I need a new laptop

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sequimite

I need a new laptop

Post by Sequimite »

I've used three laptops over the last 14 years, so I guess I can't complain. First a Latitude Dell D-840, then a Dell XPS M1330 (which I'm using right now), then an Alienware M11x r1 which died this morning.

I'd really like a 1600 x 900 resolution screen (still miss the 1600 x 1200 on the Latitude), a lit keyboard and at least 4 gig RAM. I'd prefer a smaller size screen, 11 - 14". I don't need a gaming graphics card.

I'd like to not get much beyond $600. Any suggestions?

I hope I don't have to sell my second 204P Para 2 to afford this.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

We use Lenovo laptops for work. In our experience and from what I read they are extremely durable.

My wife and friends have used Asus laptops. Also very high quality and arguably the best bang for the buck (stat wise) laptop out there. The only problem is their G-series tend to get heavy since the cooling system looks like something you would find at an Air Force base.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Asus is a good way to go. Good solid machines...I like them a lot.
On the hunt for...
BAL

Post by BAL »

Asus Tablets to me have proven to be good stuff, assume the same for Laptop.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

BAL wrote:Asus Tablets to me have proven to be good stuff, assume the same for Laptop.
DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Asus is a good way to go. Good solid machines...I like them a lot.
Agreed and agreed. Asus makes a pretty solid machine.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Thanks for the recommendations. Looking at both Lenovo and ASUS. Lenovo has a good affinity programs for the AICPA, which I belong to, so that looks more likely.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
The Student

Post by The Student »

I had a good experience with HP's website recently. I built what I wanted ~$1200 computer then found a discount code on retailmenot.com and got $400 off my pc. Not really sure if anything like that still available, as these codes expire, but I think it is worth looking into. You may find a deal on another site, on a different computer ect. But that experience has changed the way I shop online.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

OK, I busted my budget. 720P resolution was over $700, so I jumped up to 1080P, then added a 256G SSD, so that my total is about $1000 for a Lenexa Ideapad Y500:

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor( 2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Windows 8 64
NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
15.6" FHD LED Glossy Wedge 1920x1080
256GB MSATA SSD
1TB 5400 RPM HD
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
Tank

Post by Tank »

I recently got a Lenovo 14", backlit keyboard, Touchscreen, 8gig ram and 1T hard drive from BB for $800. Been happy with it so far (had it about a month) Only thing I haven't really warmed up to yet is Windows 8 (although the touchscreen helps) but what can ya do.
-John
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Lenovo and ASUS are recognized as the more reliable brands. I have had good luck with my Dell Latitude and would buy another. Dell used to have an online outlet store where you could get some better deals if they had what you wanted in stock. Besides that ASUS products are usually available at good prices online.