Lost and "Found" ~ 47 Years Later

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Lord vader

Lost and "Found" ~ 47 Years Later

Post by Lord vader »

I thought this was a cool story and just wanted to share this.In our childhood … when we lose a pet ~ it can be a very upsetting time ~ especially if they run away ~ sitting on the porch, the curb … the backyard waiting for our friends return. Well if you Jeff Cokely ~ you would have been sitting on the porch or in this case, the backyard for almost a half a century!

~*~

One day in 1965, a 13-year-old boy named Jeff Cokeley discovered a box turtle on his family’s farm in southwestern Pennsylvania. The youngster carved his initials and date into the turtle’s shell and then let it go ~ possibly hoping by some hand of fate, he would see the creature again someday.

~*~

So when Jeff Cokeley received a phone call and a picture from his father on Friday saying the turtle had been found, he “just started laughing” and “had to show [his] wife,” according to the Observer Reporter. His father Holland Cokeley, 85, was walking a dog on his farm when the pooch discovered the turtle and its unmistakeable markings.

~*~

“I picked it up, and I thought ‘Oh geez, this is Jeff’s turtle!’” Holland Cokeley told KDKA Pittsburgh. “It’s been here for 47 years, and it still has the same — the same — markings on it.”

~*~

After taking a picture of the turtle and calling his son in upstate New York, Holland Cokeley kept it around for a couple days and then released it back into the wild, the station reports.

~*~

According to the Massachusetts Division Of Fish & Wildlife, the average life expectancy for an Eastern Box Turtle is 40 to 50 years, but they may live to be 100.
Attachments
turtle.png
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

Hi,
I like the story, what are the' chances?
Thanks for sharing,
Charlie
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice story.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

That is a great heart-warming story. Thanks for sharing Vader!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

That's cool!
guitarwolf

Post by guitarwolf »

Cool story, but who carves up a turtle's belly?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That turtle is just waiting to get revenge lol
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

A thirteen year old boy.LOLQUOTE=guitarwolf;869499]Cool story, but who carves up a turtle's belly?[/QUOTE]
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I would say the chances a pretty slim. It is hard to imagine a turtle staying around the farm for 47 years, but it happened.
buddy54ck wrote:Hi,
I like the story, what are the' chances?
Thanks for sharing,
Charlie
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I think the life expectancy is based on captive animals I think primates live longer in captivity than the wild , obviously medical treatment etc.
Some species of animals don't do so well nurtured tortoise do if the habitat is recreated the Great Charles Darwin took a giant tortoise from the Galápagos Islands it is still alive today in Australia zoo owned by the late Steve irwin iirc.
I think its estimated to be over 200 years old :O 1835 he collected her but I'm not sure if it was an egg or a young specimen.
As if it was not an egg hatched then obviously it could be older but 175 is impressive I won't make 65 :lol: .
The oldest was 255 years old that's incredible maybe slowing down is the answer :D .
That's it I'm telling swimbo I can't do anything as I want to live to a ripe old age ;) .

Edit: no she died in 2006 my mistake just checked .