Ill never lend a knife again.. Pics included before and after

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

WAY back when I was in manual labour, I had an Eriksson 556 for a loaner. For the price, I didn't care who abused it.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I never lend my Spydercos, ever. Learnt that lesson too.

I normally carry a Victorinox Pioneer in addition to my primary EDC, in order to have some inexpensive mulititool to pry, screw, scrape and pierce with.

I also find the SAK to be the perfect loaner blade. It's people friendly, easy to sharpen, very stainless, cheap to replace, and the alox scales are pretty and tough.

A while ago I considered getting one of those nice custom alox SAK's, but then realized I would never lend it too, so its a bit pointless for my purposes.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
appliancejunk

Post by appliancejunk »

You guys that carry loaner knifes must have more room in your pockets them me. ;)
I'm not going to EDC items for other people too.

I have no problem saying "No" when someone ask me if they can use my knife.
After a while people learn not to ask me. The slower ones that don't learn after asking the first few times are surely the ones I don't want to loan anything to anyway.
:spyder: Ladybug 3 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN PE
:spyder: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
:spyder: Delica 4 Blue FRN FG
:spyder: Sharpmaker

EDC Knife: Dragonfly 2 Black FRN SE
EDC Flashlight: Fenix LD12 XP-G2
MJF

Post by MJF »

Way back in 99 or 2000, I lent my first Spyderco knife (and first decent knife in general) to a guy to look at. It was a first generation Gin-1 Native. Not three seconds after I gave it to him did he attempt a Spydie drop which resulted in my Native being flung into the air and landing tip first on some concrete. The tip broke off and I learned a valuable lesson.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I don't lend my knives to anyone. If someone needs to use a knife but doesn't have one it's a great time to point out why carrying a knife is a good habit.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Any request to borrow my knife is followed up by me asking "What for?" That helps avoid most problems. I also carry a Victorinox Driver that I bought (3) on sale for $9.99. This is what gets lent to those who pass the "What for?" question.
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
thurin

Post by thurin »

Last week at work someone asked if I had a knife they could borrow. I pulled out a PM2. Their eyes got big and they asked if I had something smaller and less scary.
Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R.T.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Looks good now but that area right near the tip is the most precious piece of steel on a knife because as you remove steel from there it causes the tip to rise up and out of the handle. That is the single biggest quality problem with all kniife companies getting the blade tip far enough down in the handle in the closed position. This is what I call tip status and the first and most important thing I look at a when buying a knife. I had a UK Pen knife that you could actually catch the blade tip on in the closed position with your fingernail.I had ordered that knife through a dealer and didn't get to actually see a handle the knife before purchasing. That's why I rarely buy a knife that I haven't seen and handled. I gave the knife away to a mechanic who did some work for me as a tip.