"no guns" signs: stop you?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
enduraguy

"no guns" signs: stop you?

Post by enduraguy »

Just curious what the general consensus is here. Sure if I'm entering a post office, court house, federal property, or some place I know will have metal detectors, I leave my gun in my car. However, anywhere else (especially movie theaters.....too soon??) I wear my gun. I go concealed with my Remora holster. Wife calls me "John Wayne" but you just never know where the crazies are these days.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm more likely to obey a private request (from a property owner) than a government order.

A business has a choice to let me carry or not. It's their property, so I feel that I should honor their request, but then I have a choice whether to enter or not.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Obey govermant!!

Any where else??? Aint telling.. :rolleyes: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Most of these "no gun" signs are placed by businesses purely for risk management. If you were to go on a shooting rampage in their store - the victims could not subsequently sue the owner for liability. After all, the owner said "no guns allowed"...

But in my book, "concealed" means that nobody can see it. If I fail to keep my weapon concealed while in a private business which prohibits them - then they can ask me to leave, and I would comply. Otherwise, if I'm not breaking any laws by carrying, then I feel I have the right to carry if I desire to.

The one exception to this rule would be my own personal place of employment. If I was dumb enough to carry while at work - I would be terminated immediately if caught. This simply isn't worth the risk.

TedP
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

TomAiello wrote:I'm more likely to obey a private request (from a property owner) than a government order.

A business has a choice to let me carry or not. It's their property, so I feel that I should honor their request, but then I have a choice whether to enter or not.
^-- This

I would just Redbox, Netflix, and otherwise avoid going to places you don't agree with. They are more likely to prosecute someone with a gun than that person stopping a crime by using one.

That or sit in the back of the theater with a flashlight. In the abysmal chance a shooter enters you have a better chance of stopping someone and minimizing death if they are within grabbing/striking distance.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I feel the same way as Ted. If I am in a business where it is posted (by law every entrance and exit must have the same sign to be in compliance) "no guns allowed" and my concealed weapon is seen. Tehy have the right to ask me to leave or ignore me. I do not typically pay as much attention to the signs unless I know a metal detector is in use. I have printed those cards before that read "I respect your rights as a business owner to request no firearms on the premisis, but I will be taking my business to someone who respects my 2nd amendment rights as well" I did recieve strange looks at first, but a few weeks later I did notice the sign was gone :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
BAL

Post by BAL »

I won't spend a penny in a store that won't allow CCW.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

phillipsted wrote:Most of these "no gun" signs are placed by businesses purely for risk management. If you were to go on a shooting rampage in their store - the victims could not subsequently sue the owner for liability. After all, the owner said "no guns allowed"...

But in my book, "concealed" means that nobody can see it. If I fail to keep my weapon concealed while in a private business which prohibits them - then they can ask me to leave, and I would comply. Otherwise, if I'm not breaking any laws by carrying, then I feel I have the right to carry if I desire to.

The one exception to this rule would be my own personal place of employment. If I was dumb enough to carry while at work - I would be terminated immediately if caught. This simply isn't worth the risk.

TedP
Kind of along the lines of how I have been thinking.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't have my CCW permit, but I would probably carry in many places that say not to. I'm a law abiding citizen who would carry a gun to protect the innocent in the same way that a police officer would. I have no malicious intent other than to stop the person who would seek to hurt others. I've seen far too many situations where a law abiding citizen could have saved some lives if they were carrying, so if I'm going to bother with a CCW permit, I'm going to carry it everywhere except in places that could get me a federal offense and get me in serious trouble (which are mostly places where there's likely some kind of professional security on the property anyway, like airports). I really don't give a **** that a movie theater has a sign that says no guns allowed, because if some maniac comes in and starts mowing people down with an assault rifle and I take him out and save a bunch of lives, somebody is going to be happy that I broke the rules. I'd be willing to face my punishment if I were taken to court over breaking that law if it meant I saved a few lives in the process. And besides, like Phil said, concealed means NOBODY knows you have it, and if you're doing your part right and properly concealing it, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about in the first place.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I would not declare here or out there, among all the "No Guns!" signs, whether I'm carrying. No private entity is entitled to ask if I'm donning underware of whatever kind.

