Thread devoted entirely to pocket clips

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RanCoWeAla

Thread devoted entirely to pocket clips

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have wanted to start a thread for some time now devoted entirely to pocket clips because for me clip and positioning of the clip can make or break the purchase of a new knife. This is the same way in which the sheath determinez whether or not I will buy a fixed blade.
The clip has to be set for tip up right hand carry and unless it can at least be moved for that positioning I refuse to buy the knife it's that simple. I'll admit it took a while to reach the conclusion but the Spiderco wire clip is my favorite. Since the tip is not sllid it really digs in, it soesn't show scratches or paint coming off and it won't scratch the side of your car or whatever else you happen to bump into as bad.
I don't think a clip should ever be skeletonized in any way by cutting designs or company names into it because this weakens the clip. Also the metalurgy has to be the right composition to allow the clip to flex and spring back without breaking. What lead to finally to do this thread was ghe SOG Knife that I just sent back with a broken clip. I had the knife in my collection for four or five years and thought it was a wonderful knife although I don't care for any of the SOG Knives. This one the Vulcan has VG10 steel and the smoothest action of any knife I have ever handled. Anyway, I got they knife out of my collection last eeek to see how it would carry. The clip broke in less than a week while I was sitting in my chair watching tv of all things. It had the skeletonized clip with all the fancy little designs cut into it to where there are only two very narrow strips of metal right where the clip flexes. I think a clip needs to be of good wire or solid steel. My friend has a beautiful MCUSTA knife out of Quince wood and Damascus that the clip has broken off of. It has the same cut outs and two narrow strips of steel where the clip flexes also.
The SOG knife is on it's way right. now back to the warranty shop along with a piece of my mind over a clip that lasted less than a week.
Please I would like to hear any input anyone has as far as pocket clips.
Buddha UK

Post by Buddha UK »

For me it's a wire clip, right handed tip up carry as well. Haven't found a clip that works better for me than the wire clip. Wish all my knives had one! :-)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Buddha UK wrote:For me it's a wire clip, right handed tip up carry as well. Haven't found a clip that works better for me than the wire clip. Wish all my knives had one! :-)
I'm with you on that. The wire clip really bites right near the end where it should.
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

As much as I love the wire clip, my vote has to go to the regular clip (non painted) that comes on the native G10, para 2, and others. I do like having the knife show a little out of pocket which gives me something to grasp and pull out easier. Also for me it just makes the knife feel a lot more clamped to the pocket. Maybe it was just mine but I have had a couple of knives with the wire clips fall out of my pocket (especially getting in and out of vehicles).
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Here's one on an old Delica Clipit. I rubbed the paint off (at least mostly) and buffed it a little. I really like the flat spoon and good retention it offers. Not too pretty, but certainly functional and fits well on this knife.

Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

I have looked a quite a few Spyderco's lately and really like some of them but the pocket clip turns me off. I just don't like the wire clips I prefer the three screw clips like my Tuff. I have not carried a wire clip but I looked at them in a retail store and the ones I looked at seemed weak compared to the other style. I also don't like the way they mount with only one screw with the wire underneath the screw head. I am sure a lot of you have other opinions about the wire clip but when Spyderco first came out with the pocket clip like on the stainless police the clip set the knife apart from others and now everyone has followed suit. I don't think they should have tried to improve a perfect clip and wish they would offer the original clip on the models with the wire clip.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This clearly shows the differences in taste. I love the barrel mounted clips and the wire clips top them. I would rank the 3 screw clips third in my priority. The flexibility means I am not going to snag it on something and need to order a replacement from Golden.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To be honest, the only knives I ever carry clipped are Microtech OTF autos. First thing I do when I buy a Spyderco I intend to carry is to remove the clip. For that reason, I prefer models without clips or at least with clips that disfigure the handle as little as possible when removed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I prefer wire clips, but I've never seen any clip break off a Spyderco. I prefer to carry my knives tip up in my left pocket. I'm right handed, but quite ambidextrous and more often use my knife with my left hand.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Buddha UK wrote:For me it's a wire clip, right handed tip up carry as well. Haven't found a clip that works better for me than the wire clip. Wish all my knives had one! :-)
This. :D