Flashlight reccomendations?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

My SC52 has a bit of a green tint to it...not too pleased. But also haven't bothered sending it in yet.
On the hunt for...
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I've been carrying an Eagletac D25C for about a month now. I love it. Although, it runs on a CR123/16340.
-Ryan
airsoftgun99

Post by airsoftgun99 »

Streamlight stylus pro/microstream
knolan

Post by knolan »

Orion's Belt wrote:I've been carrying an Eagletac D25C for about a month now. I love it. Although, it runs on a CR123/16340.
+1 This is a great light too. To the op: this light is also avail. in a AA version. the D25A...both great lights, although IMO if you can manage CR123/16340 the D25C has memory and a very usable moonlight mode the D25A lacks. Also the D25C's 2013 model is fully regulated on CR123 primaries and 16340 Li-ion's (the 2012 version went into direct drive w/16340's making it super bright at over 750 lumens but became very hot within 30 sec). Eagletac also gives you the choice of titanium or aluminum and several emitter choices!...the only cons to these lights are 7 (yep 7?!) flashing modes...but are easy enough to avoid (unless you like to carry around your own personal disco, or are partial to rave clubs).

Eagletac is also known for being very selective in choosing tints from CREE emitters and have IMO probably the best consistent tints of any current production manufacturer (less green, especially in XM-L lights).
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Fenix LD01

I always carry it. It has a clip and I also attach a small knife (Manbug or Jester) to it. LD01 has 3 brightnesses and that's all it does. Twist head easily used one handed. I can easily walk my dog with the medium setting. This is a single AAA battery light. The single AA battery lights I've tried don't get much brighter, but I think they last longer. I use rechargable batteries and don't need the light for long periods of time. This light is PERFECT for me. I've tried others and keep finding out the new light just isn't any better (for me) so I end up carrying the Fenix LD01 anyway. I won't buy any more EDC lights. The next light I get will be a BIGGER one. Actually, if I really needed one I'd already have one so I may never get one.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Just as I have a Spydie clipped inside my right front pocket everyday, I have a TEC clip inside my LFP. On it hang everyday an assortment of tiny tools (SAK Classic, pen, tweezers, lighter) plus County Comm's Maratac Extreme AAA.

If you're looking for a low-cost always-there super-simple (three levels with successive twists) beater LED light that throws a respectable number of lumens, I think the Maratac would satisfy. Even after two years in my pocket, the other tools have not marred its finish too badly.

Oh, and thanks for rekindling my flashaholism. Like I really need to refresh my LED light collection. I've just ordered the Zebralight SC52 recommended above, and am finally heading into the 14500 and 18650 world via Orbtronics.

ETA: Orbtronics (not Obtronics)
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
knolan

Post by knolan »

wrdwrght wrote:Just as I have a Spydie clipped inside my right front pocket everyday, I have a TEC clip inside my LFP. On it hang everyday an assortment of tiny tools (SAK Classic, pen, tweezers, lighter) plus County Comm's Maratac Extreme AAA.

If you're looking for a low-cost always-there super-simple (three levels with successive twists) beater LED light that throws a respectable number of lumens, I think the Maratac would satisfy. Even after two years in my pocket, the other tools have not marred its finish too badly.

Oh, and thanks for rekindling my flashaholism. Like I really need to refresh my LED light collection. I've just ordered the Zebralight SC52 recommended above, and am finally heading into the 14500 and 18650 world via Obtronics.
Hope you enjoy your new SC52...many "flashaholics" consider it a game changing light. BTW, and this is just my subjective opinion, but you'll really like how the SC52's anno'd body looks paired w/your Sage 2's Ti scales...IMO they look like they should be sold as a set!
Donut

Post by Donut »

knolan wrote:I'm gonna jump in here since I know more about flashlights than knives and make a suggestion that if you're willing to try something a little more esoteric, the Zebralight SC52 (released approx. 4mos ago) is a class leading fully regulated 1 X AA light that can use AA alkalines, Eneloop NiMH, or Li-ions. It can produce an industry leading 280 lumens on one AA battery and a massive 500 lumens (for 1 min. before step-down) on a 3.7v li-ion.
Has 280 lumens on one AA battery been verified? It sounds unreasonably high. There used to be a guy on CPF finding actual lumen numbers on popular lights. Also, 500 lumens sounds like it would be dangerous on a normal lithium cell and you'd have to run a Safe cell.

