Fitness community - group inspiration

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jeep45238

Fitness community - group inspiration

Post by jeep45238 »

I guess I'll start this off. I've noticed over the course of my life, and especially in the military, that team work is everything. Yes, we all like to have some "me"/quiet time, but when it's time to get %&@# done, nothing gets it done more effciently than teamwork.

This brings me to fitness. I know that a lot of us are in shape, be it fit, average, or you bring a keg to the party - we're all in shape to some extent. What I mean by this is that we all naturally have our strong points and weak points. I hope that by sharing this, we can become a community that's not only about some of the best performing, affordable knives ever made, but also in fitness. I think that it would be a strong fit for this community - for a simple reason. Preperation. Knife people are preppers to some extent - otherwise you wouldn't carry a knife on you just for that time you might need it during the day ;) And no, preppers to me aren't those TV people (I don't even have any food stock outside a gallon of milk and pint of ice cream). What are you prepping for? You have to ask yourself that question, but I assure you, you are prepping for something. Maybe it's a wartime deployment to the front line. Maybe it's being able to change a tire without asking for some help. Maybe it's to run a half marathon in 5 months. Maybe it's to throw the ball with your kid after school. I'm prepping for two of those right now, and I'm sure I'll be adding to the list as the days go on.

Here's my story. Growing up I was very active - 6 month canoe trips in the styx, 100+ mile bicycle rides a day, etc. Then comes high school, and I was the same height I am now - just a hair under 6 foot. I also weighed nearly 220 pounds, and hardly any of that was muscle. Fast forward nearly 10 years, and I was down to 190. Just fit enough to do some things for a little bit of time without completely draining myself, and felling it the next few days because of how I hard I was on my body at a young age. Then I enlisted in the Air Force.

Suddenly, what I was doing wasn't going to cut it. 27 going into a career field where the indoctrination/PT was aimed at 18/19 year olds, I knew I had some work to do. I started running. I started doing body weight workouts. I found some friends and did circuit workouts on the track every Sunday. I cut pop, sugars, seasonings, butter, you name it. I dropped down to 180 or so, but had gained a fair amount of muscle while trimming down the waist line from late January to July. After basic training I weighed 173 with a 30 inch waist, ran 1.5 miles in 10:35 and did 35 pushups/minute and 48 situps/minute. Not bad for a 28 year old.

Tech School came after that, and due to the nature of my job training and the duties I took on while there, I told myself I didn't have time to work out and stay in shape. Six months later, I found myself weighing 180 with a 33 inch waist, running 1.5 miles in 11:27 and doing 48 pushups/minute, 48 situps/minute.

Now I'm operational. I told myself I'm going to be in better shape than BMT aerobically speaking, and stronger than I was in Tech School. I got lucky in my job assignment, and work M-F like most people here - 10 hour days. I also have family to take care of after work (my granddad is 92, 93 in 5 months, aunt is also local and has bad disabilities). I'm also undergoing upgrade training, and have hobbies that I like to do. So yes, while I may liive in base housing, and not have any young ones I'm raising, I probably have time that's as limited, if not more, than most people here.

If you're like me, and said enough of this ^@#&, let's start working as a team. Mutual support, and knowing somebody else is suffering towards the same end goal as you, will do wonders for your improvement. I'm going to make this a blog of sorts for myself, and throughly encourage others to put in their advice, expertiece, and hopefully, we can get others involved and make this a continuous tale to inspire others with our combined successes.

Without further adue, I present to my brothers in steel the un-official Spyderco workout group.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

For those that don't want to go to the gym, I can't blame you. There's always some jerk who knows everything, and finds the newest person to be by to make them look better than they really are. Don't let them get in your head if you go to the gym. You're there for you, not to impress some stranger.

I prefer to work out partly at home, and party in the gym. I do body weight workouts and a few free weight workouts at home, cardio on the street, and hit the machines at the gyme twice a week right now.

