Brotherhood

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ASmitty

Brotherhood

Post by ASmitty »

So, my wife and I were at the Turner County Fair on Tuesday evening this week. While we were in line to get some chislic, I noticed that the guy in front of me had a knife clipped to his pocket. As always, I took a closer look and to my delight discovered it to be a foliage green Delica in tip down configuration. I didn't get a chance to say anything to him about it, but it was nice to see someone else supporting Spyderco.

Here in South Dakota, the knife laws are fairly lax. A couple of cities have 3" blade ordinances (they're all far from where I live), but at the state level there is no blade length limit, automatic knives are legal to own and carry, and due to the widespread hunting and fishing here it's a common sight to see a knife clipped to someone's pocket.

I've been into knives since I was 12 (about 20 years), and I've carried many different brands including Kershaw, Gerber, Benchmade, and Buck to name just a few. When I saw the man at the fair with the Spyderco clipped to his pocket, I immediately felt a sort of kinship to him or that he was a kindred spirit of some sort. I never felt that for any other brands. If I'd been carrying a Kershaw and seen someone carrying a Kershaw, I wouldn't have felt that immediate connection. Part of that is because Spydercos aren't readily available in retail stores, and when they are in stores they are more expensive than other brands. To carry Spyderco is to make a conscious choice to carry a strong, high-quality pocket knife. Now, all those things are true of other brands. The other part of that feeling comes from these forums and the environment that has been created here. I just don't feel that other knife brands have created the kind of community that we as Spydernuts have. I've been to other manufacturer forums, but I just don't feel the same camaraderie as I do here.

Just something that occurred to me after my sighting this week.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ASmitty wrote:..I've been into knives since I was 12 (about 20 years), and I've carried many different brands including Kershaw, Gerber, Benchmade, and Buck to name just a few. When I saw the man at the fair with the Spyderco clipped to his pocket, I immediately felt a sort of kinship to him or that he was a kindred spirit of some sort. I never felt that for any other brands. If I'd been carrying a Kershaw and seen someone carrying a Kershaw, I wouldn't have felt that immediate connection. Part of that is because Spydercos aren't readily available in retail stores, and when they are in stores they are more expensive than other brands. To carry Spyderco is to make a conscious choice to carry a strong, high-quality pocket knife. Now, all those things are true of other brands. The other part of that feeling comes from these forums and the environment that has been created here. I just don't feel that other knife brands have created the kind of community that we as Spydernuts have. I've been to other manufacturer forums, but I just don't feel the same camaraderie as I do here.

Just something that occurred to me after my sighting this week.
It's like you read my mind exactly. I love spotting a spydie clip while in public and it does create an instant unspoken bond between you and that individual.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I work in a small knife shop that favors the blue brand, for a number of factors. Most of our customers do, too. For the most part, I'm quiet about my preference for Spyderco over the other brands we sell, and when the subject does come up I hear "yea, I just never really liked how those look," almost every time. On the occasions that I do see a Spyderco in the pocket, my eyes light up and I ask at my first opportunity which model they're carrying.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I made a thread a while back about a similar situation at the dentist's office. I spotted a clip in a guy's pocket from across the room, but it was a very distinct clip...one that was easy to identify. He was carrying a smurf blue Yojimbo 1. We talked a bit in the waiting room before going in and exchanged knives for a minute. It's great how total strangers can find a weird sort of friendship just through a common interest like that. You meet and talk to people that you may never get to know under other circumstances.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I had the opposite reaction, lol.

A work picnic with my wife and one of her coworkers had a Native3 in his pocket. ID'ing it was fun but at one point another employee asked if anyone had a knife to open a bag with...he whipped it out like Blade looking to slay a vampire. I recall unclipping and dropping mine into the pocket. :p
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

A friend of mine that owns a knife shop (he pushes the blue box too), says that his Spyderco customers are usually a little more sophisticated or knife knowledgeable than his other customers. That's probably why the "bond" is felt. Hear that fellas? We're sophisticated! :D
:spyder:
Dan
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Wish I could chime in but unfortunately in the uk not many carry .
Those that do carry spyderco slippys or Boker but the qc of the Latter is going down fast.
I'd love to spot a Clip of a spyderco and engage a conversation but round here it is unlikely .
London maybe , but for now ill get my fix here :D .
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

I definately share your thoughts on this, theres just something special about spydercos and the spyderco community but I cant quite figure out how to explain what it is.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ASmitty,

I couldn’t agree with you more! It’s always really cool to spot a fellow knife-nut—especially a Spyderco knife-nut. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen many other Spydie fans in my neck of the woods (Northeast Indiana). I suspect that this may have something to do with the general lack of “brick and mortar” knife shops in the area. (The closest Spyderco dealer in my area is about an hour away). Nevertheless, many of my fellow Hoosiers carry pocket knives as part of their daily wardrobe. Nobody even bats an eye if a person around here walks into a restaurant/church/store, etc. with a knife clipped to his/her pocket. On a few occasions, I’ve asked folks about their knives, why they chose a particular model, and if they’ve heard of Spyderco (most of them haven’t :( ).

Quick story:

During our recent trip through the Rocky Mountain National Park, my family and I stopped at a local café for lunch. As I was eating my sandwich, my wife poked me in the ribs and whispered, “He’s got a Spyderco!” I looked over at the gentleman sitting at a table nearby and I noticed he was using a Manix 2 to cut open a bag of chips for his son. How cool!

A few days later, my wife and I took a historic steam engine train ride from Silverton, CO to Durango, CO. During the ride, I casually struck up a conversation with the woman sitting next to me. As we talked, I happened to mention that we had just visited the Spyderco Headquarters in Golden. The woman turned to her husband and said, “Hey Hon. Don’t you have a few of those Spyderco knives?” Her husband said, “Yeah. I’ve got a drawer full of them at home.” My ears perked up. I pulled out my new orange FRN Dragonfly and handed it to him. Two seconds later, another gentleman leaned over and said, “Hey, let me see that!” I then passed around my foliage green FRN Ladybug. The woman stated, “I’ve got one of those! I keep it in my tackle box for when we go fishing.” I then passed around my Salt 1. Everyone was amazed to hear that the H1 blade was impervious to rust. By the end of the “knife show,” I noticed about four or five other passengers were listening intently to our conversation. (My wife, incidentally, had somehow managed to put as much distance between me and herself in the train car. I’m not sure why… ;) ).

Anyway, long live the Brotherhood! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SpyderNut wrote: Anyway, long live the Brotherhood! :)
Long live.... Spyderco and the cutlery lovers they create in us all!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Here in Kansas City, Missouri USA Earth of all places I'm noticing more of that myself. Unfortunately most of the time when I chat with someone about what they are carrying about 8 out of 10 times it's a flea market masterpiece made in some 3rd World **** hole and has the quality of a dime store fake.

But on a positive note I've made 3 new converts this year where I'm working at. The few people I'm able to convince that the quality of a knife is so important they do seem to get it after using one for a day or so.

It's truly amazing to me how cheaply many people sell out in just about every phase of their consumerism. But the few/remnant of people who are quality minded make it well worth it. It's probably always been that way but it seems like the older I get the more I notice it.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
dialex

Post by dialex »

He, he, I picked up a chick while on a mountain hike. ;) She was carying a pink Delica and that was what started the conversation. We've stayed friends since then and occasionally we meet when she gives me the knife for sharpening. If my wife finds out, I'm toast, so shhh... :o
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Knight92

Post by Knight92 »

Sounds like the college I attended the collage could not accept anymore than 1500 students total! Once you know some one even attended there you have a bond. I agree JD here in Tulsa I see a lot of crap knives from the $5 pile in the pockets around here.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I was at a folk school in NC and I saw two other guys with Spydercos. I didn't talk to one of then (no chance) who had an Endura, but I talked to the other guy. He had an ATS-55 black micarta Spyderco that I didn't recognize, but he said it was just about the best knife he'd ever had.

I think it's disco'ed...
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Pockets wrote:I was at a folk school in NC and I saw two other guys with Spydercos. I didn't talk to one of then (no chance) who had an Endura, but I talked to the other guy. He had an ATS-55 black micarta Spyderco that I didn't recognize, but he said it was just about the best knife he'd ever had.

I think it's disco'ed...

ATS-55 and Micarta makes me think Calypso Jr., but I'm sure that's not the only model with that combination.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels that way.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Since I have moved to Florida I have seen a lot of people with knives clipped in there pockets, I have not been able to identify any yet or talk to them so far its not been the right time or place to talk to a stranger about what knife he was carrying. I always find myself looking for pocket clips when I am standing in line or just shopping in a store. People are friendly enough here but its got to be the right type of store or circumstances to talk about knives with a stranger.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Very seldom I see a knife clipped to the pocket, but so far I saw Spyderco clip only on the people I know. May be this is due to where I live. :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

ASmitty wrote:ATS-55 and Micarta makes me think Calypso Jr., but I'm sure that's not the only model with that combination.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels that way.

The blade was too narrow, I think. I did a quick search after I saw it, but didn't find anything.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I have not yet seen another Spyderco in the wild.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

einstein2001 wrote:I have not yet seen another Spyderco in the wild.
In your area that seems plausable, but perhaps you have not been looking in the right places :D
*Landon*