I'll have to do a little reading on this light.

*edit* Selfbuilt's review suggests that it does 290 lumens for a little while with an Eneloop.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
knolan

Post by knolan »

Donut wrote:Has 280 lumens on one AA battery been verified? It sounds unreasonably high. There used to be a guy on CPF finding actual lumen numbers on popular lights. Also, 500 lumens sounds like it would be dangerous on a normal lithium cell and you'd have to run a Safe cell.

*edit* Selfbuilt's review suggests that it does 290 lumens for a little while with an Eneloop.
Your edit comment seems to suggest you have already seen selfbuilt's review, but if not...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... php?354117

Yeah...most people are skeptical of the numbers but it's truly an amazing bit of technology and the attached review shows even higher output than the factory claims, its also extraordinarily efficient, and even has a built-in battery check device. It actually hits 540 lumens w/a 14500 Li-ion but it's timed to drop down to 280 after one minute to avoid heat issues, although the drop-down is barely noticeable in actual use.

I rarely buy two of the same lights but have been carrying the cool tint version (6300k) for a few mos, and like it (especially the UI) so much I and have the new XM-L2 neutral/warm copy on order when it's released in a week or so.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Donut wrote:Has 280 lumens on one AA battery been verified? It sounds unreasonably high. There used to be a guy on CPF finding actual lumen numbers on popular lights. Also, 500 lumens sounds like it would be dangerous on a normal lithium cell and you'd have to run a Safe cell.

Yea as you found it's been controversial. Self Built finds it pretty accurate and Zebralight as far as I have read has been fairly accurate. Although, some critics of ZL think they are full of it.

I have a SC51w and have seen beamshots of the SC52. I know it's a big difference in numbers but to my eye it seems a good example of not over-thinking things. With the smaller LED the lux is higher so with the larger XM-L emitter you basically get a bigger hotspot and a bit more intense spill.

Some of these makers have thermal timers to back the output after a minute or two. Personally I'll take an overbuilt light engine and a cell willing to take the load to redlining a small lithium-cobalt. Prosthetic limbs have come a long ways but why risk it? ;)

IMHO for "EDC lights", functionality > all else. Frankly the visible jump from 200-300 or 350-500 lumens isn't worth giving creature comforts. Most of my light uses are .1-50 lumens so having High CRI or neutral emitters are ideal.
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

airsoftgun99 wrote:Streamlight stylus pro/microstream
+1 on the Microstream.. 28 lumens, great concentration of beam and throw, great clip, uses one AAA battery, great clip and less than $20.
Donut

Post by Donut »

knolan wrote:Your edit comment seems to suggest you have already seen selfbuilt's review, but if not...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... php?354117

Yeah...most people are skeptical of the numbers but it's truly an amazing bit of technology and the attached review shows even higher output than the factory claims, its also extraordinarily efficient, and even has a built-in battery check device. It actually hits 540 lumens w/a 14500 Li-ion but it's timed to drop down to 280 after one minute to avoid heat issues, although the drop-down is barely noticeable in actual use.

I rarely buy two of the same lights but have been carrying the cool tint version (6300k) for a few mos, and like it (especially the UI) so much I and have the new XM-L2 neutral/warm copy on order when it's released in a week or so.
Blerv wrote:Yea as you found it's been controversial. Self Built finds it pretty accurate and Zebralight as far as I have read has been fairly accurate. Although, some critics of ZL think they are full of it.

I have a SC51w and have seen beamshots of the SC52. I know it's a big difference in numbers but to my eye it seems a good example of not over-thinking things. With the smaller LED the lux is higher so with the larger XM-L emitter you basically get a bigger hotspot and a bit more intense spill.

