Please, don't feed the trolls.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Donut

Please, don't feed the trolls.

Post by Donut »

I have noticed recently that many people discussing many things that are completely off topic. We are arguing about semantics, spelling, attitudes, and everything non-knife related.

Let's say I start a thread about peanut butter and jelly and the first post is off topic and talking about carrots. If you start talking about carrots, you are giving the carrot guy a reason to keep posting.

It would be beneficial for everyone, that if someone posts something crazy or off topic, that we all just scroll to the next post and keep moving in a good direction.

Please let me know your thoughts.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Carrots are great with roast and mashed potatoes. :)

I completely agree!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I know that I am different, but I like to make toast, butter it and then put
Peanut Butter in between two pieces of toast. Taco flavored Doritos also go
well with this. And a cold one, if you go that route.

Does anyone else like this combo.

Wait, what was the question.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Actually Donut, I tend to agree.

If I am walking through Walmart and see a VI (Village Idiot), I tend to look
away and just walk on by. I don't feel the need to stop and talk. I have found
that in most cases if the VI somehow lures you into a conversation, then you
are there for 5-10 minutes and you will never get that time back.

After I manage to get away from them, I can finally get over to the Peanut
Butter aisle and get me some Jif, butter, loaf of bread and maybe a bag
of Taco Doritos and some Coors N/A.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I have to agree, I have used the ignore function on a number off forum members for the first time ever. Not that I have been here for that long but it is the first time I have felt compelled to use that feature. That said, I like it. I get rid of a lot of the really negative stuff and crap that seems to just pull you in, stuff that if it's my choice, I really don't want to read.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Agreed Donut. :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Donut wrote:It would be beneficial for everyone, that if someone posts something crazy or off topic, that we all just scroll to the next post and keep moving in a good direction.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Would you suggest an immediate alternate thread be started on "carrots" to avoid derailing the original thread?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I can count to potato.

Yes I agree, unless the carrot tangent is somehow related to the original topic.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

PanChango wrote:...Yes I agree, unless the carrot tangent is somehow related to the original topic.
This is all I was hinting at. If the topic is still similar or slightly parallels the original post, it should still be considered free thought right.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

I blame it on the weather. It seems to happen every year, a forum goes through a season cycle. Winter is serious, Spring is goof-ball time. My guess is that the mood will mature the moment PM2 shippments come in or something else major happens. People are just starved for new things to talk about.
Eh?
-GT
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would say that carrots are in no way, ever related to PBJ. As is semantics, spelling, and attitude ever really related to knives. I agree with xceptnl about talking about similar topics.

BAL, that's how I've been seeing the forum lately.

DRKBC, I currently have one person on my ignore list. I hear you. It's tough to ignore when everyone is quoting and talking to that person.

GTPowers, that's a good thought, you might be right. I've been finding myself somewhat more goofy lately. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I suspect things will calm down for a while around here. The ability to [BAN] was recently utilized. Haven't seen that in a while.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Donut wrote:I would say that carrots are in no way, ever related to PBJ. As is semantics, spelling, and attitude ever really related to knives. I agree with xceptnl about talking about similar topics.

BAL, that's how I've been seeing the forum lately.

DRKBC, I currently have one person on my ignore list. I hear you. It's tough to ignore when everyone is quoting and talking to that person.

GTPowers, that's a good thought, you might be right. I've been finding myself somewhat more goofy lately. :p
Take it you've never tried carrot jelly with your peanut butter. :p

All kidding aside, I do agree with your original post and do wish that VBulletin could find a way to hide quoted text when the party being quoted is on your ignore list.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I find VG-10 works best for spreading peanut butter. :rolleyes:
I'll show myself out.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

%%##$%^&**%$@!@#*&#^%#%$*%#$(&^$-i just bought a bag of troll-chow :mad:
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Can we feed the trolls Donuts? :)
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Some situations require the "turn the other cheek" mentality, but I also see a need to call people out and bring them out in the open for the mods to see. There are only a few mods and I'm sure they have lives and don't have all day to spend reading every post on the forum. When one new [MEMBER] comes along and stirs the pot as much as this last one did, he's single handedly poisoning the atmosphere here and look at what that one person accomplished in doing so. It's not pretty but I fully believe that without the drama that lead up to him getting banned, he would still be here stirring the pot. Not all problems can be solved by putting them on the ignore list. Look at all the negativity created just towards new members in general in the forum knife thread, and it had less to do with new members and more to do that that one single person and the things he was posting. You can't just ignore things like that, and sometimes it gets worse before it gets better but once you weed out those types of people, the people who belong here and are here for the right reasons will stick around and eventually see things for what they really are. It does suck that so many new members got to see the uglier side of things right through the gate, but once the bad apple is pulled from the bunch I think it will improve drastically enough to counter all that negativity.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BAL

Post by BAL »

All I know is that I am somehow getting the feeling that I am
NOT getting any peanut butter and toast for a while. I'll just get
me a Troll House Cookie and be on my way.

einstein, where ya at brother, you sound smart to me, do you
like cookies.... and toast.
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I hope threads rather stay on topic after last days` turbulences though nice to know some members show teeth when provocation gets extreme.

Being able to state opinions in here makes the forum interesting, having people to share their experiences and knowledge makes it educative and getting to know some things about peanut butter toasts and carrot jelly besides being off-topic makes it a delicious read.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote: DRKBC, I currently have one person on my ignore list. I hear you. It's tough to ignore when everyone is quoting and talking to that person.
+1
Currently I also have one person on ignore list. For some reason he is quoted too often. Hopefully he will disappear right after Forum knife will be released.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian