Ill never lend a knife again.. Pics included before and after

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Kev83

Ill never lend a knife again.. Pics included before and after

Post by Kev83 »

So I was hanging with a friend and he was opening some packaging and he said hey let me borrow your knife a second. So I handed him my beloved manix 2 and he proceeded to try to get trough the packaging and after I saw him struggling a second I asked him what the problem was.. Well he failed to see a small metal rivet holding the two pieces together when he cut through and this was the end result to my edge..

After about an hour or so on my lansky system I managed to repair the damage and got it back to hair popping sharp again. (Pics below)

So needless to say I most likely will never hand over my knife to someone unless I know they treat it the way I do.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We all learn this lesson eventually.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I was afraid to even click on this :( . Glad it had a happy ending!
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Evil D wrote:We all learn this lesson eventually.

This is true but such is life I guess.. Just glad it wasn't a tip snap
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

one of those moments you probably wish it was zwear/pd1/3v/cruwear/vascowear :p glad to see you fixed it
BAL

Post by BAL »

Some people just don't get it. Glad that it turned out ok for you.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Some people are of the opinion that if a knife can't be used for removing hub caps as well as standard cutting tasks the knife must be a piece of junk. I was one of the "some people" several years ago. Not as bad as some but if I pay $153.95 for a Manix2 with very good steel used for the blade it should hold up to very hard use. Knowing when the use becomes abuse is the key. It's just a matter of a lack of exposure to knife knowledge and too many movies. In a movie I saw Nicolas cage use a knife model I used to own to remove mortar from between bricks. In that case that was a good use for that knife model. :) Popular brand name but the steel was 440A I think. That's why I think along with the grail in our right front pocket we should have the "loaner" in another pocket. The only thing we miss out on by loaning a lesser quality knife is the expression on the loanee's face when they use a knife like a Spyderco Military. Oh yeah, we also miss out on getting the knife back with big dings in the blade that used to have a tip but now the tip is laying on the floor. :eek: Given the big picture I can live without the expression. :D
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

My father-in-law used my SE pacific Salt to dig up a small oak tree (2 inches tall). Didn't know what he was using it before because I thought he new better. He must of scraped a rock or something cause the tip and a few serrations were damaged. After a few hours I got edge back to where is need it. Never again..
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

If it has an edge or an engine, don't lend it unless you really know how the person handles tools.

100X for chain saws.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

That's not so bad. Years ago I had one of those Benchmade Emerson knives with a titanium blade and carbide coated edge. I made the mistake of letting my platoon sergeant open a few ammo cans with it. He used the blade edge to cut the steel bands on them. The blade had no edge when I got it back.
opaul

Post by opaul »

Great job, putting the edge back on. I've got to get the hang of that.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Oh yes, I never lend knives anymore. Or show them either.
mattman

Post by mattman »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Oh yes, I never lend knives anymore. Or show them either.
<pockets Chucks knife>

:D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

mattman wrote:<pockets Chucks knife>

:D
Lolol...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The Manix 2 has one of the tougher stainless steels too, at a good hardness. It must have been a pretty strong impact.

Glad to see you were able to get it back in service quickly. That's why it's worth it getting good quality equipment.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Oh, man, know what you mean!

Years ago a colleague asked to borrow my knife. I handed him my Victorinox SAK. I later looked over to see what he was doing and found him using the main blade to tighten the screws in his glasses! :eek: He handed my SAK back to me with the leading edge and tip of the main blade all bent up and messed up! :eek: :eek: OH, WAS I PISSED! :mad:

Ever since then I don't loan my knives to anyone! When they come to me asking if they can borrow my knife, I ask them what they want cut and how, and do the job myself.

Glad you were able to repair the damage to the edge.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Loaned it to a lady at work to cut a plant out of a plastic flower pot. She cut the concrete it was sitting on as well.
It was years ago but Never Again.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

When I got my first Spydie I realized I didn't like loaning it, watching the user and trying to make sure it wouldn't be lost. I don't like the idea of carrying a loaner unless its something I'd use myself, I usually carry 2 so an extra isn't bad but I'd like to use it too or else its just taking up pocket space from one of the knives I like.
Confusing but I'm sure you guys get it.

I'm glad the damage wasn't *that* bad, I was expecting a broken tip. Good thing you've got the tools to bring it back to life though.
Good job.
Ragman24

Post by Ragman24 »

I lent a guy at work my ffg black Endura 4 because I thought he was gonna cut some plastic bags but he starts digging out an ingrown hair on his leg!!!If that wasn't bad enough he drops it and chips the tip of the blade!Ill only let my Dad use my knives from now on.This happend about 3 months ago but I still feel like the idiot.Jeez!
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Just get a junk knife & beat up on it real bad. Twisted & bent with the tip snapped off, loose in the pivot & lock. Roll the edge after you get it good & jagged & carry that as a loaner knife.
They will soon not ask.
O.