Opinel knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Opinel knives

Post by jackknifeh »

I recently was turned on to Opinel knives by a forum member. I got a #6 and love it. I've used it a bit and made a couple modifications to it that I'll share. These knives are so much different than any Spyderco or about any brand I've used that I think they deserve their own place in knife world. :) If anyone wants to post Opinel stuff you can post it here so all Opinel info is easy to find or start a new thread, doesn't matter. :) Opinel knives have been discussed some already. Such a basic design while using a good blade steel is nice IMO. Anyway, here is my knife modification flow.

Brand new (blurry sorry)

Handle shape modification. Much more comfortable.

Nail nick access modification.

Blade patina

I have left the handle with the natural wood (beechwood) showing. I sealed it against moisture but that is all. I don't have any plans to change it unless I see something that I like. Any ideas anyone?
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I'm going to pickup one for a light weight hunting/backpacking blade. Then if I lose it no big deal.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you for posting this. I love Opinel Knives. They are incredible in their quality and price and usefulness! Has Spyderco ever considered doing a Spyder Ring Lock type knife? I think a person should carry an Opinel and a Spyderco and a Buck Bantam folder.

The history of Opinel is interesting, too. They put tree stumps and rolls and bars of steel in one end of the factory and out the other comes thousands of excellent knives.
In France Opinel is known like Buck and Spyderco are known in the USA, and they carry it as part of their everyday attire. Fresh-baked bread, high quality cheeses, great wine, and an Opinel knife.

I forget, is the number six stainless or carbon?

OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I'll play. Here are a couple of mine in olivewood. I keep one in my range bag, its thin blade is great for slicing excess paper off of targets.
:spyder:
Dan
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Nice Jack! I like the rounded off end. Did you use your Dremel to do that?

I know the 12C27 is a good steel but I like their carbon steel. Sure wish there were more offerings in it. So many nicer handles, but all of them are stainless.

Ken
玉鋼
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

[video=youtube;Mz6KHl5HbNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz6KHl5HbNk[/video]
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

This post made me go pull my #8 out of my cabinet, dang it's so humid around here I couldn't get the blade out with my my fingers because the wood was so swollen! Anyways, the #8 is carbon and has a blade length around 3 inches. These blades are slicy!!! Like a dang scalpel. Very thin at edge, when I got in the mail new I couldn't even make out a bevel, it was like a con-vexed kitchen knife or something!

I like to wear a beret and drink wine, then trim my fingernails with my opinel!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I carry a No. 8 in my day pack!! You can not beat these knives!! They get SCARY sharp... And the lite weight cant be beat!! I l LIKE mine alot!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Any one seen the new opines outdoor stainless .
I brought a #6 beech for a mate he said he put it on the spyder maker .
Then micro mesh and is a razor only problem for me is the Carbone ones my area is salty .
That didn't sound right the air is salty :D rusts too easy but ill get a SS soon .
I think they are in the top ten of most sold items an opines is sold every 5 minutes or something like that .
Here they have been a mod source for edc as the roto bloc counts as a lock knife .
Great knives I may invest in a more expensive one eventually .
But I like the Le theirs too a nice juniper with file work is a beautiful French knife .
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Opinels set a standard for slicing performance in production knives. They're very easy to sharpen and maintain. Opinels and SAKs are fantastic.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

That olivewood is pretty. Mine is one of the boring ones in the regular wood with no figure :(
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Here's a link to a video featuring the Opinel factory. [url=http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOINV-U5GEg]
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Here's a link to a video featuring the Opinel factory. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNELKUpH10k
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Here are my 4. All very well used...

Ken
玉鋼
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Thank you for posting this. I love Opinel Knives. They are incredible in their quality and price and usefulness! Has Spyderco ever considered doing a Spyder Ring Lock type knife? I think a person should carry an Opinel and a Spyderco and a Buck Bantam folder.

The history of Opinel is interesting, too. They put tree stumps and rolls and bars of steel in one end of the factory and out the other comes thousands of excellent knives.
In France Opinel is known like Buck and Spyderco are known in the USA, and they carry it as part of their everyday attire. Fresh-baked bread, high quality cheeses, great wine, and an Opinel knife.

I forget, is the number six stainless or carbon?

Mine is carbon. To be honest I wasn't and still am not interested in the stainless models. Except if I ever get some of the kitchen knives. The thing that attracted me to these things was the recommendation of the edge the carbon blades take. If I remember right many of the knives come in carbon and stainless so you need to be sure of what you are ordering.
kbuzbee wrote:Nice Jack! I like the rounded off end. Did you use your Dremel to do that?

Ken
Yes, the majority of it. I used sanding drums on the end to remove the hump at the end of the handle. The hump is nice for larger knives or smaller hands but when it hits the back of my palm it was uncomfortable when cutting trees down. :) I used the abrasive buffs to remove the finish from the rest of the handle. These are great for sanding when you don't want to leave significant flat spots like the drums will leave. The surface still isn't completely round or real smooth after using them so I used fine grit sandpaper to finish with. Then I sprayed it with some moisture aerosol stuff, This sometimes raises grain in bare wood so I gave it a light sanding again and sprayed it again.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

mrphotoman wrote:[video=youtube;Mz6KHl5HbNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz6KHl5HbNk[/video]
Very cool video. Definitely bigger than mine. :)
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Ordered a couple last night (#8 in SS & carbon) just for fun. Cheapest knives I'b bought in years, so looking forward to seeing how they do.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

noseoil wrote:Ordered a couple last night (#8 in SS & carbon) just for fun. Cheapest knives I'b bought in years, so looking forward to seeing how they do.
When these knives were recommended to me the thing most talked about was the edge they take and hold. I don't remember anything about price except "inexpensive". When I found some on ebay I was shocked (and happy :) ) by the prices. Depending on who you order from the shipping may be more than the price of some of the smaller knives. :) I don't really care for the term "for the money" but, for the money these guys are great buys. I have to say in my limited experience these are the best quality knife "for the money" :) that I've seen. :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I wonder how hard it would be to make a handle for an Opinel. You would really want a lathe but I'm sure normal wood working tools would do. Just take longer. My Dremel would be put to use I'm sure. The tricky thing may be to get the first metal ring on the handle correctly to control pivot tension. Then the lock ring on lock models.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? Not necessarily to an Opinel knife. I'm speaking (typing) of the metal rings and getting them on properly. I saw the Queen factory video and I don't want to buy one of those "man-sized" machines to make a new handle for my little #6. :)
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Love my Opinels!

I always take one with me when I collect something from German customs. Due to German carry restriction laws, I open it very ostentatiously with both hands, nicely and very slowly and cut the package open. Oh, that seems to be sharp, they often say then.

I have a stainless Number 6, which accompanies me to customs, a Carbone (not stainless) and the smallest one, it's all of 3 1/8 in. in overall length, blade length is approx. 1 3/8 in., but it's very sharp too and it's really cute!
Don't underestimate it!