Opinel knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Re: Opinel knives

Post by jackknifeh »

Three months or so ago I used Ballistol on the pivot because it is used for wood as well as leather, steel and a bunch of stuff. Got the Opinel out today and man is the pivot smooth. Smoother than every before and about as smooth as knives with washers. I was concerned about how to care for the pivot since the handle is wood. I don't know of another product that claims to be effective as a leather and/or wood conditioner as well as a lubricant. Perfect for Opinel knives and any other with both wood and steel in the pivot.

I guess this is a plug for Ballistol more than the Opinel. :)
WMR

Post by WMR »

Some of the most fun that I have had with Opinel is playing with their "Raw Handle Series." I tried my hand (for the first time) at wood carving. Then later, and more recently I decided that the handle would be perfect if I could copy my Caly 3.5. That was going fairly well until I realized that the tip extruded from the end of the slot when closed. I just ground the tip down sacrificing about 1/4 inch of the blade so as not to sacrifice my hand. I plan to do another one with more attention to this problem. Possibly deepen the slot or alter the handle shape slightly. When I finished the Caly 3.5 copy it seemed too thick for my hand so I really tapered it down. This gave me very pleasing ergonomics for my hand. The experiments have been fun but photography is not one of my talents. Also, I am still trying to figure how to post multiple pictures on this new forum format. Anyway, here is a shot of the raw handle, my first carving and the Caly 3.5 handle copy.
Opinel 032.JPG
WMR

Post by WMR »

Here is a closer look at the handle. It was carved from an Olivewood raw handle series.
Attachments
Opinel 046.JPG
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

WMR, That is a beautiful handle! I think I might have to look into one of these someday.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

What a great idea. I reshaped my #6 handle some but nothing artistic. I just didn't like the hump on the top of the end of the handle. I love the guy climbing a tree handle. Can we see the other side? Great work.

Jack
WMR

Post by WMR »

Thanks Jack. The guy climbing the tree was actually sort of a native girl. My first and last attempt at carving.

Will
Opinel 034.JPG
dub

Post by dub »

I LOVE these knives. They're possibly my favorite.

Here is 3 of mine, all #6. I have another #6 carbon for backup, #6 in olive, #7 carbon and a #5.

My carbon here is my first Opinel and it's been through a lot. I left it closed on a bookshelf for a couple months and it ended up having some corrosion :eek: (I live in Hawaii). I decided to take some sandpaper and polish to it earlier. Got rid of the rust that was forming (parts that were raised on the blade), although there are now some war marks :P.