For home equipment, save your money and don't buy all the crap you find at sports places. Assuming you weight under 200 pounds, I strongly recommend the purchase of a body weight workout kit. The best one I've ever used is the TRX system, but I can't justify the price of that gig until I get deployed to a warzone. Until then, less beefy stuff works just fine for home. I recommend this one for the price, quality, and ease of availability. Make sure that you follow the directions for mounting if you use the door mount, otherwise you may damage a door and severly hurt yourself.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Su ... r/21811900

I would also highly recommend a good quality pull up bar. Even if you can't do a pull up, by having it in your doorframe, it's a constant reminder that can't easily be put out of sight or out of mind. Everytime you go through that door, try to crank out pullups. For this reason, I recommend a busy doorframe. I can get into exercises to work yourself up to pullups later if somebody wants me to get into it.

The one I personally recommend this style:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-Fitness- ... r/15859558

The straight bars fail often and result in injury, but this style, when properly fitted to the frame, binds under weight and uses the house structure to support your weight.

Other than that, you're pretty much set to start off, and will be setup to do some pretty advanced workouts later on as you improve yourself over time. This is also a good time for me to recommend you workout in the mornings, not after work. I wake up an hour earlier than I used to so I can work out, and it makes a huge difference during the day. I'm alert and not drained, whereas before I got that feeling from 6P-3A and couldn't sleep. Working out in the morning is 100x better than the afternoon/evenings if you ask me.

Eat to support your goals. Your body NEEDS energy and nutrients, and you get that from food. Do not starve yourself, as your motabilizm will take a crap and you'll be working against yourself. Start drinking a minimum of a gallon of water a day, and a good quality multi vitamin. I use to have kneed/hip/ankle problems, especially after running. A good multi is GNC's Mega Men Joint pack. You'll need more than your average one-a-day as you start working out, trust me. If you want to try some suppliments that will help you reach your goals, I would strongly recommend C4 Pre-workout, and a high quality whey protien (I use GNC's cookies and cream flavor, it's awesome tasting). These won't do you anything however, unless you are working. Three reps using 5 pound weights won't get you results you're after. No, these also won't mess up your body's chemistry or make you pop positive on a piss test for anything.

I'm very limited on the suppliments/etc. I can take as a military member, especially since a lot of them can pop me as a false positive on a piss test, and then I'm out of the service. If you see me recommend anything, rest assured it's safe.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Friday 19APR13 -

Woke up at 4:45, pounded down a serving of whey and 2 servings of C4 when I rolled out of bed. Did the following exercises for 3 sets of 10 reps each using the body weight setup:

Pull up bar:
Normal grip, palm out pullup, max (3)
Hammer grip, max (6)

Inverted rows
Tricep extentions
Pull ins
Reverse flies
Chest flies
One arm pushups
Curls

Free weights:
30 pound curls

I then did max reps of each exercise in the above order. For the free weights, I immediately rotated to 20 pound weights once I maxed the 30's. Between sets I took a moment to hydrate, but no more than what was needed. The goal is to be tired and weak in the end, not well rested between sets.

For breakfast I'm having:
2 eggs over easy (I eat the yolks, hardly any whites)
3 slices bacon (the real stuff)
1 slice french toast (no syrup or powdered sugar)
2 glasses water (plus multi-vitamin)
1 bannana
1 glass OJ
1 TINY cup of coffee

The calorie count for the above meal:
641 calories

Morning weight: 179 pounds
Goeri

Post by Goeri »

Hi Jeep,

I strongly reccomend http://www.strongfirst.com. You will find all you need there, and more...
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

There's a difference between a fitness oriented group, which is great, and branching out to those who aren't fitness buffs for moral support. I'm a member of more than one fitness group for a reason, but that's not the point of this. Thank you though :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Great idea, Jeep. I applaud your outreach.

I used to work out regularly. I was never "fit" (and I haven't weighed 200# since I was 6 ;) ) I should get back into it one day. But today is not that day, sorry.

But I'll follow your posts. You never know.

