Anyone have a lifeproof phone case?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Kev83

Anyone have a lifeproof phone case?

Post by Kev83 »

It's time for me to upgrade my phone, and as always, with a new phone comes new accessories. I currently have an iPhone 4S and will be upgrading to the 5 for the sole fact that its 4g. If my 4s was 4g capable I'd just keep it. Anyway, I've always been an otterbox fan but lately the extra bulk it adds has been irking me lately especially going in n out of pocket, an that's with the thinner commuter series model. I've looked into lifeproof cases and they seem to be thinner and with the added benefit of being waterproof. So who has one and what's your thoughts on it? If anyone has both an otterbox and lifeproof I'd love to see some pics of side by side size comparison if you don't mind posting. Thanks!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Not sure about the Otterbox but my wife just got a 5 with a Lifeproof case. It's pretty cool and the nuances (earphone adaptor) seem worth the benefit of being relatively shock and waterproof.

WARNING: This thread is attracting bots like tourists to killer wasps. PLEASE do not click on their links!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I had a life proof for my 4s and love it. Haven't taken it in water except for the test to do in the beginning. It's slimmer than the otterbox and lighter.
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

.357 mag wrote:I had a life proof for my 4s and love it. Haven't taken it in water except for the test to do in the beginning. It's slimmer than the otterbox and lighter.
Cool.. Did you see any call quality issues while using it? For example your voice sounding muffled or distorted or significantly lower to the other person?
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I can't tell a difference. I read a few reviews about that but haven't had a problem. FYI.. Not buy from amazon, eBay or anything like that. They aren't life proof dealers so if you buy from them and something is wrong with the case it will not be covered under warranty.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

I have two Iphone 4S, one lives in a lifeproof case, the other in an otterbox defender
i have had the otterboxes for 2 years, the lifeproof for 4 months, and the lifeproof belt clip a month

I will try and do some pics of them side by side for you.

In my opinion, the otterbox is better for drop protection, it just feels more rugged, but the lifeproof feels like a much better built case.- i tend to replace my otterbox case every 6 months as the rubber rips and tears, the quality is not as good as the one i had on my iphone 3gs (which lasted 2 years, and went with the phone when i sold it)
The 3d printed cradle (with charge lead) in my vehicle is the only reason i havent changed my otterbox for another lifeproof case

I have 2 issues with the lifeproof though

1. Speaker volume - no issues with talking back and forth, or using speakerphone, but I'm sometimes not hearing the phone ring when on my belt.
2. Screen sensitivity - the Lifeproof case reduces the screen sensitivity a lot - you need to press much harder, and it is no good if you like playing games on your phone
This is just part of the waterproof feature, it needs a bit of plastic covering the screen (i took the screen protector out of my otterbox, as it didnt really do anything other than irritate me

as for size, they are the same width, the Lifeproof is a bit taller (maybe 4-5mm) and the otterbox is much thicker (maybe 2-3mm thicker)

i much prefer the clip on the lifeproof case, it is fairly easy to use, although the locking mechanism can be a pain.

the otterbox defender clip is very easy to use, but i have broken about 5 of them - the little lug on the bottom that stops it sliding off your belt keeps breaking.
otterbox warranty was great, sending me 2 new belt clips (i have been meaning to add a Teklok to one, but havent got around to it yet)
also, the bit that holds the phone has two little ears on top, that dig into me and are a bit uncomfortable, the first thing i have been doing is taking a dremel to them and rounding them off.
power is nothing without control
whatmore123

Post by whatmore123 »

I am Planing to keep a shop in my home town, can anybody give me an idia that what kind of shop will be good, with me there is very less capital i.e. around Rs 20,000. Also i am planing to keep Mobile recharge and Mobile accessories shop, without this is there any thing that i can include to my shop? Please help me on this
alexadam1212

Post by alexadam1212 »

check out handgiftbox,where all kinds of phone cases exist,i ve bought from their many times.really nice,but cheap.lol
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

My teenage nephew drowned his iPhone when using a Lifeproof case. He may or may not have failed to close the thing after charging. That kid drowned two iPhones within a month! (The Lifeproof case was only involved in one drowning.) They were insured, but the insurance company dropped the policy after the second incident, as specified in the policy; two pay-outs per year.

I use two non-smart Casio GZone Brigades, and am religious about closing the hatch after charging. If the iPhone Six is water-proof, as rumored, I might finally get a smart phone.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I use the Otterbox commuter's I just find the others a little too thick and I don't like the built in screen savers. I have dropped my phone more than once and the case has protected it. I also find Otterbox's warranty really good, I broke a case and I just emailed them a photo and a new case arrived on my door within 2 days at N/C.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Yeah, its called paying attention. Has been my "lifeproof" phone case for years. Works so far.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I don't know about "life proof". I have always been fine the last several years with just a snap on silicone case. I don't know the brand I currently have on my Galaxy S3, but I got it at the Verizon store for around $20. My wife got pissed at me over something silly a few months back and had the nerve to throw my phone pretty hard against a bedroom wall and there was no damage to the phone, just some white scuffs on the silicone case. I've used the same type of cases on my Iphones when I owned those too. Some of these phones are getting so dang big anyway, I don't see the need to bulk them up even more. Then again, I'm not that hard on my phones. I've never broken a screen.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

When I go camping, I carry my phone in either a small Otterbox (regular waterproof), or in a small roll-top dry bag. This prevents accidents from happening when I'm not using the phone.

TedP
BettylBrack

Post by BettylBrack »

In this modern and high technology world which is also called the “information era”. There is no doubt that people now want to own the life that is safe and free and do the thing that they like and want to do. And usually such kind of life is not so easy to own for some people and as they are monitored by some device. If so the jamming radio signals can be your good assistant.
JBE

Post by JBE »

Personally, I'm a fan of the Otterbox Defender.

Several guys that I work with use the LifeProof case, and like them, but one common problem is that the edges of the case seem to wear out in short order after being taken in and out of their pockets repeatedly.
Jason