Super new Geek light bulb from Canada...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
psimonl

Super new Geek light bulb from Canada...

Post by psimonl »

"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

This is closer to the LED lights we were promised before they became commercially available.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Cool beans! Roll your own light bulb!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't know if a dozen or so LEDs attached to a puzzleboard is the best use of the tech. It certainly isn't cheap.
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Those look sweet, wouldnt mind replacing all my bulbs with those
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I like how they thought outside of the box on this and didn't constrain themselves to a traditional lightbulb shape. As a user of a couple LED light bulbs in the house my biggest issue is the heat they generate, the fact this design doesn't even require the heat sink is impressive.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You don't have to worry as much about heat when there are a number of them being pushed at about a watt each (or less). The harder they drive the less efficient and more heat. The problem with a number of LEDs is cost.

I would rather run a dozen single die units at 1w than one 12 (or 24) die bulb at 12 watts. The dispersion of light seems better that way.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Seems like a great idea. Hopefully the cost isn't too steep right off the bat.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Interesting, but I think I'll pass. I've never been one for "grand illumination" and all the bulbs in my home are CFLs, save a couple in fixtures I can't reach and rarely, if ever, use. They're mostly 13w -14w replacements for 60w incandescents and most were free gifts from my electric company, so initial cost has been minimal. I just did a few rough calculations and my home uses less that 20KWH of electricity per month for lighting. At just under 9 cents per KWH, that about $1.75 worth of electricity per month, or about $21 a year. To me, that falls into the "inconsequential" category. Not to mention they're even fuglier than the fugliest Spyderco. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

it took me a bit to find where to actually buy one. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/619 ... nt-lightbu so it would cost $30 to help kickstart the production and you get one light bulb for it. I would buy some, regardless of how ugly they are but not for $30. Hopefully some big company will buy the tech and make these guys rich and hopefully not screw the end user too much on the price per bulb. I figure a few years before it gets to us.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tonydahose wrote:it took me a bit to find where to actually buy one. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/619 ... nt-lightbu so it would cost $30 to help kickstart the production and you get one light bulb for it. I would buy some, regardless of how ugly they are but not for $30. Hopefully some big company will buy the tech and make these guys rich and hopefully not screw the end user too much on the price per bulb. I figure a few years before it gets to us.
In fairness Tony, that's not an awful lot more than current 100W equivalent LED bulbs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Backing this bulb! I want to see if it really delivers what they claim and if so I will buy a bunch.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
dialex

Post by dialex »

QUOTE: "...Project by Gimmy Chu..."
... a cousin of the one with the shoes, perhaps... ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

The Deacon wrote:In fairness Tony, that's not an awful lot more than current 100W equivalent LED bulbs.
i know, i wont buy the current $30 bulbs either. I bought a bunch of the mini cfl ones when home depot had them 4 for $2.50. They were probably losing money on them just to get the cutomers in the door. I would buy the LED bulbs if they were $10 a bulb, that is as high as i would go.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's a question of LED price. I didn't do much of a calculation but it looks like about two dozen of them. Even at 50 cents apiece the raw cost would be $12 per unit not including the other components and packaging.

Cree has a record breaking multi-die LED that does 200 lumens per watt (at 1w), the MK-R. Through a reseller (Cutter) it's just under $7 per unit. If you push it to 4w I believe the efficiency drops to 106/w.

I'm morally opposed to any light they don't tell you what is being used :p . Not that it would be a deal-breaker it's just a bothersome detail.
CameronCurtis

Post by CameronCurtis »

defenestrate wrote:This is closer to the LED lights we were promised before they became commercially available.
When will they become commercially available? They look superb.. I would love to get them..Any information?