Ka-Bar E-11. How do you wrap the handle with paracord?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Ka-Bar E-11. How do you wrap the handle with paracord?

Post by jackknifeh »

Been looking but haven't found a type or wrap for this knife (Ka-Bar E-11). Does anyone know a good way to wrap this handle? Seems there are good and better ways to wrap each handle type with different handles. Thanks for any help.

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

You should tape the blade first to stop you from cutting yourself, then wrap it any way your mind thinks will look good.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I've tried wrapping a dozen different knives. All looked terrible. Like they were done by a 2 year old ;) I've given up. It isn't a skill I'm going to master. Everything about it is a problem for me... The start (regardless of which end) and finish, any curve to the grip is a disaster ;) I've come to understand that I couldn't do it if the handle was straight pipe with a tie off hole on either end.... <sigh>

I'm really jealous of folks who seem to be able to grab any knife and make their wrapped handle look like high end art. I am NOT one of those people.

Ken
玉鋼
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:I've tried wrapping a dozen different knives. All looked terrible. Like they were done by a 2 year old ;) I've given up. It isn't a skill I'm going to master. Everything about it is a problem for me... The start (regardless of which end) and finish, any curve to the grip is a disaster ;) I've come to understand that I couldn't do it if the handle was straight pipe with a tie off hole on either end.... <sigh>

Ken
This is just a guess but I'm betting you DO NOT make a living as a motivational speaker. :) I was sure I could use paracord and looking forward to it but now I just want to give up! :( :) I'll order some handle material for this knife I guess. :D

Jack
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote:This is just a guess but I'm betting you DO NOT make a living as a motivational speaker. :) I was sure I could use paracord and looking forward to it but now I just want to give up! :( :) I'll order some handle material for this knife I guess. :D
haha, sorry about that, Jack. I never said YOU couldn't do it. Lots of folks do beautiful work. I am not counted among those people. ;)

BTW - my attempts at scales have been even worse than my attempts at wrapping... Maybe that helps? I've seen your scales. They've come out quite nicely...

Ken
玉鋼
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Jack,
Here's a pic of some of my paracord wrapped knives.
It's a feeble attempt at a Japanese sword type wrap.
The twist in the center of the handle adds a little thickness to the grip.
Hope this gives you some ideas!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

sharpguitarist wrote:Hey Jack,
Here's a pic of some of my paracord wrapped knives.
It's a feeble attempt at a Japanese sword type wrap.
The twist in the center of the handle adds a little thickness to the grip.
Hope this gives you some ideas!
Later,
Don
These look great. Any one of them would be fine with me. I don't know how to tie them though. I think what I need is a youtube video of them being tied. Better yet, why don't you come to my house and tie mine. I'll pay for the paracord. All you have to pay for is the plane ticket. :) I've seen izula knives on youtube but no Ka-Bars so far. It seems there are better choices of how to do it based on the handle and holes. Here is what I am working with.

I had a wooden handle on it already but knocked it off. I want something a little different. I've orderd some material I think I'll like but I would like to try the paracord first. Never had one and I want to see how they feel. I think that is a bottle opener at the rear of the handle. Maybe bottle openers are needed in the woods but I haven't used a bottle opener in about (at least) 20 years I don't think. I guess I drink cheap beer. :) Even my wine has screw off tops. :D I have thought of adding enough handle to be able to use my fourth finger. I think if I use the handle material I'll just cover the bottle opener even if I don't add length. I ground the black stuff off and stone washed the blade. I like black blades ok but if it scratches off I don't see any point in it. There goes corrosion control and if you need black blades to reduce the possibility of reflecting light to the enemy giving away your position a single scratch and they now have your coordinates. :eek: Better duck. :) Spyderco's DLC is the most permanent coating I've seen so far. This was a little difficult to remove and Cold Steel's is a joke as far as permanent. I know most of you don't like Spyderco products but the DLC is hard to beat IMO. :D

Anyway, if I can get a paracord wrap handle that is really comfortable I may leave it like that. Plus I'll learn how to tie one. At least these are easy to change. AND you always have a length of cord with you for emergencies. I may need to build a shelter in the middle of Wal Mart. :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, I didn't write it for that knife, but his might give you some ideas: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... derco-Mule
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Jack,
I've been needing a vacation on the beach.
What are we having for dinner tonight? Ha!
This knife kind of resembles yours, and it should wrap in a similar fashion.
https://youtu.be/_NBe23A ... ata_player

Good luck with your project!
Later,
Don
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

sharpguitarist wrote:Hey Jack,
I've been needing a vacation on the beach.
What are we having for dinner tonight? Ha!
This knife kind of resembles yours, and it should wrap in a similar fashion.
https://youtu.be/_NBe23A ... ata_player

Good luck with your project!
Later,
Don
I may be able to work with that pattern. I'll give it a shot. I recently got some "ULTRA BOR SUPER PREMIUM" drill bits for drilling into harder material than you can with a "standard" bit. I may need to try them out on this handle. Up till now I've just been using them with the benefit of them not loosing any of the sharpness. They are great for edge retention it seems. Now I'll see if they are good for what I really bought them for.

