A Specific Search for a Traditional/Elegant Flipper

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Spygineer

A Specific Search for a Traditional/Elegant Flipper

Post by Spygineer »

Hey Folks,

I've recently been introduced to flipper folders (a little late to the party, I know) and have the Southard in my sights. I currently own a CRKT Summa and loving it. I also have a Kershaw NRG2 on the way. I am in the process of trying to find an elegant flipper folder, but have a very specific criteria in mind. I found one, but I can't seem to find one on sale here in the U.S. (it is the Maserin Gourmet). I was hoping to get some recommendations from the more experienced forum members here...

The MUST-HAVES are (and ALL must be met):
1. Must be a flipper (and preferrably only a flipper. no studs)
2. Must be non-tactical-looking (prefer more elegant gents knife)
3. Must be 3.5"-4"
4. Must have either G10, micarta, or wood scales (no stainless or titanium handles)
5. Assisted or manual is OK
6. less than $100 range

If anyone can help me find one that meets ALL 6 critereas, I would be appreciative.

Thanks
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Man, you really picked it, lol. I have had about 6 knives pass through my head while reading this but all are disqualified by one or more criteria. All I can say is good luck in your search, and that you may have to increase your budget. ;-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

kennethsime wrote:Man, you really picked it, lol. I have had about 6 knives pass through my head while reading this but all are disqualified by one or more criteria. All I can say is good luck in your search, and that you may have to increase your budget. ;-)
Right!?! I'm glad someone recognizes the challenge I just put myself through. I thought I was the only one that could not find one that meets all. Seemed like a common request when I was making the list...turns out I was wrong. Thanks for trying.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Can't think of anything perfect either. The Kershaw junkyard dog almost makes it, but it's tactical. Although tactical is a matter of opinion I guess. Also the Kershaw Tilt, which comes in CF, but it does have thumb studs. And there's the kershaw leek/scallion, but they are both metal handles. Kershaw skyline is also another misfit. Maybe the kershaw groove?
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Minibear453 wrote:Can't think of anything perfect either. The Kershaw junkyard dog almost makes it, but it's tactical. Although tactical is a matter of opinion I guess. Also the Kershaw Tilt, which comes in CF, but it does have thumb studs. And there's the kershaw leek/scallion, but they are both metal handles. Kershaw skyline is also another misfit. Maybe the kershaw groove?
Thanks Minibear! I do like the skyline, chill, and the shallot. If only the skyline and chill were a bit bigger and the shallot did not have all stainless handles...My search continues.

In my mind, I am picturing a buck 110 married with a flipper design, but thinner and not as heavy. For now, I think the Summa and the Southard are the only ones that to me a near perfect (though at the moment I cannot afford the Southard).
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Maserin will give you a list of USA stockists but have you seen the Viper keeper its a dual flipper 3.3/4" handle specs you wanted too, not exactly tactical or gents folder but a nice mix.
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Bladekeeper wrote:Maserin will give you a list of USA stockists but have you seen the Viper keeper its a dual flipper 3.3/4" handle specs you wanted too, not exactly tactical or gents folder but a nice mix.
Thanks for the info, Bladekeeper! I've never heard of Viper knives. They have some interesting designs and somewhat affordable. How's their quality?
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

The CRKT Carajas may fit your criteria but it was just announced @ SHOT Show 2013 so it isn't available yet.

Whoops! No it won't fit all of them; the blade is too short.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Spygineer wrote:Thanks for the info, Bladekeeper! I've never heard of Viper knives. They have some interesting designs and somewhat affordable. How's their quality?
Its reputed to be good, Italian workmanship I've found is usually very good the viper drop is a lovely little gentlemans folder , heinnie.com has a section on the knife catogories but again its uk prices and USA prices will be cheaper that site is the best in Europe the reviews are spot on as they won't sell anything that is badly reviewed .
I have Crkt the folts minimalist trio and the triumph fixed blades I find them ok but QC is not as good as others and their 8cr13mov isn't a patch on spydercos.
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Chris_H wrote:The CRKT Carajas may fit your criteria but it was just announced @ SHOT Show 2013 so it isn't available yet.