Ken
玉鋼
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I'm a firm believer in having fun (and I bet most people here are as well). I rarely train or workout on the weekends, and I do have a few 'cheater' meals as well. It's important for your mental health, and it also helps your body recover fully for the next cycle of training.

This weekend is no exception. 5 Guys and Fries today, some coffee yesterday, poker games, and good times had by all. But, I've got a half marathon in 5 months, and I'll be damned if I don't complete it at the front of the pack.

Tomorrow morning has a nice relaxed 45 minute jog planned on the track. Tonight though, it's studying my CDC's.

Ain't to rest for the wicked,
Grandpa
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

kbuzbee wrote:...I was never "fit" (and I haven't weighed 200# since I was 6 ;) )
Ha ha! I know what you mean, Ken. I was ghosting 6' tall when I was about 11 years old. I started wearing my dad's jeans when I was 14. Some people have referred to me as the missing link to Sasquatch. (Ok, I may have made that last one up, but you get the idea). :)

Jeep,
This focus on fitness is an excellent idea. I've always tried to stay in shape for the most part, but I know that I can do better. In the past three months, I've dropped a few pounds just by doing some simple workouts and exercises at home (nothing fancy). My wife and I are also looking forward to some warmer weather so that we can go out and ride our bikes and play some tennis.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

SpyderNut wrote:Ha ha! I know what you mean, Ken. I was ghosting 6' tall when I was about 11 years old. I started wearing my dad's jeans when I was 14. Some people have referred to me as the missing link to Sasquatch. (Ok, I may have made that last one up, but you get the idea). :)
At 6'6" and 300# I (to the great relief of my parents) stopped growing at age 13!

Funny you say that, my nickname in college WAS Sasquatch!

Ken
玉鋼
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

kbuzbee wrote:At 6'6" and 300# I (to the great relief of my parents) stopped growing at age 13!

Funny you say that, my nickname in college WAS Sasquatch!

Ken
Heh heh! Too funny. And here I thought I was the only bigfoot around these parts. :) Fortunately, I stopped growing when I was around 18 or so. At 18, I was 6'4" and weighed 225 lbs and wore a size 13 shoe. At present, I'm probably closer to the 220 lb range. The sad thing is, the older I get, the harder it is to stay in shape. Argh.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Roll outta bed 'bout quarter to three, Air Force troops gonna motivate me. Wait a minute.....it's not jodie time.

Anyways, went out to the track today for a short little jog in the cold. It's been a while since I've done cardio, and today definately was a good day for it. I only put in two miles, but with yelling jodies to myself in 0 degree weather, I was pretty satisified with it. My plan, currently speaking, is to tack on half a mile a week. That will put me to running 12 miles before the half marathon. Having done nothing but lift for about a month, it feels good to put feet to pavement.

Starting weight: 181
Weekly weigh in: 177lbs

2 egg yolks, a pancake, some bacon, some cantalope, apple juice, a scoop of whey protien, and three glasses of water are going to be in my belly for breakfast in about half an hour, and off to work I go. It's a great day.

It's off to work I go,
Grandpa
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Good for you at being lower. I'm pretty much the same as I was at 13 ;)
SpyderNut wrote:The sad thing is, the older I get, the harder it is to stay in shape. Argh.
Isn't THAT a sad truth to wake up to? ;)

(Don't worry, Jeep, we're listening..... ;) )

Ken
玉鋼
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

It's for the group, everybody can contribute as they want :-)
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Rolled over at quarter to five, downed some whey and C4, and walked on over to the gym. A bunch of tech schoolers were giving me dirty looks for not being on the track, but hey, I'm not in tech school any more, and I don't have to spend an hour for a marginal workout anymore :D

Went to the weight room and did 3 sets of a upper body workout. I go to the gym for machines and weights once or twice a week (weather depending - I prefer bodyweight exercises outdoors).

