Minimum wage, just for fun

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Technically my first paycheck was $0.10 a paper and $0.02 a flyer... 250 houses and I had to stuff the paper myself the night before (sunday paper).

Minimum wage when I finally got that was $5.35 in 2000. 13yrs later I was making $48/hr, so I think my career's on the right pace.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

$1.60. Bussing tables in a greasy spoon. Never actually got paid. The place went under 3 weeks after I started...

Ken
玉鋼
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote: To put things in perspective, gas was 27 cents a gallon for regular,
I remember those Gulf commercials. The guy pulls in (everything was full service back then) Asks for 25¢ of Good Gulf. They checked the oil, cleaned his windshield, etc at the end he says 'another 25¢ of Good Gulf!' The attendant smiles proudly and says 'Very good, sir!' <sigh>

Ken
玉鋼
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I remember those Gulf commercials. The guy pulls in (everything was full service back then) Asks for 25¢ of Good Gulf. They checked the oil, cleaned his windshield, etc at the end he says 'another 25¢ of Good Gulf!' The attendant smiles proudly and says 'Very good, sir!' <sigh>

Ken
Ah, do you remember the commercial where the guy had to collect change for gas as all his money was just spent on an aftermarket stainless "foot" gas pedal. I remember that well, along with the "come to Marlboro country" commercials.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

First full time job this year (I'm young) , 13.75 NZD per hour before tax, so that a $11.05 usd labouring in the engineering field
dialex

Post by dialex »

Memories, memories...back in the 80's when I got my first job, the average salary was about 100 $ a month - and I was happy (please note that this happened in Romania, a former comunist country in Eastern Europe). After the Revoution in 1989 when we got rid of the dictator (and the comunism itself for that matter), we had the first benefits - the wages dropped to about 65 $. :o Then they slowly begun to grow, nowadays the average salary is about 500 $ (FYI, a gallon of gas costs now about 22 - 23 $).
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
girlyMANN

Post by girlyMANN »

Jax wrote:^ man to have a million dollars back in the sixties! :)
sorry! but i can't help recalling this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTmXHvGZiSY
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

I think I was at $1.75 in 1971 as an apprentice cabinet maker, but can't remember exactly. Soon got a raise to $2.00, so things were good!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

In California it's currently $8.00/hour. In some places like San Francisco it's $10.55/hour. The lowest I've been paid on a real paycheck is $8.00/hour, when CA's minimum wage had just been bumped up to that mark a few years ago. Previous to that I had been paid per week/month, or in cash/per job.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

My first job was a hotdog stand when I was middle school. The guy who was my boss refused to pay me so instead of 9$ an hour +tips i made 2$ an hour +some tips.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Know I live in Quebec (Canada).... Something tells me starting with that intro will make 90% of the forum go away... Anyway... Soooo... I started in a hot dog and fries in 1988 at 8$ an hour. I worked for 2 days and decided I had enough money for the summer (I was 15, my parents were giving me 20$ week for doing things aroud the house) and I was (still am!!) very low maintenance.....

I felt rich at the time. Now, as a teacher, 60$/hour, with all the billls and mortgage, I feel poor.... What is wrong???? ;-)
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

psimonl wrote:Know I live in Quebec (Canada).... Something tells me starting with that intro will make 90% of the forum go away... Anyway... Soooo... I started in a hot dog and fries in 1988 at 8$ an hour. I worked for 2 days and decided I had enough money for the summer (I was 15, my parents were giving me 20$ week for doing things aroud the house) and I was (still am!!) very low maintenance.....

I felt rich at the time. Now, as a teacher, 60$/hour, with all the billls and mortgage, I feel poor.... What is wrong???? ;-)
I remember when I was young and still living at home. A few dollars was all I needed also. I didn't seem to realize the food on the table and the house I slept in didn't automatically just happen. :) Boy was I in for a surprise. :D I also remember the day I found out I didn't get a 3 month vacation every year like when in 1st thru 12th grade (all 14 years of it :) ).

Most people here don't think THAT bad about people in Canada. Being of low intli,,,inetllg,,,innintel,,,,, smarts is no crime. :D

Jack
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I grew up in a small, third generation family-owned business. Up until high-school, I was basically an indentured servant working for room and board. ;)

If you own a small business, you know what I'm talking about. You end up spending almost every waking minute of every day thinking/worrying/strategizing about the business, and this includes members of your family. If the back shop needed to be cleaned up and there was no employee free to do it - my brother and I saluted and tackled the job. That's just the way it works...

TedP