A Question for Gun Owners

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

D1omedes wrote:Hi guys. I am interested in purchasing a semiautomatic sidearm as my first firearm. I am leaning heavily toward 9mm but have yet to test out .40 caliber.

My real question comes down to Glock or the Smith and Wesson M&P. I got to shoot both a M&P 9 (full size) and a Glock 19. It's strange, I don't have large hands but the Glock 19 felt kinda small in hand. Do you guys recommend one over the other?

Oh, I found out that the M&P felt a lot nicer in hand but I consistently shot low with it. The trigger felt a little strange also. The Glock felt a lot chunkier in hand and the raised finger bumps felt awkward. Still, the trigger was nicer and I was more accurate with the Glock.
I would get the one that you shoot best (I am a former NRA instructor). Try this test. Pick up each gun one at a time. Close your eyes and raise the gun to what you think is eye level using one hand. Open your eyes. Which one are you looking down the sights with. Another test, try pointing your finger at a target, and without moving your finger, have someone carefully put the gun in your hand. Which one points at the target best without reorientation?

You will find the Glock easier to conceal, BTW.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

i WOULD NOT recommend a .40. Felt recoil recoil is generally greater than .45, and ammo costs more than either 9 or .45 (aside from recent ammo issues.) I have other reasons, but they're not important to your decision. Suffice to say, 9mm is easier and lesst costly on the shooter, encouraging more practice. Modern ammo has it on par with other common calibers, big-bore afficionados notwithstanding.

I wouldn't purchase a Generation 4 Glock. Once again, 'Perfection' falls far short. I don't have the time to tell you all of the reasons why. Suffice to say, some good net research will alert you to a couple issues of concern. OTOH, the 3rd Gen guns have had all bugs worked out ,in 9mm caliber. Plus, you're able to get some smokin' deals on used police trades right now, and EVERYBODY and his brother can strip them down to take care of what may ail it, for whatever reason.

That said, the OP's already admitted the M&P feels better in his hand. THat is HUGE, in my book. Since it's every bit the quality of the GLock, and arguably better in some ways..THAT should be the one you get. IF and when the budget allows, get the full-sized countpart in .22LR caliber for even cheaper practice over time, using the same leather, same trigger pull, etc.
Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Gen 3's had a bunch of issues when they first came out as well. I haven't seen a Gen 4 that's been bought in the last year or so malfunction.

My advice - go with what feels best in your hands that matches your budget. Try to get to the range and shoot one to get an idea if you like it before you commit.

I hate Glocks - yet I'm forcing myself to shoot nothing but Glocks until I can do it very well before transitioning to FN's.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

BAL wrote:Thanks for posting this video, everyone needs to watch it, THIS is what real life situations are all about.
They happen FAST and you don't always have time to follow a set of one by one steps and get the proper
draw and stance and put on eyes and ears and tell the bad guy to leave or he's gonna get it.

I carry at home for these type of things. I lost a **** good friend to a couple thugs with no thread of
humanity, in a situation much like this, only much worse. He had a young son that lost his father that day
for no reason. You never know when something like this will happen.

Anyone reading this, please think about taking whatever steps that you feel comfortable with, to
protect yourself and your family. You can't use a gun if you don't have it.
+1 thank you for posting that video. It may be silly to some of my family and friends, but this is why if I am lounging around the house in gym shorts, I'm also carrying IWB.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Like everyone has said, it's a highly personal choice. Both M&P and Glock are solid platforms. I personally favor Sig Sauers and have small collection. If you buy a P226 (full frame) or P229 (mid frame) chambered for .40, you can later buy interchangeable 9mm or Sig 357 barrels. They even offer a .22 rimfire conversion kit for the the P226 allowing you to switch back and forth in a matter a minutes. Sigs are pricey, but with the interchangeable barrels you'll have the best of all worlds. P.S., if you want to hear "loud" try the Sig 357...Wow.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I like the. 357 Sig better than 9mm 40 45 38 or 357 magnum. It's like having a .357 magnum with twice the capacity and half the recoil of a revolver. I had one of the small Glocks in 357 Sig one time and couldn't tell any difference between it and a hot 9mm load like a cor bon or something. I would take one of those ten to one over a 40S&W. The only thing there has never been a gun built around the 357 sig round that I'm aware of and you are putting 357 Sig rounds into a 9mm magazine and sometimes its hard to get the recommended number of rounds into the magazine.However the fact that I already had a couple thousand rounds of 9mm and 357 Sig ammo is a lot more expensive than 9mm is why I have three Glock 9mms
500lbman

Post by 500lbman »

My $.02 - I feel like the Springfield XDm 9mm feels better than both the Glock and the M&P. The trigger on the XDm is also better than the M&P and as good as the Glock, although in a different way. The XDm trigger is awesome, and if you are hitting in a different place than you are aiming it is most likely a problem with trigger control. If you can't pull through the breaking point on the trigger smoothly, you will not hit what you are aiming at. For me the XDm was far more comfortable than any other pistol, much easier to shoot accurately, and the 9mm holds 19 rounds in the magazine. It a lot of gun for $550. I have not fired a pistol more accurately than my XDm. Again, just my two cents.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I like the. 357 Sig better than 9mm 40 45 38 or 357 magnum. It's like having a .357 magnum with twice the capacity and half the recoil of a revolver. I had one of the small Glocks in 357 Sig one time and couldn't tell any difference between it and a hot 9mm load like a cor bon or something. I would take one of those ten to one over a 40S&W. The only thing there has never been a gun built around the 357 sig round that I'm aware of and you are putting 357 Sig rounds into a 9mm magazine and sometimes its hard to get the recommended number of rounds into the magazine.However the fact that I already had a couple thousand rounds of 9mm and 357 Sig ammo is a lot more expensive than 9mm is why I have three Glock 9mms
.357SIG is based on a .40S&W necked down to a 9mm bullet. The mags, springs, slides, ejectors, extractors, and breech faces are identical. Just a barrel swap between the .40 and .357 Sig.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

It depends on how you look at it. Actually, you are right about the 40S&W .357 Sig part however it's still a 9mm format with everything you mentioned being different but the magazine and it's just opened up a little to take. 357 Sig/40 S&W cases.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

40 and 357 mags are the same except caliber markings.

357 is a necked down 40, and the difference between 40 guns versus 9 is the same as 357 versus 9.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I agree only you should have said the difference between. 357 Sig and 9mm is the same as the difference between. 357 magnum and 9mm . You are right about the 40 S&W and. 357 Sig magazines being the same but the 40/357 mag is still a 9mm mag just with the lips opened up to take the larger diameter cases.The Glock 26 and Glock 27 are the same size and take the same magazine and that's why on the 27 it's hard to get that last round in there because you are putting. 40 or 357 Sig rounds into a 9mm magazine.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

...........some people's kids.