SE, PE or CE????

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

Which edge do you prefer??

Spyderedge
12%
Plainedge
75%
Combo edge
13%

Total votes: 52

Knivesinedc

SE, PE or CE????

Post by Knivesinedc »

Vote for your favorite and tell why.

I cast my vote for SE, because of how well they cut almost Everything. They also hold their edge longer And, In my opinion, are easier to sharpen. Unless they are cheap Serrations that you get on a $15-20 knife, those can be pretty bad.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Clip

Post by Clip »

PE as my sharpening stones won't fit SE. Plus I find plain edges useful for what I do.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
appliancejunk

Post by appliancejunk »

PE is my favorite.

Seems when cutting cardboard with a SE small pieces of the cardboard will sometimes stay caught on one of the SE teeth and get folded into the handle of the knife. I never have that problem with a PE.

I also find it easier to spray a PE blade with WD40 and wipe down to remove tape residue and other gunk from the edge.

Flat ground PE just works best for me.
:spyder: Ladybug 3 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
:spyder: Delica 4 Blue FRN FG
:spyder: Sharpmaker

EDC Knife: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
EDC Flashlight: Fenix LD12 XP-G2
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I like to keep things simple, so it's PE for me, and I also avoid hawkbills, recurves, and reverse S blades because of the concave curves in their edges. That way my knives are easy to sharpen using the flat stones I've had sixty years of practice with. PE is also the most efficient edge for 90% or more of the cutting I do with a knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've been carrying a C44 Dyad for years. Why should I limit myself?
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

yablanowitz wrote:I've been carrying a C44 Dyad for years. Why should I limit myself?
+1

Ultimately, I voted for CE. Why? Because a combo-edged blade provides the user with the best of both worlds in one convenient package (especially when limited to carrying only one knife). Having said that, however, I would personally choose a plain-edged blade over a fully serrated blade for an EDC simply because the plain-edge is more useful for my every day cutting needs.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I voted plain edge because for my use, that will handle almost all of my edc chores.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

SpyderNut wrote:+1

Ultimately, I voted for CE. Why? Because a combo-edged blade provides the user with the best of both worlds in one convenient package (especially when limited to carrying only one knife). Having said that, however, I would personally choose a plain-edged blade over a fully serrated blade for an EDC simply because the plain-edge is more useful for my every day cutting needs.
I find the combo edge perfect for when I want not enough of either plain or serrated. Which is never.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Generally I have a full SE and a full PE in my pocket or with me. Having said that, I use SE more and PE. The only time I've used PE more than SE is when we when camping last weekend. The thing was the PE was an Axe not a knife.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Combo as I find a lot of the time if you want a controlled precise cut , eg a line or breaking into the surface of something which requires accuracy . The serrations act as a sort of guider where the PE will easily over cut .
Try cutting through something quite resistant needing to maintain a straight line when you exert the force needed its quite easy to overshoot the mark.
The combo gives more control IMO maybe I'm ham fisted and to brut force :D .
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

SE and PE. I generally carry two or three knives, so I have both edge types. That said, I think I'm going to buy a CE Millie next. I "need" to try a knife with CE...
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
bh49

Post by bh49 »

PE.
Emerson Traveler CE was my first quality knife, which I carried for couple month, but I found that there is not enough PE or SE and sold it or traded. I do not remember, it was long time ago. When I got into Spydercos and started to read forums daily SE intrigued me. I bought SE Delica and carried it along with Delica PE. I didn't find much use for SE in my daily routine and when I finally dull it on cardboard boxes it took really long time to sharpen. So if I ever need to cut a lot of rope I would rather use really toothy S30V.
IMHO PE just more universal.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Pockets wrote:SE and PE. I generally carry two or three knives, so I have both edge types. That said, I think I'm going to buy a CE Millie next. I "need" to try a knife with CE...
You won't regret the CE Millie. I would pick this as my one and only knife 99% of the time. It is basically a plainedge native (lengthwise) with a SE dragonfly (lengthwise) thrown in to the mix. Since i will carry that type of combo or similar with me it works out perfectly.

CE for me although I carry any of the three.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I voted PE and PE will always be my primary edge. If I can only have one knife, it would be PE. That said, I have been and plan on EDC'ing SE knives for the foreseeable future, especially the FFG/SE knives. I have found that they do just fine for most of my daily EDC needs, and I don't feel that I'm at a loss by having SE as opposed to finding a situation where I would love to have a SE knife, regardless of how well the PE happens to perform. I will always have a PE Ladybug as a backup if I need to do fine slicing work, and I always have my PE blade on my Spirit. At the moment I'm back to carrying my 20CP Para 2, but when my SE Stretch comes back in the mail, it's going right in my pocket. My next purchase (aside from the forum knife and likely the S90V Yo 2 sprint) is a SE Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

I prefer PE, but SE is very useful, and essential in certain circumstances (cutting rope and bread)

Of course the correct answer is both - I have a Byrd Wings, which is one of my most used knives, and a micarta mini Dyad (which I would love to see back in production, especially in yellow FRN/H1, or Any other steel for that matter)
power is nothing without control
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I voted SE because it likely won't get enough love. :D

I'm indifferent. It depends on the model and I believe in changing up your carry. It keeps the simple task of cutting things more interesting.
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

I love SE but prefer to EDC a PE blade most of the time.
:spyder:
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

Bladekeeper wrote:Combo as I find a lot of the time if you want a controlled precise cut , eg a line or breaking into the surface of something which requires accuracy . The serrations act as a sort of guider where the PE will easily over cut .
Try cutting through something quite resistant needing to maintain a straight line when you exert the force needed its quite easy to overshoot the mark.
The combo gives more control IMO maybe I'm ham fisted and to brut force :D .
I totally agree. I'm one of the few who actually likes and uses combo edges.

Try cutting hard plastic, like a plastic clothes hanger in two with a plain edge. Good luck.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I like a full SE for versatility and making quick work of tasks. I do like a PE's ease of maintenence however.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jeep45238 wrote:I like a full SE for versatility and making quick work of tasks. I do like a PE's ease of maintenence however.
Not to start a PE vs SE debate (because I totally hear you), but as a side-note I spend far less time sharpening my SE knives than my PE ones. They seem to get "good enough" much quicker.