Removing finger prints from safe queens.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Buck Knives I Like

Removing finger prints from safe queens.

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

I have used just any microfiber cloth to remove finger prints from knives before and they leave scratches. Does anyone have a particular brand of microfiber clothes they would trust to use on their most precious knives? I'm trying to avoid those annoying scratches.

My goal is to remove any finger prints from my safe queens so even a micro scratch is bothersome.

Even the " extremely fine " microfiber clothes leave me disappointed. With expensive safe queens this would be unacceptable.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Buck,
You could try something designed for eyeglasses.
Just a thought.
Good luck!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
BAL

Post by BAL »

I use the inside of the bottom of my shirt. And I am actually being serious.
But I don't keep safe queens though, so I don't get that picky. I do however
like to keep them clean for the next time that I use them.
Sharpguitarist might have a good idea, I don't know how the treated gun
type rags work though. Someone will have the perfect answer.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sharpguitarist wrote:Hey Buck,
Just a thought.
Good luck!
Later,
Don
Or consider wearing gloves when handling something you don't want to get fingerprints on.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 1623 »

The Chris Reeve micro fiber cloth is excellent and available from Knife Center for $4.00

To justify the shipping, you could order a new Spydie to go with it :D
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

What knives are you noticing micro scratches on? In my experience most steels are able to do moderate cutting in stiff medial without their surface being scratched. Maybe something like a Sentry cloth could help as well as Deacon's suggestion of gloves.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Buck Knives I Like

Yup I already plan to handle with gloves however some of these " safe queens " are from when I first started collecting and I wasn't thinking, I'm sure we all made mistakes when we first started. Thanks for the sentry and reeves cloth recommendations.
Buck Knives I Like

sharpguitarist wrote:Hey Buck,
Just a thought.
Good luck!
Later,
Don
I did man, still got scratches too! however an above poster is correct. These scratches were on cheap steel, I haven't used them on these nice ones with good steels just yet.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Buck Knives I Like wrote:I did man, still got scratches too! however an above poster is correct. These scratches were on cheap steel, I haven't used them on these nice ones with good steels just yet.
I'm pretty sure the only scratches I have ever gotten from just a cloth were in the brass bolsters of an old buck or case.
*Landon*
Buck Knives I Like

xceptnl wrote:I'm pretty sure the only scratches I have ever gotten from just a cloth were in the brass bolsters of an old buck or case.
I have had scratches on both 8cr and BD1 steel from a professional " glasses " microfiber cloth.

However the steels im going to be using it on are steels like d2 cpm, CTS-204P or s35v so there should be no issues as you or someone else said.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

xceptnl wrote:I'm pretty sure the only scratches I have ever gotten from just a cloth were in the brass bolsters of an old buck or case.
I take that back. The 420J2 slabs on my Caly Jr and Caly 3 CF both got scratches but I want to say the cloth I used was a dish cloth after some kitchen use. Either way, a little Flitz and you can't even see them any more. Flitz can be the miracle cure for lots of minor blemishes. I buy it in bulk! Currently I am trying it out on Super Blue. I am trying to see if a weekly coating (polishing) in Flitz will prevent the steel from turning (developing a patina).
*Landon*
Buck Knives I Like

xceptnl wrote:I take that back. The 420J2 slabs on my Caly Jr and Caly 3 CF both got scratches but I want to say the cloth I used was a dish cloth after some kitchen use. Either way, a little Flitz and you can't even see them any more. Flitz can be the miracle cure for lots of minor blemishes. I buy it in bulk! Currently I am trying it out on Super Blue. I am trying to see if a weekly coating (polishing) in Flitz will prevent the steel from turning (developing a patina).

Thanks for the flitz recommendation man, I'll check it out too.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I handle all my knives with White cotton gloves keep Ren Wax on them and never ever put any oil on them. I have learned over the years that oil will ruin knives stored long term quicker than anything there is.
Buck Knives I Like

How long does it take for an uncleaned finger print to actually stain the knife steel? Obviously we are speaking estimated time frame. Thanks.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It could be hours for non stainless steels. Stainless steels on the other hand should resist for considerably longer. Obviously environmental factors can change that; humidity, temperature, sunlight, etc.

I have an older ATS-34 Kershaw that has a stain on the blade that I have never been able to polish out. I am pretty sure the stain was from the oils in my hands.
*Landon*
Buck Knives I Like

xceptnl wrote:It could be hours for non stainless steels. Stainless steels on the other hand should resist for considerably longer. Obviously environmental factors can change that; humidity, temperature, sunlight, etc.

I have an older ATS-34 Kershaw that has a stain on the blade that I have never been able to polish out. I am pretty sure the stain was from the oils in my hands.
Would d2-CPM be hours you would think? Regardless, thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My D2 blades have been very stain resistant. I have used them in the kitchen and in the woods with minimal cleaning and no oil coating on the blades. If CPM-D2 is the steel you are questionsing, I wouldn't worry about any staining unless you are in a super moist or salty environment.
*Landon*
Buck Knives I Like

xceptnl wrote:My D2 blades have been very stain resistant. I have used them in the kitchen and in the woods with minimal cleaning and no oil coating on the blades. If CPM-D2 is the steel you are questionsing, I wouldn't worry about any staining unless you are in a super moist or salty environment.
Thanks man! You have at least lowered my blood pressure until i can get over and wipe down my beauty, haha.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Cotton terry cloths and micro-cloths are used by auto detailers on clearcoated paint. Not sure why they are scratching hardened blade steel.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

The cloth won't scratch steel, silica from dust & dirt will.