Fallkniven, Chris Reeve, or...?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Fallkniven, Chris Reeve, or...?

Post by Blerv »

Hey everyone,

I'm toying with the idea of getting something different. Looking at the Fallkniven PXL, PXL Workhorse, and P3G. Maybe a small CRK Sebenza. Something more classy than tactical.

Any personal opinions on these or alternative suggestions in that $350 range? I know that's almost a Southard AND Gayle Bradley but...shrug.

Thanks! :D

*note: the Fallkniven PXL WH is like $130 with FRN scales.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I would say make sure about the size, I have a small Sebenza Ebony inlay and I love it but for me I find it small. Nothing you can really fault the knives on, they are impeccable. One model I think is a beauty is the Insingo Micarta. I love the blade shape and the Micarta scales, the only thing I would have liked a little better, is if they would have polished the back like they do on the other inlayed models as the sandblasted finishes tend to show the scratches more. I have no experience with Fallkniven.Here is my 21 next to a caly 3, very comparable size.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I, like you am a Spyderco lover (and fanboy) at heart. Recently however I have been able to taste my first CRK and Strider. Needless to say, I have fallen hard in certain ways. I personally think the fit and finish on the CRK is unreal. I love the Strider and it's bank-vault RIL, but the pivot just isn't as smooth as I find acceptable. If I was spending your money (and I will if you decide to ask a good friend), I might look into the small sebenza or the Mnandi.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks all :) .

The Insingo is certainly tempting.
Clip

Post by Clip »

My vote is for the Insingo. Hell, get both and sell the one you don't like, it's not like they lose much value.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
alerin

Post by alerin »

I would suggest the Small Sebenza with CF scales, I love mine. My next CRK is the Small Insingo with CF scales. As for the Fallkniven, I only have two F1's, so I can't offer any help. Good luck
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am not Sebenza fan. I never had one, but was able to handle few of them on the knife shows. F&F are great, but I wasn't impressed with ergos, also I do not like the blade shape. I like Fallkniven PXL, actually I like many Fallknivens, but for me they are not worth the money, they sold for. Did you have a chance to check out Moki? I beleive that many Fallknivens made by them.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I haven't yet but will. Also was looking at Al Mar, which on average is a cheaper knife but seem high quality and still a different flavor.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I looked at Sebenza's at three different booths at the Blade Show and never found one I could open. I just think Spyderco's are the best knives in the world for the money. I was badly disapointed in all the high end knives.
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

Never had a Fallkniven knives but have had many Sebenzas (sold them off since). My favorite was just the plain jane drop point small Sebenza. It was the perfect size and I just loved how the titanium wore (getting scratched up) with use and time. They all had excellent fit and finish. CRK customer service is really good too, one time I stripped a screw and they sent me a new one for free within a week.
Stony

Post by Stony »

I would look at a small Insingo, great knife. I have 3 small Insingo's and love them. The Micarta Insingo is probably my favorite EDC blade of all time.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ugh. Those are painfully beautiful :) .
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Though I enjoy my CRK Sebenza with Insingo blade for anyone interested in a Sebenza I would advise them on three things.

- If your curious about them, buy one.
- If you buy one expect to be underwhelmed with initial impressions.
- Use it for some time and see if it is for you.

Within the price range there are elegant knives from many custom knife makers:

"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Blerv wrote:I haven't yet but will. Also was looking at Al Mar, which on average is a cheaper knife but seem high quality and still a different flavor.
keep in the mind that many Al Mars also made by Moki. Many gents knives by Al Mar, which are made by Moki look also like Moki, but Al Mars have more variety in scale materials and sizes. Recently I bought Moki Kronus, it is beautiful. Unfortunately I made a mistake and bought large with 3.25" blade, only when I got it I realized that a smaller size Kronus would fit my intended use better.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Well, I went and did it... :rolleyes:

Probably should have saved up or considered the "big picture" but Fallkniven not too long ago released their PXL Work Horse. It's an exact copy of their standard PXL Magnum except:

* Grilian (similar to FRN) scales over the standard PXL liners
* Laminated Cobalt Special blade
* No clip
* Lighter (only 6oz :p )
* Less than half the cost, and twice as boring

I hear the clip of the standard one is somewhat obtrusive so many take it off. Also heard the standard knife (to some) is somewhat slick. Will keep ya guys posted, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to a Sebbie or Strider SJ-75 someday!
mattman

Post by mattman »

it didn't happen...

:D
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice. I haven't heard enough about Cobalt Special yet.

Congrats on the purchase.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Donut wrote:Nice. I haven't heard enough about Cobalt Special yet.

Congrats on the purchase.
+1... I loved the mule and this is the first I had read about laminated CoS blades for production folders. Please share your use Blake when have had time to put it through it's paces.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Will do :) . Thank you for all your great suggestions and interest.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Fallkniven PXL Workhorse arrived yesterday.

It feels very comfortable in hand and is super smooth. Compared next to the Manix2 M4 sprint it weighs .2 ounces more (4.5 vs 4.3) so not that bad. I ended up tying a Chris Reeve lanyard with a GITD cord and a TEC Accessories P-7 suspension clip.

Once lubed the blade closes quite quickly via gravity. That with the lack of a choil can be a thumb slicer if you don't disengage close to the pivot. I've been just closing deliberately instead of the standard "watch TV and flick" approach. ;)

Oh...and I still hate thumb-studs. Just for the record.

It arrive