Today was lat pulldowns (130), pectoral flies (80), deltoid flies (80), vertical press(120), shoulder press (100), bicep curls (80), and tricep dips (150). Please keep in mind that I'm not lifting with the goal of gaining a bunch of muscle mass, just to increase my strength. More muscle mass just means that's more weight I have to run with and bulk tends to slow me down to say the least.

Breakfast was the solid mix of french toast (no powdered sugar or syrup), 2 over easy eggs (eat the yolks only), 3 slices of bacon heaveness, a bannana, glass of OJ, 2 waters, half cup of coffee, and a multivitamin pack.

I have noticed that when I work out in the mornings compared to the afternoons (yesterday) that I feel far more awake, alert, and energized throughout the day. Plus work told me yesterday that I can take two days a week to leave 1.5 hours early to go do my own work out (so this afternoon will be spent on a bike).

Kicking life in the teeth,
Grandpa
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I've been going at it for about a week now. On Friday I did a 5K before work, though I had to slow the pace about 1/2-3/4 of the way through due to some pain in my left ankle. With more time pounding the pavement I'm sure it'll go away, though it's probably time to look into a new pair of running shoes eventually.

Here's where I'm at on the whole. I weigh in at 175 and stand 5'11".

I haven't done a PT test, but I'm seeing results in the gym. I can maintain proper form and get a few more reps out of exercises, other ones I can increase the load I'm lifting, and others I went from not being able to do at all to being able to do a few reps. I'd call that a sucess :)

I know I'm no body builder, and I'm putting this out there for a personal record - cover your eyes and skim past if it offends you. Either way, you have to know where you started to know how far along you've gotten.

Yup, that's me. Not in horrible shape, but not where I'm content either. I'm going to do the photo part monthly so I have a reasonable comparision - photos and results don't lie to you, unlike friends you may have (in their defense, they're trying to make you feel better - thankfully all my friends are way too **** honest for that :) )
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Here is a lil motivational video for you guys :D

[video=youtube;U5Bo5xAOXrk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Bo5xAOXrk[/video]

at the very least you might get a belly laugh out of it and that is using your abs ;)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

That's what I'm talkin about!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

It's been about a week and a half since the last update. I'm down to 175 now, though I've been packing on more muscle. It's not a huge amount mind you, but it's enough where my arms are starting to fill shirt sleeves that used to be relatively loose, and I'm able to do exercises that I previously wasn't able to do.

It was upper body day at the gym today, and I'm happy to say that I can now do 25 diamond pushups, 20 clapper pushups, and I stopped regular pushups at 35 out of boredom. I've increased the weight on lat pulldowns by 25 pounds since I started, chest flies by 30 pounds, deltoid flies by 30 pounds, tricep dips by 60 pounds, vertical press by 30 pounds, and curls by 40 pounds. I'm pretty happy with that. My run time hasn't suffered, and I'm running 3 miles every other day this week (still taking Sunday off).

Diet's been pretty good, and my cheat meal was hot dogs, burgers, and beer at the sprint car races on Saturday. I feel far more energized every day, I can focus on things much better, and I don't get the afternoon drags any more. I'd really suggest a good morning workout to everybody.

Born in the USA,
Grandpa
Holland

Post by Holland »

great thread! I highly recommend looking into the Mastover Diet. I gained about 20 pounds from december 2011 to december 2012, then started the diet mastover made for me and ive been getting much cutter without losing the muscle i gained.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I'm kinda limited on dieting options to be honest. I don't make much money at all, and since I live on base I don't get any BAS, so I eat at the dining facility. They're supposed to have healthy options, but it's maybe 10-15% of the options there that are healthy. My best dieting option is honestly portion control and how the food is cooked. I'm attempting to get at a 40% carb/40% protien diet,and have recently come close to that balance. Either way, time to hit the gym (they open in 3 minutes). Core day today.

Yesterday I ran 4.06 miles in 33 minutes at a 8min/mile pace on the track, ended at 8:21 min/mile with an average of 8:16min/mile. Not too bad for a 0500 run before work. Started breakfast off with about 600 calories in the bank.