shark week

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rosconey

shark week

Post by rosconey »

man just watched -megaladon the monster shark lives

i for 1 wont be going into the ocean anytime soon on any boat under 300 foot-

this show was wild-just imagine a 80ton 100 foot shark alive today

it starts out about a fishing boat that was attacked this past spring
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

*Insert "Jaws" theme music here* :eek:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I too enjoyed that special yesterday and tonight I am watching "Return of Jaws" on Discovery right now. It is a documentary special about tagging and tracking Great Whites that hunt seals within 15 of the shore in and around Chatham, MA. Seriously makes me concerned .... seriously. Makes me think about carrying an Aqua Salt or Warrior the next time I have to go into the ocean.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

rosconey wrote:man do i feel stupid

http://blog.seattlepi.com/hottopics/201 ... cumentary/
It was revealed in the after talk when the scientist that was in the cage during the supposed tagging came out and said he though the legend was just that. If he was in the water with this supposed creature I am pretty sure he would be saying it WAS REAL. Either way it was way more entertaining than some of the other garbage on TV.
*Landon*
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I watched the show and there is no way that there is a living Megaladon. Just shark week filler.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

The Megalodon story reminded me of a UFO show, "It's really true if we repeat the same stuff over and over." :D

Still, it was all worth it all to watch the Snuffy the seal commercials.

[video=youtube_share;bhGV23y1zgg]http://youtu.be/bhGV23y1zgg[/video]

Hey, a sharks 'gotta eat.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

My kids believed it. Actually my son was kind of bummed out that they aren't alive anymore. :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

My kids believed it too and my youngest son is more than a little bummed, he is kinda pissed! :cool:
:spyder:
Dan
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I used to collect sand shark teeth fossilised from a south coast beach in the uk they are 600 million years old .
Carbon dated so thought it odd that a megaladon tooth hadn't been found there .
Low and behold a few months after I left three of the best specimens ever found in the uk were pulled right from the same spot ,
Its surprisingly easy to find them too as they always get sifted to the top near mussel beds these ones sold for between 2k and 4k respectively .
Although smaller examples can be brought for about 700$ if you look .
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Pinetreebbs wrote:The Megalodon story reminded me of a UFO show, "It's really true if we repeat the same stuff over and over." :D

Still, it was all worth it all to watch the Snuffy the seal commercials.

[video=youtube_share;bhGV23y1zgg]http://youtu.be/bhGV23y1zgg[/video]

Hey, a sharks 'gotta eat.
Heh heh. I love that commercial! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

It's a bad week to be a seal.

Ha!
JD Spydo

Megladon: Will hurt the resort businesses

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah I look forward to "SHARK WEEK" on the Discovery Channel every summer. That special show on the Megladon Shark was truly intriguing. I for one always want evidence of such things but you can't overlook that whale getting it's entire tail bit off :eek: . You also can't overlook the sighting that the Brazilian Rescue team showed on their footage :confused: . I'm not quite ready conclude that Megladon does exist but that show sure put out some evidence that demands some kind of a verdict.

I am disappointed at this year's SHARK WEEK because of the disproportionate amount of shows that only study the Great White Shark. I was wanting to see a show about the Mako, Lemon or even Hammerhead shark species. The Mako is probably my favorite Shark of them all. It's like a live torpedo and probably the fastest shark in the ocean.

If they do prove that Megladon does indeed exist I bet that will really hurt business for many of these beaches and resort areas :eek:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I agree with you JD on the disproportionate amount of great white shows. I did enjoy the Bull Shark segment, I believe it was swamp sharks or something.
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Evil D wrote:Image
That's the first thing that entered my mind when I saw this thread quality , "don't touch my drum kit " :D .
JD Spydo

Top 10 most deadly sharks was awesome

Post by JD Spydo »

Dateline Wednesday August 07, 2013>> This evenings great show on SHARK WEEK that had the top 10 most deadly sharks in the ocean was probably the best show I've seen up till now. I was surprised that the Oceanic White Tip shark was rated at #6 because the late, great oceanogragher Jacque Cousteau once declared that he thought it to be the most dangerous shark in the entire ocean based on several very aggressive aspects of that particular shark's behavior.