Some of these makers have thermal timers to back the output after a minute or two. Personally I'll take an overbuilt light engine and a cell willing to take the load to redlining a small lithium-cobalt. Prosthetic limbs have come a long ways but why risk it? ;)

IMHO for "EDC lights", functionality > all else. Frankly the visible jump from 200-300 or 350-500 lumens isn't worth giving creature comforts. Most of my light uses are .1-50 lumens so having High CRI or neutral emitters are ideal.
Yeah, I see. I gravitate to Neutral and High CRI. I'm loving some of these new manufacturers selling Nichia 219 based lights.

The next time I have some spare money, I'll try out the neutral version of the SC52w. I remember reading a while back about their lenses breaking and I have a H60w that has a broken lens. Have they fixed those problems?

In my mind, the really nice thing about this light is that it will push other manufacturers to produce lights with similar output.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

I like the Olight s10 baton very compact and high lumens. I also am a fan of Fenix lights.
9 er's.....

Latest :spyder:s...C173G, SC90FPGYE, C81GPGR2...
knolan

Post by knolan »

Donut: I have nothing definitive to offer re the ZL broken lens issues other than remembering reading some threads a year or two ago pertaining to the SC51 if memory serves. I've seen nothing like that with the SC52 although I think I saw a couple of instances where an issue with a DOA driver was reported on CPF (rapid mode cycling), but I'm hardly an authority re their QC data. They seem to have about the same amount, or perhaps slightly less initial product launch issues as other quality makers, although their warranty is only one year...less than most. Buying from a quality US web dealer rather than direct from ZL, or any China based manuf'r for that matter, is the way to go to help mitigate potential QA issues if they arise IMHO.

In terms of tint, I'm not really a tint snob and generally prefer a premium white like the new XP-G2 consistently has, although I have been particularly happy with CREE's new XM-L2 T6 3C tint @ 5000k in a couple of P60 drop-ins that emit a very pleasing creamy vanilla color (cooler than an incan but warmer than most cool tints) w/almost no green, usually so prevalent with the 1st gen XM-L's, and am hoping the new ZL SC52w @ 4400k isn't too warm for me...but I'm prob'ly the exception. Also, the SC52w gives away nothing in terms of output vs the cool XM-L that's common with most manufacturers since its been upgraded w/the XM-L2 and ZL specs remain the same for both.
Jes Schuetz

Post by Jes Schuetz »

Just posting my review from Amazon a while ago. Still everything holds true so far. Will check the specs for their latest model and see if its enough of an upgrade to throw some money at them.

ZebraLight H51 Headlamp AA 200Lm (Electronics)
To be honest, I never heard of them before but all their specs seemed perfect for me. So I took the risk and spent $64 on the standard H51. Not frosted (H51F) and not the one with warm light (H51w)

PROs
* Runs of 1 AA which is available everywhere and can be recharged by virtually all chargers including my solar charger.
* The H51 is also water resistant and very light which is important since I plan to take it on an Appalachian Trail through hike.
* It is robust and made from metal and the lens seems scratch resistant as well. The screw lid for the battery compartment is sealed with an o ring (2 replacement rings in package) and the threads are anodized too and not blank metal like with some other lamp makers.
* There are 6 different levels of intensity plus one strobe mode. I like that because most of the time I dont need full power and wouldnt want to waste precious battery power to just find something in a tent.
* The max brightness and beam angle are more than sufficient for me. I hiked with way less powerful lights in complete darkness on forest trails.
* the lowest brightness is sufficient for the inside of a tent but not much more. Its good to have so many choices in one lamp.
* efficiency: some research on their LED in wiki showed that they are latest generation and very efficient. I compared the burn time per lumen and batteries used and could not find a more efficient flashlight out there.
* the lamp holds up well to cold temperatures. I had switched it on to a medium level and placed it in the freezer. The next morning it was still on and the button still worked 100%. My latest multimode led maglite always needed to be screwed extra tight and/or shaken for its button to work...

