Lets shed a little light

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Gunslinger

Lets shed a little light

Post by Gunslinger »

First it was guns, and then knives and now...
Yup, my first high end(at least for me) flashlight. Surefire Back up
E1b. I love this thing. I carried some streamlights before and they aren't bad, but this is sweet.

What do you guys carry?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Lately, I've been carrying a Zebralight SC52. I love the Zebralight UI, and with a Li-ion the 500 lumen max comes in handy. Some other favorites are the Sunwayman V11R and my old Ra Clicky EDC 120.

My first high-end EDC light was a Surefire E2e I bought many years ago. I carried it for years, and still have it. That light seemed so bright when it was new! :)
:bug-red-white
KNaB

Post by KNaB »

bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am not into lights. But I recognize usefulness of the tool. I EDC the old Novatac 120T. My wife and I have Surefires 6PL in the cars. I keep LX2 in my desk and use it around home, when I need. Also I have Maglite XL200 LED in my night stand. I am very impressed with this light. it is made in US and for just $30 it gives you a lot of power and options. I wish it would use CR123 and not AAA, but I can live with it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Veleno 40DD, Peak Logan 123, Dereelight Javelin/C2H hybrid, Macs Custom SST-50EDC

I actually EDC the 40DD as a necklace and probably have the Peak 90% of the time in my pants pocket (it occasionally rotates with lights like the Mac). The Dereelight is always in my coat as a thrower.

Welcome to another addictive world of fun tools :D .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm not really into lights, but I have managed to accumulate a couple Streamlight Twin Tasks, a Boker Plus ???, a Fenix TK-11, and a Fenix TK-15. The last one gets carried whem I''m walking Bear at night and early morning, the others are stationed in my car and around the house.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have several 4sevens models as well as a few Fenix & Nitecore. They can be just as addictive as blades and guns. Proceed with care!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Yeah I'm into flashlights just as bad as knives now :D I'm mostly collecting AAA lights to pair with my Ladybugs.
These are all my AAA/10440 so far:

Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi
Maratac AAA Cu
Fenix LD01 ss
Fenix LD01
Fenix E05 blue
Fenix E01 purple
Fenix E01 gray
Sunwayman R01a UV

Next will be a Peak Eiger Ultra X Brass :cool:

For work I carry a Fenix PD32 UE and a Zebralight h502d.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I carry a preon 0 on my keychain, but that's about it. If I'm going out at night, I'll toss an ultrafire in the car, but I never carry any big light on me. Running out of space! :D Image
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

EagleTac D25LC2 (the modded one from IlluminationGear that has a bit more throw)
or
FourSevens QT2L-X

EagleTac D25C Mini as a backup
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My latest is a Fenix PD32. I also have a Fenix LD01 that I carry in my pocket most days.

The problem with being a light enthusiast is that they become outdated so fast. At one time I had a lot of good lights, now they're all just so-so.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I carry a pair of AAA lights most days. A 4sevens Preon P0 on my keychain and a Fenix LOD CE on another ring in the same pocket as my primary folder. If I'm going out at night I've been carrying a Surefire E1B for the past five years but I just got its replacement a new Surefire EB1.

I have several other Surefire's and a bunch of Foursevens lights. I also have quite a few headlamps as I find these most useful for the outdoors.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, about 4 years ago, I got really into lights, and bought dozens of nice lights. I was dazzled by the new LEDs that seemed insanely bright. But, they quickly became outdated, so I ended up selling many of them (but the old ones are still nice to have in power outages, etc.) So, now I try to stick to one really good EDC light for a couple years until the next leap in technology makes it worth upgrading.

That's the good thing about knives, they never really go obsolete.
:bug-red-white
einstein2001

EDC (every day choice)

Post by einstein2001 »

Maratac AAA Cu is in the mail. :D
All my AAAs have a Fenix LD01 pocket clip mounted bezel up so the light can be used as a suspension clip for my keys and LB3s. :cool:

[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

This is my "just in case" EDC. It won't do all of it, but 90% is covered this way and the other 10% gets a choice from 5.56 to 6.5 mm or 375 H&H, depending on circumstances. Always use enough!

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I EDC a Preon Revo SS (1x AAA) in my coin pocket most days.

Have a Fenix TK15 (2x CR123) in my work bag, and recently ordered a Fenix PD22 (1x CR123).

I agree, lights are also very addictive.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

gbelleh wrote:Yeah, about 4 years ago, I got really into lights, and bought dozens of nice lights. I was dazzled by the new LEDs that seemed insanely bright. But, they quickly became outdated, so I ended up selling many of them (but the old ones are still nice to have in power outages, etc.) So, now I try to stick to one really good EDC light for a couple years until the next leap in technology makes it worth upgrading.

+1.

LED Tech moves pretty quick. If people are looking for the utmost in numbers it's quite different than blade steels regarding edge retention as a XM-L2 (for example) really is vastly superior to a SST-50 and is even cheaper.

That said, an efficient LED being pushed by high current will always be "bright". It's going to be a long time until button-cell or 3xAAA Hardware Store counter lights are pushing 500+ lumens.

Also, as mentioned having a light (even an old one) is extremely useful as few tools can be used in a pinch for lighting. Running your cell phone flash as one is a quick way to ruin your ability to contact the outside world.
Donut

Post by Donut »

gbelleh wrote:Yeah, about 4 years ago, I got really into lights, and bought dozens of nice lights. I was dazzled by the new LEDs that seemed insanely bright. But, they quickly became outdated, so I ended up selling many of them (but the old ones are still nice to have in power outages, etc.) So, now I try to stick to one really good EDC light for a couple years until the next leap in technology makes it worth upgrading.

I try to buy stuff that seems special to me. High CRI, limited edition neutral's, special titanium runs I'll try to go for.

If you keep your eye out, you can get discontinued stuff that is one step down from amazing for cheap. I got a Jetbeam RRT-0 (XP-G, S2) from the Going Gear Garage Sale for $40. I'm really impressed by that thing. It possibly has the lowest low of any light I've seen.

I'm liking some of the new brands who are doing high CRI as an option.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

My current favorite is a Surefire LX2 Digital Lumamax. It was a pair of them, but one has been misplaced; temporarily, I hope! A past favorite was the Surefire M2 Centurion, and I do still have two of them. Then, there is my M3 Millenium, same brand. On the small side, I like the handily small Innova LED lights.

For affixing to firearms, I have Surefire X200 and X300 Weaponlights. I will probably add another X300 soon; this is not just a hobby; I work night shift police patrol in a big city.

I had rotten luck, over time, with Streamlight products, but some of my colleagues are still carrying the same Streamlight SL-20 lights they bought three decades ago, so Streamlight can certainly make a good product.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Blerv, is anyone doing conversions other than bulb substitutes? I have one of those cheap Nite Eyez plugins for my Mag mini, and it is nice and bright and long lasting in comparison to the incandescent but I think a lot more could be done with an internals replacement giving more room for heatsink design and whatnot.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!