It didn't surprise me that the Mako and Blue sharks were both rated fairly high because both of them are super speedsters and extremely dangerous.

I'm also wanting to know more about the Bull Shark's ability to live in fresh water just as well as in salt water. They tend to be highly populated in Australia's river systems which I find very curious.

I do hope that they do another show on the Megladon. That show had some really compelling evidence and I would like to know more about the possible existence of such a monster. It does seem like the shows are getting better as the week goes on.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

JD Spydo wrote:Dateline Wednesday August 07, 2013>> This evenings great show on SHARK WEEK that had the top 10 most deadly sharks in the ocean was probably the best show I've seen up till now. I was surprised that the Oceanic White Tip shark was rated at #6 because the late, great oceanogragher Jacque Cousteau once declared that he thought it to be the most dangerous shark in the entire ocean based on several very aggressive aspects of that particular shark's behavior.

It didn't surprise me that the Mako and Blue sharks were both rated fairly high because both of them are super speedsters and extremely dangerous.

I'm also wanting to know more about the Bull Shark's ability to live in fresh water just as well as in salt water. They tend to be highly populated in Australia's river systems which I find very curious.

I do hope that they do another show on the Megladon. That show had some really compelling evidence and I would like to know more about the possible existence of such a monster. It does seem like the shows are getting better as the week goes on.
One of the most informative documentaries/shows I've seen that looks into this is a show called River monsters .
Its on cable but originally a British TV show by a marine biologist and fisherman named Jeremy Wade .
He goes all over investigating stories of fish killing people then trying to prove if its likely or more myth , well bull sharks obviously can kill humans .
This one episode he heads out to Oz and takes on catching Bull sharks in the main river they inhabit , also the Amazon iirc.
Surprisingly they co exists with swimmers in a river with very few attacks as they have learnt if they follow boats the chances are a fisherman will catch a fish the shark then steals it .
The authorities pay people to fish so the sharks stay full , look it up if you haven't heard of the series.
He has caught fish you've never heard of and more also recently found three other shark species that travel from sea to river .
And not just estuary,s but real inland fresh water rivers worth googling if you haven't seen them , the one where he catches a giant fresh water sting ray in the Mekong river is amazing .
In fact Thailand has the worlds best predator lakes your more likely to catch an aripama from the Amazon in Thailand than South America .
There's also a particularly wincing episode on the candiru a 8 cm specimen extracted from one guy who took a leak in a river :O .
I jumped out of a boat in Borneo once to take a leak and was shouted at but thought they were pulling my chain , **** lucky I had shorts on I'd rather face a Bull shark than a candiru :D .

And btw the USS Indianapolis incident they identified the most likely shark that attacked was the white tip .
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you for posting this. The study of sharks happens to be one of my top favorites. When I was a kid we visited the National Seashore in Pensacola, Florida, and I remember playing in the water between the actual beach and a nearby small sandbar, when I saw this torpedo shape fish moving towards me. I freaked out, and I was only like a foot or two in the water, so I was back on shore as it came near. I don't remember what kind it was: Possibly a sand shark or tiger shark, I don't know. But I remember years later some kid getting bit off Pensacola by a shark.

What do you all think of the "Rogue Shark" theory, that some sharks truly do get a taste or habit of attacking humans and eating human flesh, and hang around areas known for human activity? Some believe this, others think it is only done by weak, sick or injured sharks who cannot get regular access to their natural prey like seals and fish.
The same question applies to other predators like tigers and lions and such.

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEMjfalX0iA

Here is a Bull shark in the shallows near Pensacola.
Does it look like the guy who grabs the shark is trying to help it get back in the water, or strand it on the sand?