Bonus PROs (but not really required for me)
- can be worn as a headlight with included headstrap
- part of the strap glows in the dark and could help to locate the wearer (eg kid) even if he cant manage to switch on the light (lost consciousness, broken finger, who knows)
- the light comes out at 90 degrees and with the included clip you can attach it conveniently to your backpack straps or even shirt (since its very light)

CONs (nothing serious)
* its small and could be lost easily
* how to switch between the 7 modes takes some getting used to (not more than 5 minutes though)
* LEDs are more susceptible to EMP than traditional inefficient tungsten bulbs. However thats only important if you prepare for nuclear doomsday scenarios. Also the zebralights metal casing might isolate it enough, but thats hard to test for obvious reasons :-P

Needless to say Im happy with this light and will most likely not have to buy any other light for a very long time. Well, I might get a few more as gifts.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

knolan wrote:Hope you enjoy your new SC52...many "flashaholics" consider it a game changing light. BTW, and this is just my subjective opinion, but you'll really like how the SC52's anno'd body looks paired w/your Sage 2's Ti scales...IMO they look like they should be sold as a set!
A set, indeed!

My SC52 arrived yesterday and I'm really impressed. A great leap forward over my various AAA, AA, and CR123 models (much loved but dated) from Fenix, Nitecore, 4Sevens, LiteFlux and Maratac. Not a hint of green in the beam, a hotspot so big as to be nearly floody, and a very intuitive immediate UI whose deeper reaches I'm still exploring.

I should add that the Maratac I recommended below (at just less than half the SC52's price) has been discontinued and was not called the "Extreme". I know nothing of its same-cost replacement, called the "Extreme". Sorry for the confusion.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't recall reading much about breaking lenses but haven't followed ZL on the SC52 as close as some. My SC51w has been banged around quite a bit without a problem.

Another maker to consider is Peak. Oveready does special Peak builds with the Nichia 219 for their High CRI option. If you go through Peak (or RMSK) directly for High CRI they use a Cree XP-G that is very warm (like 7A) and as a result not nearly as efficient for output.
knolan

Post by knolan »

wrdwrght wrote:A set, indeed!

My SC52 arrived yesterday and I'm really impressed. A great leap forward over my various AAA, AA, and CR123 models (much loved but dated) from Fenix, Nitecore, 4Sevens, LiteFlux and Maratac. Not a hint of green in the beam, a hotspot so big as to be nearly floody, and a very intuitive immediate UI whose deeper reaches I'm still exploring.

I should add that the Maratac I recommended below (at just less than half the SC52's price) has been discontinued and was not called the "Extreme". I know nothing of its same-cost replacement, called the "Extreme". Sorry for the confusion.
Don't know if I influenced your choice of the SC52, it is after all a very popular new light, but if so I'm gratified to hear you're enjoying it! Recommending a contemporary EDC light to someone is like suggesting a favorite restaurant...they seem to invariably have a bad experience/meal?!

If you're like most users, once you set your secondary output choices along with the three factory settings you'll likely never reset them and just use the light...finding you have just the right amount of light that's easily selected with little fuss, for just about any need. The UI and form factor of the SC52 along with an assortment of small 1 X 16340/14500 infin. variable magnetic control ring lights have caused me, at least for now, to basically stop carrying clicky switch lights altogether. In everyday use they're just so much easier to get the output you need w/o having to cycle through so many modes.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

knolan wrote:Don't know if I influenced your choice of the SC52, it is after all a very popular new light, but if so I'm gratified to hear you're enjoying it! Recommending a contemporary EDC light to someone is like suggesting a favorite restaurant...they seem to invariably have a bad experience/meal?!

If you're like most users, once you set your secondary output choices along with the three factory settings you'll likely never reset them and just use the light...finding you have just the right amount of light that's easily selected with little fuss, for just about any need. The UI and form factor of the SC52 along with an assortment of small 1 X 16340/14500 infin. variable magnetic control ring lights have caused me, at least for now, to basically stop carrying clicky switch lights altogether. In everyday use they're just so much easier to get the output you need w/o having to cycle through so many modes.
I'll blame you. ;) I keep going for the tail end to change things... That habit will need some work. What other magnetic control ring lights do you think are worth a look?

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

wrdwrght wrote:I'll blame you. ;) I keep going for the tail end to change things... That habit will need some work. What other magnetic control ring lights do you think are worth a look?
The ultimate magnetic ring light is HDS; they pretty much started it.

The only thing you have to watch is some have nasty parasitic battery drain. It's one of the reasons I deal with the idiosyncrasies of QTC instead. That and the overall simplicity.