Edge Pro Blank Adhesive

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
senorsquare

Edge Pro Blank Adhesive

Post by senorsquare »

What's the best adhesive to use for mounting stones to Edge pro blanks?
Clip

Post by Clip »

Two of my Choseras (the 5000 and 10000) just came unglued. Looks like they used silicone or something similar. I cleaned up the blanks with a razor and acetone, and tried to gently scrape most of the adhesive off of the stones, then wet both pieces and put a thin layer of Gorilla Glue on each and clamped them back to back with paper in between. I think parchment paper would've worked better to keep bits of paper towel from sticking to the stones, but after they set I used a razor to clean off the glue from the sides anyway. Afterward I releveled the stones and they seem to be working alright.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have used general purpose adhesive from Wal Mart. Ben Dale uses 3M77 aerosol adhesive but I think he does many stones at once. Since I always have some general purpose glue I tried it and haven't had any fall apart. One of my stones from EP fell off once and I contacted Ben. That's when he told me what he uses. I didn't want to get the 3M because I didn't need it for anything else. With the glue I use the stone/blank separated easy in very hot water. Just put the stones in a pot of water and heat on the stove. It doesn't have to really boil but it needs to be hotter than the hot water from the tap. I guess the two important things is the glue needs to be water proof since I use water with the EP and the glue should release in hot water. When a stone wears out (gets real thin) you can buy just the stone without a blank and glue it to the old blank. Also, there are lots of stones you can buy at the correct size that don't come mounted on a blank so knowing what glue works for you can be important.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

jackknifeh wrote:I have used general purpose adhesive from Wal Mart. Ben Dale uses 3M77 aerosol adhesive but I think he does many stones at once. Since I always have some general purpose glue I tried it and haven't had any fall apart. One of my stones from EP fell off once and I contacted Ben. That's when he told me what he uses. I didn't want to get the 3M because I didn't need it for anything else. With the glue I use the stone/blank separated easy in very hot water. Just put the stones in a pot of water and heat on the stove. It doesn't have to really boil but it needs to be hotter than the hot water from the tap. I guess the two important things is the glue needs to be water proof since I use water with the EP and the glue should release in hot water. When a stone wears out (gets real thin) you can buy just the stone without a blank and glue it to the old blank. Also, there are lots of stones you can buy at the correct size that don't come mounted on a blank so knowing what glue works for you can be important.
Thanks Jack. The reason I asked is because I just ordered some blanks from EP and some Congress Mold Masters to try out and wanted to get a heads up on which glue to use. I really appreciate you sharing your wealth of EP wisdom on here.

On a side note, I also ordered an Atoma 140 to try out for reprofiling. If I understand correctly, these can be used without water or oil. I'm really interested to see how this guy is gonna work out.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Thanks for that clarification on adhesive Jack
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

senorsquare wrote:Thanks Jack. The reason I asked is because I just ordered some blanks from EP and some Congress Mold Masters to try out and wanted to get a heads up on which glue to use. I really appreciate you sharing your wealth of EP wisdom on here.

On a side note, I also ordered an Atoma 140 to try out for reprofiling. If I understand correctly, these can be used without water or oil. I'm really interested to see how this guy is gonna work out.
The blanks at EP can be expensive. I buy aluminium (how I said aluminum as a kid :) ) at Lowe's in 1"x1/8"x36" (or 48") pieces and cut my own. The pieces are around $8 OR $10. You can make 5 blanks out of a 36" piece. I use a Dremel to cut and shape the ends buy you can do it with a hacksaw and file. The aluminum is soft.

I have never used Atoma brand but I think all diamond stones can be used with or without water. DON'T USE OIL. I don't know if it will hurt the stone but it would be very messy and a harder time to clean up. I've used DMT a lot and like water. But if I just do a quick touch up I'll use them dry. A few strokes on a dry F or EF stone and you're done. For reprofiling though I'd always use water because of the amount of steel you will be removing.

That's for knives but for flattening stones I always do that under running water at the sink. I have used DMT coarse or extra course stones and recntly got the cheaper 140 grit diamond stone. I don't expect it to last like the Atoma would but it was about $25 I think.
Freman

Post by Freman »

In my admittedly limited experience sharpening, I've never found any need for oil on stones. Water with a little detergent works fine, and can even clean the stones while you cut.