Whoops! No it won't fit all of them; the blade is too short.
Haha. Thanks for trying. :-)
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

I'm probably to old to not consider a "traditional flipper" like some sort of an oxymoron, for me "flipper" means "tactical thingy". But as we see more and more flipper knives, this way of opening a knife will probably become more "traditional" in the future.
Anyway, the only knife I know that tends to meet most of your criteria is a modified Boker kwaiken to become a flipper:

Specifications:
Overall Length: 8.39" (21.3 cm)
Blade Length: 3.54" (9.0 cm)
Blade Thickness: 0.13" (3.2 mm)
Blade Material: AUS8
Handle Material: Micarta
Weight: 4.16 oz. (118 g)

Here is the mod:

[video=youtube;MzqwKDF5g_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzqwKDF5g_U[/video]
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Flipper pioneer Kit Carson (acknowledged in Spyderco's Product Information & Warranty Guide for the Southard Folder) has a number of CRKT production knives (see http://www.crkt.com/kitcarson) that seem to fall within your criteria (although one man's "tactical" may be another's elegant weight-reduction). For the price, however, don't be surprised that their steels are less than prime.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I was with you right till the $100 came up, that makes it tough. Sounds like something Kershaw would fit the bill though.
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

DRKBC wrote:I was with you right till the $100 came up, that makes it tough. Sounds like something Kershaw would fit the bill though.
Thanks. Do you know what a reasonable price range would be?
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

wrdwrght wrote:Flipper pioneer Kit Carson (acknowledged in Spyderco's Product Information & Warranty Guide for the Southard Folder) has a number of CRKT production knives (see http://www.crkt.com/kitcarson) that seem to fall within your criteria (although one man's "tactical" may be another's elegant weight-reduction). For the price, however, don't be surprised that their steels are less than prime.
Thanks. I have been looking at crkts and kershaws. Coming from spydrco, i do have a slight issue with less than prime materials.
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Tally-ho wrote:I'm probably to old to not consider a "traditional flipper" like some sort of an oxymoron, for me "flipper" means "tactical thingy". But as we see more and more flipper knives, this way of opening a knife will probably become more "traditional" in the future.
Anyway, the only knife I know that tends to meet most of your criteria is a modified Boker kwaiken to become a flipper:

Specifications:
Overall Length: 8.39" (21.3 cm)
Blade Length: 3.54" (9.0 cm)
Blade Thickness: 0.13" (3.2 mm)
Blade Material: AUS8
Handle Material: Micarta
Weight: 4.16 oz. (118 g)

Here is the mod:

[video=youtube;MzqwKDF5g_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzqwKDF5g_U[/video]

I did see that and thought about it for a while. But I've read complaints about the thumb stud and i am not inclined to mod my knives. Too bad as i do like the look of the knife. Thanks.
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

Buck vantage:

[video=youtube_share;Jw8T31NqAe4]http://youtu.be/Jw8T31NqAe4?t=1m50s[/video]
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

DRKBC wrote:I was with you right till the $100 came up, that makes it tough. Sounds like something Kershaw would fit the bill though.
Here goes;
- ZT Rexford 0801 (+/- $200) It depends what you think of as elegant and I know you didn't want titanium as a handle option but it is a more interesting titnium handle than many and I don't find it tactical looking.
- The ZT Hinderer 0566 (+/- $150) both ZT's are Elmax steel.
- The benchmade 300SN (+/- $150) is maybe one to consider though not the best flipper more a kind of axis lock/flipper, 154cm.
- Ckrt Ken Onion Ripple (+/-$100) if you want something slim kind of an interesting handle too and a few color options, super fast.
- Kershaw Skyline (+/- $50) Kershaw Turbulance (+/- $75 and made in the US of A).
- Spyderco Domino, I am sure it will be worth wait!

I didn't keep within your criteria very well, but you never now sometimes rules are meant to be broken.
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

These knives are technically flippers, though not in the sense you were thinking of.

From the top: Svord Peasant Knife, generic Higonokami, and the Citadel Knives Japonino.

The Svord Peasant knife sells for around 15 dollars, the Higonokami around 15-20 dollars on eBay, and the Japonino sells for $105 straight from the factory. You could get it cheaper if you find a Citadel retailer, which admittedly easier said than done.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

They are friction folders and by design I thought a flipper licks into place using the flipper motion as opposed to keeping it closed by compressing the extended tail.
They do flip though.