ETA: Should have mentioned I'm licensed to carry...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I carry everywhere that doesn't have a metal detector, and the only place I've been that does so far is City Hall. I carry in my local post office all the time, I sell on Ebay so I go there a lot. None of my post offices have a no gun sign. My bank doesn't have it either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:I don't have my CCW permit, but I would probably carry in many places that say not to. I'm a law abiding citizen who would carry a gun to protect the innocent in the same way that a police officer would. I have no malicious intent other than to stop the person who would seek to hurt others. I've seen far too many situations where a law abiding citizen could have saved some lives if they were carrying, so if I'm going to bother with a CCW permit, I'm going to carry it everywhere except in places that could get me a federal offense and get me in serious trouble (which are mostly places where there's likely some kind of professional security on the property anyway, like airports). I really don't give a **** that a movie theater has a sign that says no guns allowed, because if some maniac comes in and starts mowing people down with an assault rifle and I take him out and save a bunch of lives, somebody is going to be happy that I broke the rules. I'd be willing to face my punishment if I were taken to court over breaking that law if it meant I saved a few lives in the process. And besides, like Phil said, concealed means NOBODY knows you have it, and if you're doing your part right and properly concealing it, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about in the first place.
It is difficult to argue with that part. :)

I still think in a poorly lit theater full of people a gunfight is a disaster. If humanity's natural tendency was to run towards danger many of these situations would be minimally deadly. Much easier said than done though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:It is difficult to argue with that part. :)

I still think in a poorly lit theater full of people a gunfight is a disaster. If humanity's natural tendency was to run towards danger many of these situations would be minimally deadly. Much easier said than done though.
Oh you're right...I think a lot of "friendly fire" would probably happen, but I would still feel safer having the opportunity to try for a clean shot than to be helpless. I would just hope to be close enough for a point blank shot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

wrdwrght wrote:I would not declare here or out there, among all the "No Guns!" signs, whether I'm carrying. No private entity is entitled to ask if I'm donning underware of whatever kind.
I totally disagree.

Rights prevail against the government--not against private parties.

A private party has a right to ask you anything they want. You have a right not to answer, or not to answer truthfully.

A private landowner can ask you not to bring your knife/gun/fishing pole/car/whatever onto their land. And that's their right because it's _their land_.

Rights inhere in _individuals_ and restrict action by the _government_. The government has no rights, and rights do not restrict the actions of private parties.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Ohio law when dealing with private property says that the key part of the law is "knowingly violate". I conviently haven't ever seen a sign in the State of Ohio on private property.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TomAiello wrote:I totally disagree.

Rights prevail against the government--not against private parties.

A private party has a right to ask you anything they want. You have a right not to answer, or not to answer truthfully.

A private landowner can ask you not to bring your knife/gun/fishing pole/car/whatever onto their land. And that's their right because it's _their land_.

Rights inhere in _individuals_ and restrict action by the _government_. The government has no rights, and rights do not restrict the actions of private parties.
Of course they're entitled to ask. What I meant is they're not entitled to know. If you still disagree, then we disagree.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
BAL

Post by BAL »

Evil D wrote:I don't have my CCW permit, but I would probably carry in many places that say not to. I'm a law abiding citizen who would carry a gun to protect the innocent in the same way that a police officer would. I have no malicious intent other than to stop the person who would seek to hurt others. I've seen far too many situations where a law abiding citizen could have saved some lives if they were carrying, so if I'm going to bother with a CCW permit, I'm going to carry it everywhere except in places that could get me a federal offense and get me in serious trouble (which are mostly places where there's likely some kind of professional security on the property anyway, like airports). I really don't give a **** that a movie theater has a sign that says no guns allowed, because if some maniac comes in and starts mowing people down with an assault rifle and I take him out and save a bunch of lives, somebody is going to be happy that I broke the rules. I'd be willing to face my punishment if I were taken to court over breaking that law if it meant I saved a few lives in the process. And besides, like Phil said, concealed means NOBODY knows you have it, and if you're doing your part right and properly concealing it, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about in the first place.
Good stuff Mr. Evil, agree with everything.
You should think about getting your CCW. I asked my wife to get hers
and told her that she didn't HAVE to carry, but if she had her license
then it would be HER choice to carry or not. At least you have that option.
You never know when a situation might arise when it would be beneficial
to have something just in case.
r small

Post by r small »

I have a carry permit for my home state and carry here and in other states that have the reciprocal agreement. I never carry in states that don't have the reciprocal agreement such as the People's Republic of Maryland.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

r small wrote:I have a carry permit for my home state and carry here and in other states that have the reciprocal agreement. I never carry in states that don't have the reciprocal agreement such as the People's Republic of Maryland.
I live in Virginia (home of the NRA) and Maryland is right next door. They are an interesting state. The urban areas of the State (e.g., DC Suburbs, Baltimore) tend to be much more left-leaning. But the rural areas of the state (e.g., Western MD in the mountains and Southern MD south of DC) are fairly conservative and much more pro-Second Amendment. But, of course, most of the votes are in the urban areas...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
r small

Post by r small »

phillipsted wrote:I live in Virginia (home of the NRA) and Maryland is right next door. They are an interesting state. The urban areas of the State (e.g., DC Suburbs, Baltimore) tend to be much more left-leaning. But the rural areas of the state (e.g., Western MD in the mountains and Southern MD south of DC) are fairly conservative and much more pro-Second Amendment. But, of course, most of the votes are in the urban areas...

TedP
Funny thing about Maryland. They won't allow law abiding citizens to carry firearms but they let the inmates run the prison system. Talk about bass ackwards.