I have a computer question.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Buck Knives I Like

I have a computer question.

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

Can someone tell me how the intel gma hd gaphics card would do compared to a GPU ( maybe its the same thing? idk ). I'm not much into computers and would like to be able to do some light gaming ( minecraft ) ( league of legends ) etc with reletive ease, here is the link to what i am looking at. As of right now im sort of broke, also I have about 3 knives on my list to buy. so my budget is only 300 bucks. this computer barely falls under that price limit http://www.amazon.com/Asus-F55A-AH91-AS ... s+computer

Edit: So because this is pretty much the only forum I frequent anymore I was hoping that if anyone knew a better option instead of this or anything about it at all. for example i don't think it would be possible to get any dedicated V ram for this price right? and maybe i should go with a desktop for this price... i see some for like 100-300 and look very nice. All information is appreciated as I have no light upon this subject!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Not sure bout LoL but it shouldn't be difficult to run on most modern computers. Minecraft could probably be run on a calculator.

The best option is to get a desktop. Assuming you have a monitor to plug it into dollar for dollar you will get MUCH more performance.
Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

Blerv wrote:Not sure bout LoL but it shouldn't be difficult to run on most modern computers. Minecraft could probably be run on a calculator.

The best option is to get a desktop. Assuming you have a monitor to plug it into dollar for dollar you will get MUCH more performance.
Lol calculator.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The calculator and a $300 computer have a similar graphics card, hehe.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I admittedly know very little about laptops, and I've been out of the "lets buy the new top performing graphics card every time one is released" scene for a long time, but for the money I would buy a desktop. Look for last year's models if you can find closeout sales, you may be able to get a better performing desktop for the same money. Also, they're much easier to upgrade when you feel the need. You can do the same thing with graphics cards, buy one that is slightly outdated but will still run the games you play. It's all still new to you, and you'll get the performance you want for less money. It's honestly a huge waste of money to buy the hottest new PC components right when they come out, you're just paying for the newness.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

A $35 Raspberry Pi will play minecraft, however I wouldn't recommend it for non tech people.
http://raspberrypi.org
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

einstein2001 wrote:A $35 Raspberry Pi will play minecraft, however I wouldn't recommend it for non tech people.
http://raspberrypi.org
As high end components get smaller and cheaper, this will be the future. My cell phone has a stronger processor than my first PC had (by about 3x). At some point you'll be able to get gaming PC power in an extremely small size. The only catch is that by that point, technology will have advanced to the point that this amount of power is near useless.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

Asus makes good stuff. If you really want a laptop, that one should be fair. Like others have suggested though, you will get substantially more performance out of a desktop. Personally, I would never buy a $300 computer.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Depending on having or not a nice HDTV I would suggest waiting until you can afford expending at least $400 on a laptop. Light gaming at 720P resolutions is no problem and you'll get a much more versatile pc. Years ago I built some powerful desktop computers but I no longer need that graphical beasts and stick to the laptop and mobile.