Spyderco and then

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
BAL

Post by BAL »

nirvanero wrote:Sure, I was just kidding... in my country you better be discrete with knives, that's why I usually don't carry clipped. Not all the fixed blades have to be impossible to conceal but I know what you mean.
No problem nirvanero, we're on the same page.
The less people that know th ebetter. You never
know when something bad might happen.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Buck Knives, I Like.
*edit punctuation
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Opinel. Only other folder I use.

In the kitchen, Roselli and Fosters Bros.

Ken
玉鋼
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I have an Opinel No8 and a Mora Classic #2 that I really like.
The only other tactical folders I'm interested in at the moment are Hinderer or Strider but they're kinda out of my league right now.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I used to be a very heavy Busse family (Busse/Swamprat/Scrapyard) user and collector - I had over 30 Busse knives alone at one point. You can imagine how much that ran me. I've since sold off the vast majority of those, and only hung onto a handful. I still probably need to sell one or two more, to finance some upcoming Spydies, but it's so tough to leave any of the remaining knives go, even knowing that I could sell them for a moderate profit even after having used them.

Earlier this week, I got some out and cleaned them up a bit to snap some pictures. These don't include the ones that are in more active use (some are kept inside different BOB-type backpacks or my wife's purse, and I keep a Fusion Steel Heart in the trunk of my Jeep...), but ones that I pick from when I head out for an outdoors adventure.

http://imgur.com/a/ednce
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:I used to be a very heavy Busse family (Busse/Swamprat/Scrapyard) user and collector - I had over 30 Busse knives alone at one point. You can imagine how much that ran me.
No need for imagining, I have 20 or so myself. ;)

From an FBM LE down to an INFI HACK. 3 BATACs 2 LEs and a red G10 are probably my favorites but they all mostly go unused. I should follow your example.

Ken
玉鋼
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

The most expensive Busse I ever owned was a Killa Zilla in satin. That was a pricy knife, and too big and heavy to be of any use anyway. The only Battle Mistress I have left anymore is that Bushwacker in my pictures - that's a much more sane, usable blade geometry. I do miss the pure massiveness of a full size Mistress though. Nothing practical about it, but it's nice knowing that you have enough INFI in one knife to melt down and outfit a small army if the zombie apocalypse ever comes :D
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

CRK or Victorinox
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

BigBill5953 wrote:CRK or Victorinox
I forgot about Victorinox (thinking of CRK as a semi-production brand).
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Despite the semi frequent fit and finish issues, I do like Boker. They make some good designs, do some nice collabs...and are affordable.

Other than that, I tend to look at custom.
On the hunt for...
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Despite the semi frequent fit and finish issues, I do like Boker. They make some good designs, do some nice collabs...and are affordable.

Other than that, I tend to look at custom.
I'm aware of that issues in some folders but they really make very nice fixed blades.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Wow. I haven't bought much of any brand other than Spyderco in a while. Lately, the only non-spydies I've purchased have been scale-less fixed blades for scale-making projects. Prior to becoming infected from a spyder byte, I had quite a few Bucks and Cases. I really enjoyed collecting the Case Mini Copperhead pattern - cool little traditional folder...

I just wish these other guys used more premium steels like Sal does...

TedP
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

phillipsted wrote:Wow. I haven't bought much of any brand other than Spyderco in a while. Lately, the only non-spydies I've purchased have been scale-less fixed blades for scale-making projects. Prior to becoming infected from a spyder byte, I had quite a few Bucks and Cases. I really enjoyed collecting the Case Mini Copperhead pattern - cool little traditional folder...

I just wish these other guys used more premium steels like Sal does...

TedP
Nice designs, steels and handle colors... Sal's trick!
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Probably CRK for me. Though I am somewhat intrigued by a few Kershaws and BM Mini Griptilian.
Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

Good thread.

I would go with Bark River knives and Sebenzas

Just because I'm baller like that.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

senorsquare wrote:I like some of the Mcusta and Al Mar designs. I like the ZT 0561 but not for the price they're asking.
I found a place that offers it for 220 new with a tan scale. It's a small bit of a tossup between the Southard and the 0561, but the 0561 has a bit more graceful lines to me, and is made in the USA, not Taiwan. Still not sure if it's worth that price tag for a knife that doesn't really fill a void for me.
9blades

Post by 9blades »

Kershaw or ZT.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Benchmade. I really like my 710, which I will be making some new scales for. Mora also makes some great stuff. I have a Mora scout knife that's about 40 years old and still useable.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I don't buy anything but Spyderco. But if I could get on Brad Southard's list, I'd buy one of his customs in a heartbeat.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
r small

Post by r small »

Benchmade axis lock models are pretty slick. I have a couple.