Flashlight reccomendations?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knivesinedc

Flashlight reccomendations?

Post by Knivesinedc »

looking for a good water-resistant light to replace my maglite led mini. I like my maglite, but it always seems to turn on when I dont want it to. Any suggestions are welcome.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I think the best bang for the buck is Fenix. I have 2 and they are just exceptional lights. If you want something small the PD22 is hard to beat

http://fenixultimateflashlights.com/fen ... t-url.html

210 lumens really small, 4 brightness levels, strobe, SOS water resistant

I also own a TK 15 which is 400 lumens but it is a little bigger (thicker) than your mag light

http://fenixultimateflashlights.com/fen ... t-url.html

I am sure you will get lots of opinions also http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php is a good place to do some research.
CGSshorty

Post by CGSshorty »

I carry a Fenix PD22 every day. I can't imagine anything else that size being any better for my needs.
CGSshorty

Post by CGSshorty »

The exact same light recommended by two people simultaneously has to say something.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

CGSshorty wrote:The exact same light recommended by two people simultaneously has to say something.
Yeah that was coincidental :D
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Another Fenix recommendation here I just got the LD22 new model.
There were/are lots of statements about it not being circuited right .
If you use two fresh AA from a packet the low mode won't engage .
Mine engages fine so it seems fixed although I contest the original complaint .
Although if wasn't in the blurb , the low mode usually on flashlights engages when it detects lowering power.
So it preserves energy , great compact light robust and heavyweight , 190 lumens .
Four modes and SOS and strobe us shock and water proof .
All for a very reasonable price here so will be cheaper probably in the USA .
Heard much less positive reviews of nitecore , sure fire are great .
But unless your not worried about $ too expensive .
Barman

Post by Barman »

I've got a Jetbeam Raptor that I use every night at work. Awesome flashlight! I'm thinking I've had it for nearly 2 years and hasn't skipped a beat yet.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

CGSshorty wrote:The exact same light recommended by two people simultaneously has to say something.
I'm a Fenix fan too. I've got 5 of them and they are all terrific. Just pick the one that fits your requirements.

While I really like my PD32UEs my most used one is an LD12. Just a little smaller / more convenient. But the PD22 is a great choice as well.

Ken
玉鋼
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

Surefire. Yeah, they cost more than the Chinese ones....but the warranty is second to none.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I usually ask for requirements before I jump to a suggestion.

What are you using the light for?
What do you want it to do?
Do you like the twisty switch on the maglite?
Do you want to stick with AA batteries?

I'm not sure why a mini mag would be turning on when you don't want it to.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Streamlight Stinger rechargeable
racer88

Post by racer88 »

Not an expert on this. And, obviously, it depends on what you're using it for? Home? Car? Carry?

I recently started carrying a light as part of my EDC. I've been very happy with Streamlight's Pro-Tac 1L. It runs on a single lithium battery (CR123). So, it's small and very bright. Resides deep in my pocket with my keys and SAK.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I highly recommend the Fenix Ld01.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Fenix lights are reliable and fairly inexpensive.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Donut wrote:I usually ask for requirements before I jump to a suggestion.

What are you using the light for?
What do you want it to do?
Do you like the twisty switch on the maglite?
Do you want to stick with AA batteries?

I'm not sure why a mini mag would be turning on when you don't want it to.
mostly night walking and around the house chores+ backpacking/camping( the water restistance is mostly for rain and the occasional drop in a puddle or the gutter). My friends are usually the ones who lose stuff behind a chair at a theater or something and need a light.

I really only need 3 modes: high, low, strobe.

I prefer A tailcap switch. not a big fan of the twisty-head.

Preferably yes AA or AAA are fine.

My maglite sits in my pocket and the head tends to turn and come on whilst in my pocket.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

racer88 wrote:Not an expert on this. And, obviously, it depends on what you're using it for? Home? Car? Carry?

I recently started carrying a light as part of my EDC. I've been very happy with Streamlight's Pro-Tac 1L. It runs on a single lithium battery (CR123). So, it's small and very bright. Resides deep in my pocket with my keys and SAK.
It would be for EDC and backpacking/camping purposes.

Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The requirements you give scream Fenix to me .
AA and they get everything out of them .
Shock proof , waterproof to 2m strobe etc etc .
Be hard to beat at the cost .
knolan

Post by knolan »

Knivesinedc wrote:looking for a good water-resistant light to replace my maglite led mini. I like my maglite, but it always seems to turn on when I dont want it to. Any suggestions are welcome.
I'm gonna jump in here since I know more about flashlights than knives and make a suggestion that if you're willing to try something a little more esoteric, the Zebralight SC52 (released approx. 4mos ago) is a class leading fully regulated 1 X AA light that can use AA alkalines, Eneloop NiMH, or Li-ions. It can produce an industry leading 280 lumens on one AA battery and a massive 500 lumens (for 1 min. before step-down) on a 3.7v li-ion. It does have an electronic switch capable of 11 diff modes with programmability of 6 readily available modes. If your a noob to high(er) end lights, there is a slight learning curve but it's well worth it since this is the new generally accepted gold standard for sheer output from a single AA light. *This has knocked every other single AA, and CR123 light out of my pocket since I got it and I have A LOT of single AA/CR123(16340) lights!

Also, there is a new XM-L2 neutral tint version @ 4400k due to be released to dealer on 6/21 (although these dates tend to slip), and both are a little hard to find due to the rabid popularity but can be had for around $64.

Good luck...a lotta good lights out there at present...check out selfbuilt's flashlight review site...good place to start for a quick education on new flashlight technology.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

If you'd like to stick with Maglites the XL50 is a good one: http://www.maglite.com/maglite_xl50_led.asp

It has a tailcap switch and runs on 3 AAA batteries. The interface is very simple - click once for high, twice for low, three times for strobe. It has a decent beam which can be focused 'spot to flood' like other Maglites, although with mine I just leave it on spot the whole time.

If you want something that will last a lifetime the Surefire outdoorsman series are great, and they have a model that runs on AA batteries: http://www.surefire.com/e2l-aa-outdoorsman.html

Regards,
Bruno
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Almost all quality manufactured lights are at least IPX8 waterproof. I've put the same Foursevens MiNi CR2 through the washing machine on hot twice without a drop of condensation.

I would focus on other features like switch type, led tint, output, modes, and battery preference. Most clickies also have battery lock-out capability too with a slight twist.