For dinner I was planning on going to the beach and getting some fresh crab. You just put a few sticks in the ground with a long string tied to it. Tie a piece of chicken to the other end and throw it in the water. When you see the string being pulled on you just pull it up on to the beach slowly. The crabs just hang on and you can slam a net on them. Or maybe I'll go to the seafood store. :D

I have gotten crab like this but you do it at night with a strong flashlight. But that is more for the fun than the food (which is nice of course). :D

Jack
doctorknife

Post by doctorknife »

You can try to use this way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlDaKkVs7vU
A moderate degree of courage joined to great ability will produce greater effects than moderate ability with great courage.
- Carl von Clausewitz

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Spyderco Military Digital Camo CPM-S30V
Spyderco Endura Spyderedge VG-10
Spyderco Matriarch w/ Emerson opener VG-10
Spyderco Resilience 8Cr13MoV
Spyderco Delica Spyderedge ZDP-189
Spyderco Manix XL CPM-S30V
Spyderco Sage Blue Bolt Action CPM-S30V
Spyderco Pacific Salt Yellow Spyderedge H1
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Jack,
Just as a side note, I didn't run my cord down the center of the handle as shown in the video.
I just started a wrap at the finger groove near the blade, so no holes needed at that end.
One other thing, need sure your wrap won't be in conflict with your sheath.
Just something to plan ahead for.
Hope you have great success.
Later,
Don
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

There was onlly one hole in the handle close to the blade. Since it wasn't in the center I drilled another one. Now I can use these to start with a loop. Another thing that causes me trouble is the humb that fits between the index finger and the middle finger on the bottom of the handle. The paracord wants to slide "downhill" on the sides of it. I think i'll flatten it a bit. I don't think it will degrade the ergonomics much. I'll keep trying like this for now though. It's much harder to put handle back than it is to remove it. :) I saw one wrap that the cord went through the holes all the way up the handle. the bar in the middle of the handle makes this almost impossible. I may cut that bar out of the handle. It may degrade the handle strength some but I don't plan on using it hard anyway. Plus I may (probably will) end up putting some handle material on it sooner or later anyway.

BTW, the ULTRA BOR SUPER PREMIUM bits went through (1095 I think) the steel like it was butter. I started with a 1/16" and went up to 7/32" stepping up the size 3 times I think. I don't know how drilling 1095 compares to drilling ZDP or anything but I'm very happy with the bits. I have ground the spine of my ZDP Manbug with the Dremel and tungsten carbide bits with no trouble.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

First of all, I need to make a correction. This knife is a Ka-Bar BK&T BK-11. It's not an E-11. I think I was thinking of my Fenix E-11 flashlight. :confused: Does anyone know how to wrap paracord around a small EDC flashlight? :) Just kidding.

Ok, I got the thing wrapped. Pictures coming tomorrow am. Don't think I'll be keeping it though. I like the feel of a real handle better. But it's better than the handle naked.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Jack,
I have to say I feel the same about cord wrapped handles. Better than nothing, but not my first choice.
At least now you know.
Sorry it didn't work out, but at least you have another handle project.
Later,
Don
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Forgot to show what I came up with. This is MUCH more comfortable than the naked handle. I couldn't imagine using the knife for even slightly hard use with the handle without anything on it. Still, this isn't comfortable enough for me to not put permanent material on it. Thanks for the help. New handle material should be in the mail today.

araneae

Post by araneae »

I think the eskabar has a nicer handle shape that lends itself to cord wrapping moreso than the 11. That doesn't help you much. I just got the zytel handle set at blade, but haven't installed them yet.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

End result of playing with para-cord handle. :(

I ended up with a canvas, canvas-camo scales that I'm happy with. This stuff is really cheap but makes a nice handle for a work knife. Plenty grippy enough. First I removed the black coating and stonewashed the blade.