Screwdrivers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
powerandtel

Screwdrivers

Post by powerandtel »

I am looking for a good quality "pen" type screwdriver with Torx bits so I can adjust my knives anywhere . Anyone know where I can find something like this?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Not sure about "pen" style but Home Depot and Lowes sell decent Torx drives that store the various two headed bits in the handle. I've not needed anything better.

Ken
玉鋼
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

kbuzbee wrote:Not sure about "pen" style but Home Depot and Lowes sell decent Torx drives that store the various two headed bits in the handle. I've not needed anything better.

Ken
I've been using a set from the home depot as well. Works plenty well enough for me.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I have two of those Husky Torx sets.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I also have the Husky set. It has worked well.
:bug-red-white
powerandtel

Post by powerandtel »

I've been looking for one of those! HD or lowes doesnt carry that particular model or anything similar in Canada. Does it fit true to size unlike the cheapies?
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
Husky for me too.

I also picked up a Picquic Teeny Turner that has torx, phillips, and flat bits, x3 each.

Its not a pen style, but a stubby screwdriver type with storage for the bits as holes in the handle.
Its not as compact, but offers more torque via the larger handle.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Can't help you sourcing in CA.
powerandtel wrote: Does it fit true to size unlike the cheapies?
Yeah, I've heard there are a couple higher end brands that are even better but I've never had an issue using these on my Spydies.

Ken
玉鋼
setldown

Post by setldown »

This maybe overkill but it fits the description.

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-75093-Handle ... C+16+Piece
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I was just about to advise checking amazon.com but the member above beat me to it.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have read a lot of endorsements for the small sets from Lowes and from Home Depot. I have also read of a lot of people that damaged tools and fasteners with the inexpensive tools. I've read recommendations for the Wiha brand and I bought a small set for myself, slightly under $20 but not quite as portable as the small sets pictured above.

If the $5 sets are working then no need to spend more, but if you run into stubborn fasteners such as some of the Spydercos with loctited screws then maybe the more expensive sets are worthwhile.

mattman

Post by mattman »

I have used a lot of tools in my time, and, in my experience, the Husky set is an extremely good tool for the money. Wiha is very high quality, but, I have absolutely NO reservations about using the Husky set on my collection, and I'm a guy that looks for any excuse to buy new tools...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I actually broke one of those Husky bits trying to tighten the pivot on my 20CP Para 2. I couldn't tell if it was just thread locked tight or completely bottomed out. It broke clean off just before the spot where it flairs out larger to fit into the driver. I'd post pics but I threw the whole thing away after that. Hopefully I just got a bad one, I was really shocked that the bit broke before the screw stripped.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
setldown

Post by setldown »

I don't think it was a defective bit, Spyderco are built to survive. :D
Focus is just distraction from distraction, so I take my moderation in moderation.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I'd prefer it, actually, in that situation, David. It proves the bit was hardened, and it sacrificed itself, instead of damaging the fastener. I don't necessarily consider that a problem with the tool, just that you needed some heat to release the loctite... in my opinion, the proper "fuse" blew first, in your situation.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

H, Spyderco SFO sells Wiha torx keys in three sizes fitting all the screws Spyderco uses. The keys are sold individually. I also use the Husky set since years and it works just fine for me. When you fancy the Wiha keys, call SFO and they will be happy to serve you!
Jurphaas :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

powerandtel wrote:I've been looking for one of those! HD or lowes doesnt carry that particular model or anything similar in Canada. Does it fit true to size unlike the cheapies?
I have several Wiha sets and four of that Husky set (which in itself should tell you something). Unlike nearly every other set, the fit on all four of the Husky drivers I've got (which, by the way, were purchased over a period of a couple of years) is perfect, just as good as the Wiha sets.

The report above of a broken bit is, as Matt points out, actually a sort of endorsement, because it is probably the result of over-hardening. I have not seen any wear on the Husky bits. I'd highly recommend that specific driver/bit set.

Pull the divider in the handle out and you'll get all four bits stored in the handle. :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JNewell wrote:I have several Wiha sets and four of that Husky set (which in itself should tell you something). Unlike nearly every other set, the fit on all four of the Husky drivers I've got (which, by the way, were purchased over a period of a couple of years) is perfect, just as good as the Wiha sets.
My experience has been the same, no problem at all with the Husky Torx sets.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

husky has worked fine for me also
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:My experience has been the same, no problem at all with the Husky Torx sets.
And credit where credit is due, the idea for yanking the insert so all four bits can be stored in the handle goes to the Deacon! :) :spyder: