Ti frame lock folder

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Kev83

Ti frame lock folder

Post by Kev83 »

I own zero frame lock knives. If I were going to pick up a decent Titanium framelock for $150 or less what would you recommend? Or are there many available for that price range?
mattman

Post by mattman »

I think the standard answer to this is Sage 2...

(what are they going for these days?)

edit: a bit out of your range, $162 @ CS...
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

I was eyeing a sage 2 the other day actually. They're hovering around $175 give or take a few bucks from what I've seen .. Not 100% sure how I feel about the blade shape though, it's not bad by any means just something about it kinda puts me off
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have a Sage 2 that I paid $157 for a couple of years ago. I was just at the Blade Show and didn't see anything I would rather have. No two small slabs of titanium with a knife blade in the middle is worth $400-$500
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

The Sage is a bit small for me but I think the Sage is one of the best looking Spyderco's.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Techno is a good option, but small and barely out of range at around $160. Two others are the Ti and fluted Ti Military models but they blow right past the $150 limit.

Edit: didn't realize this was in the OT. I picked up a ZT 0301 for a little more than the Techno, if you watch Howe's or National they have sales on ZT frequently.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Kev83 wrote:I own zero frame lock knives. If I were going to pick up a decent Titanium framelock for $150 or less what would you recommend? Or are there many available for that price range?
It does blow your budget, but the Southard is a wonder to behold (hold, flip, use, etc.) I think it is well worth the money. You could try to pick one up secondhand. If it doesn't suit, I am sure you could find someone willing to buy it.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Chokwe is a cheap frame lock (around $120) or the Leafstorm is also around $150

Both great knives!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Definitely the Chokwe, you won't believe the F&F for the price, nice and light too! If you want something big and beefy the ZT 0550 is all of that and smooth as silk, really great value. Sometimes you can find them for close to your price but it might take some digging and it may be a Gen 1 not 2.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Kev83 wrote:I own zero frame lock knives. If I were going to pick up a decent Titanium framelock for $150 or less what would you recommend? Or are there many available for that price range?
My 1st choice would be the Techno (approx. $155 @ eBay)...2nd, Sage 2 (approx. $145 Amazon) *prices as of today. I had the Sage 2 a couple of months before the Techno and liked the Sage so much that I ordered the Techno like many, out of curiosity, and also like many others...it has become my EDC choice over everything else.

The Techno is simply one of those knives that surpasses the sum of its parts, and is better that it should be. It shouldn't slice as well as it does, but it does?! It shouldn't have as much useful bevel/edge for its size, but it does?! Prior to getting it I would read the reviews from people stating how it had bounced their small Sebenzas out of their pockets and I was highly skeptical of their praise but now after carrying it for a while, I believe them and understand its huge appeal.

Its cool looks (subjective...I know), its fantastic f & f, blade steel, scales, clip...makes one want to just sit and fondle this knife! The only cons I can think of in trying to honestly assess this knife is that (a)...If you have very large mitts you may only get 3 fingers on the scales, but I bet for most people, it will be fine, and (b)...even though it'll amaze in push cuts, the thick spine limits those cuts to being somewhat shallow...yet it'll do precise work like peeling an apple, or make intricate wood cuts with surprising ease for such a beefy blade.

I could go on for several more paragraphs about how its utility belies its size but I think it's just one of those "sleeper" knives one has to actually use and experience to truly realize just how great this little gem of a knife really is. I still love the Sage 2, but the Techno is perfect for me, and many others who were also greatly surprised by this impossibly good little folder.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Techno, Chokwe...best choices. Both a great knives. Spectacular even.

Though over all...a Burchtree Mid Tech would be best. But that blows your budget by just the tiniest bit.
On the hunt for...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SnooSnoo has a point about the Chokwe and IIRC, you can still get them for a good deal at Sierra Trading with one of their email flyer coupons.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

+1000 for the Techno. :) The Techno wasn't my first frame lock, but it's definitely my favorite. Can't say enough good about this knife, really. It's a beefy little knife without being too heavy or cumbersome. Get one, Kev. You won't regret it!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Sage 2 is going for less than $150 at Amazon lately.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Join bladeforums.com and you can find many deals on lightly used knives. At that price point, for spydies I recommend techno or sage 2. If non spydie, the ZT0550 is awesome too.

Or save up another $50 amd you could find a lightly used southard or TI frame lock Millie :O
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Techno is getting a second look from me. Love the blue backspacer!
CGSshorty

Post by CGSshorty »

I paid just a little more than $150 for a brand new ZT 0550.

Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

CGSshorty wrote:I paid just a little more than $150 for a brand new ZT 0550.

Nice score! I prefer the 0560 but the 0550 is also great!
CGSshorty

Post by CGSshorty »

I like the 560 as well, but it is just outside the size range that I like to carry. The 0550 is a really nice size and the lack of a flipper makes it sit nicely in the pocket.