CC holster recommendation

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rg02

CC holster recommendation

Post by rg02 »

Formal you board folks, I am looking for a recommendation for standard outside the waistband belt carry for my glock 26. I currently have a wilderness brand gun belt with a crossbreed super tuck horsehide IWB holster. Looking to transition from IWB carry and see if OWB is more comfortable and just as concealable. On a budget so no customs :D

Thanks in advance! Pics too if you can!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Wow, no one? Lol
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Try raven concealment. Pretty good from all I've heard. Haven't tried it though since we aren't allowed to carry on the waistband here.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'm more of a fan of IWB for daily carry and my favorites there are the CompTac CTAC and the Desantis Scorpion. They're both rather wide for IWB, but consequently are VERY stable and comfortable.

For OWB, I have a CompTac paddle and it's very nice for the few times I use it. It is normally a range only proposition.

As much as I love Glocks, they're not the most comfortable gun to conceal due to the blocky slide top. 1911's and others with a rounded slide top are much more comfortable, even if they are heavy. That being said, I'd still rather put up with a Glock for concealment.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have been wanting to transition to an OWB as well for at least the winter. I have been looking at the OWB SideSlide from White Hat Holsters. They seem to be very budget friendly and have upgrade options.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
BAL

Post by BAL »

Galco or Desantis makes some nice leather OWB holsters.
Depends if you like open at the top or the thumb break that
holds the gun in. They don;t take logn to release with a little
practice and ht egun stays in place better. Blackhawk Serpa
makes a nice retention plastic one that you have a finger release.
benben

Post by benben »

Don't know how you feel about a paddle holster, some folks don't like them. I carry a Glock 26 everyday in either a
Comp-tac paddle or a Alabama Flapjack belt holster. I use both holsters with a Belt Man belt (awesome must have purchase).
Holster is only as good as your belt but you already know that having a Wilderness belt. i probably use the paddle around
70-75% of the time. Check out Comp-tac, great company to deal with !
benben
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'm not sure I see the reason that the Belt Man belts would be considered "must have"s. They appear to be well-made, and as they are designed to be gun belts, they have some sizings and features that many types of belts would not. the elephant hide belt sounds like one I would wear, and possibly horsehide for range/shooting days. I have a nice quality handmade belt that cost me about 15 bucks and it's great after about a decade.. a little wear, but I don't see it coming apart any time soon. Mine does not have that fancy embroidery on it, just a big heavy piece of cowhide. I can definitely see where the stiffness of a heavier hide might create a functional advantage, or why a belt that is suggested to possibly last the rest of its owner's life would be worth a decent sum of money. So while I don't know that I'm in a position to spend that kind of money, I can appreciate things well-made. I just was wondering if there is something specific about these that makes them really stand out that I am unaware of after looking at the site.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

On a budget?

No question: Glock Sport/Combat. I've had one forever.
benben

Post by benben »

defenestrate wrote:I'm not sure I see the reason that the Belt Man belts would be considered "must have"s. They appear to be well-made, and as they are designed to be gun belts, they have some sizings and features that many types of belts would not. the elephant hide belt sounds like one I would wear, and possibly horsehide for range/shooting days. I have a nice quality handmade belt that cost me about 15 bucks and it's great after about a decade.. a little wear, but I don't see it coming apart any time soon. Mine does not have that fancy embroidery on it, just a big heavy piece of cowhide. I can definitely see where the stiffness of a heavier hide might create a functional advantage, or why a belt that is suggested to possibly last the rest of its owner's life would be worth a decent sum of money. So while I don't know that I'm in a position to spend that kind of money, I can appreciate things well-made. I just was wondering if there is something specific about these that makes them really stand out that I am unaware of after looking at the site.
It may not be for everyone, but it's one of the highest quality accessories i have ever bought! It is a true gun belt that i wear
everyday to hold a pistol. It is also my everyday work with jeans belt and on Sundays when i wear a suit, the dress belt feels
like i'm tying a rope around me. Thats how stiff one of his belts are. I bought the bull hide, the next one will be a black horse
hide belt. The main purpose of his belts are to hold the pistol grip close to your body (and support the weight of the gun) and
3 years later it still does very well. Hope that helped?
benben
JLS

Post by JLS »

benben wrote:It may not be for everyone, but it's one of the highest quality accessories i have ever bought! It is a true gun belt that i wear
everyday to hold a pistol. It is also my everyday work with jeans belt and on Sundays when i wear a suit, the dress belt feels
like i'm tying a rope around me. Thats how stiff one of his belts are. I bought the bull hide, the next one will be a black horse
hide belt. The main purpose of his belts are to hold the pistol grip close to your body (and support the weight of the gun) and
3 years later it still does very well. Hope that helped?
benben
Agreed that a proper gun belt is a wise investment.

I've been wearing the same $45 Galco COP black leather belt for 10 years. It shows some wear, but still functions just fine. I got it's replacement a couple of years ago and since it still looks nice, it's what I wear with a suit.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will check out the recommendations!
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

rg02 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys! I will check out the recommendations!
Let us know what you chose. I do also recommend the 5.11 duty belts if you are not set on leather. Mine was the best $18 ever spent.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
rg02

Post by rg02 »

xceptnl wrote:Let us know what you chose. I do also recommend the 5.11 duty belts if you are not set on leather. Mine was the best $18 ever spent.
Will do. I have a wilderness nylon gun belt. Had it for 3 years and it is still awesome.
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge