Opinel knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

jackknifeh wrote:They are great knives to use to learn to sharpen I think. The steel gets very sharp when sharpened correctly or accurately. And the belly, being a bit more drastic makes that a good knife for learning also. Maintaining a consistent angle around the belly is more difficult I think than on a straight section of the edge.

I like the way the handle is shaped on yours. It looks far more comfortable to use than the Opinel I got. Let us know how you like it after using it for a while. :

Jack
I have some of each shape, and this pointier one doesn't feel as secure in the hand, and "feels" shorter.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Anybody seen these:

I don't think I like this.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ginsuwarrior wrote:Anybody seen these:

I would have to try one out to see how handy it was. I am not liking the multiple serration options, but perhaps it could have merit.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ned

Post by Ned »

If you need to strip wires or cable it might be handy. The bits are held in place on the handle with a magnet, I think Victorinox probably has a more practical product. I buy Opinels because they are inexpensive, use quality steel and the blades are so thin. This version I confess, holds no interest for me personally.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Ned wrote:If you need to strip wires or cable it might be handy. The bits are held in place on the handle with a magnet, I think Victorinox probably has a more practical product. I buy Opinels because they are inexpensive, use quality steel and the blades are so thin. This version I confess, holds no interest for me personally.
If you replace the bits with appropriate size torx, it will be a nice way to adjust Spydie pivots and pocket clips on the go. The lack of carbon steel really makes it less appealing to me.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Anyone have one of the Sandvik 12C27 Opinel's? Bit more expensive at about $30 here where I live.

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ginsuwarrior wrote:Anybody seen these:

I like the basic idea of the knife. What seems strange to me is that it is an Opinel. In my limited experience with Opinel's knives this knife deviates from Opinel's well known standard. That is my objection. However, I realize my objection is trivial. I do like the notches for stripping wires. I put a notch like the curved one on a couple of my knives. Using the notch for stripping wires does take a little getting used to but after you develop the knack they work well. The screwdriver bit is always a nice thing to have as well. Is there a bit on the other side of the handle also? Are they the 1/4" standard bit size? If so you ould replace whatever comes with the knife with something else if you want. As someone else said a couple of torx would be nice for Spyderco knives. The most common I've seen are the T6 and T9. One drawback to adding additional features to an already great product is sometimes it takes away from the greatness of the "one" tool. I think I'd have to hold one to know if I liked it. I think it could be a useful tool though.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I found the yellow Opinel on their site.

http://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/o ... 8WViUFOk1I
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Just ordered my first Opinel in stainless

Wanted to try one of the "fancy" ones ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Ned

Post by Ned »

That is a fine looking knife Ken, is that the ebony handled one?
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Ned wrote:That is a fine looking knife Ken, is that the ebony handled one?
Thanks! Yep. Ebony No 8

Come to Poppa! ;)

Ken
玉鋼
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

It's here!

I love this one. Feels great in the hand. They put a pretty nice polish on it too.

Ken
玉鋼
araneae

Post by araneae »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Anyone have one of the Sandvik 12C27 Opinel's? Bit more expensive at about $30 here where I live.

I have that knife in orange, I really wish it was available in plain edge.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Ned

Post by Ned »

kbuzbee wrote:It's here!

I love this one. Feels great in the hand. They put a pretty nice polish on it too.

Ken
That really is a nice looking knife, I've been eying the bubinga version of that knife..

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Ned wrote:That really is a nice looking knife, I've been eying the bubinga version of that knife..
Thanks! I was between this and the Rosewood. I may grab one of those at some point.

Ken
玉鋼
remnar

Post by remnar »

I dropped my Opinel today. I was lucky enough to get my bare feet out of the way, but the oak floor now has a scar.

I thought it might just be stuck in the carpet runner, but when I pulled it out I knew that wasn't the case.

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

You were supposed to use your cat like ninja reflexes to deftly close the blade with your toes before it hit ;)

Seriously, I'm glad you got your foot out of the way. Been there myself, I know that feeling!

Ken
玉鋼
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Remnar, does your wife know about this little mishap on the hardwood? :eek: :D
- best wishes, Jazz.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Jazz wrote:Remnar, does your wife know about this little mishap on the hardwood? :eek: :D
No, and she won't. :D

I will say, my skills with the Sharpmaker are getting better and getting that tip sharp is not as difficult as it once was. :)
remnar

Post by remnar »

kbuzbee wrote:You were supposed to use your cat like ninja reflexes to deftly close the blade with your toes before it hit ;)

Seriously, I'm glad you got your foot out of the way. Been there myself, I know that feeling!

Ken
Ken,

My Toejitsu is a little rusty, so I thought it would be better not to risk it. :D