Where to find knife laws in other countries?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Where to find knife laws in other countries?

Post by Half Sack »

I will be doing some traveling soon and I don't know the knife laws where I'm going. Worst case I'll leave my beloved :spyder: s and buy a knife there to bring home.
For specifics I'm going to Cuba and possibly Jamaica.
If legal my normal EDCs will be packed for day to day situations, and I plan on packing my Caspian (finally! this is why I bought the Caspian-thanks Sithus) I'm not willing to lose my knives at the airport to customs or argue with cops, so where are world knife laws?
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I doubt there's an accurate an up-to-date compilation of them anywhere. Too many countries and too much of a moving target in some of them. That said, the consulates and/or embassies of any countries you plan to visit might the most logical places to inquire.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

It isn't enough to know the law on the books (statute law), you have to know how it has been interpreted and adapted in the Courts (case law) and also how the law enforcement and prosecutors are applying the law on the streets. As Paul says, it's a constantly moving target. The best you can do is to carry something conservative and unprovocative (e.g. a sub 3-inch non-locker) - always play it safe and remember you are guest in another man's country :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

There is a very comprehensive list of questions and answers to legality issues in the law section on Britishblades not just the uk but other eu countries.
It may take a trawl through various threads in that section but it certainly had very accurate answers its also worth considering that legal and lawful ? Are different in how its applied especially in the uk.
We can have a fixed blade but must have a valid reason like work or camping but for a edc that has no limits 3" under no lock is the stop .
Even so its still not black and white in respects that if a policeman doesn't know the law .. Many dont regarding uk legal they may confiscate it.
You would then have to prove it to reclaim it but I'm no expert and actually a noob on laws so checking it out would be better.
Half Sack

Post by Half Sack »

Hmm good points. I mainly just want to make sure going through customs they don't take it, or have a "talk" with me.
I just don't want to bring something that will obviously get me in trouble. I don't plan on dealing with cops when I'm there so I'm not too worried about the interpretation in that sense just want to get to there and not walk into a trouble situation.
I'll keep searching and see what I can find, if not my spydies stay at home, no one gets my knives but me. Besides that means I get to buy local knives which is pretty cool :)
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I'd avoid taking any knife in my pocket or cabin bags anyway - just put everything in your suitcase and if you have to open it when you arrive then as long as it's a folder and non-assisted you should be fine. I don't know any country where it is illegal to *possess* a folding, non-assisted knife. Carrying it on the streets is another matter but I'd probably chat with the Customs guy and just say you carry a pocket-knife back home as a general tool (not for self-defense) and ask him about their local carry laws. If he says you can't carry that knife then just leave it at the hotel. As a tip, give it to the guy closed and if you open it use *both* hands - don't be tempted to one-hand-open it or (even worse) flick it open :D

The main thing is to remember these guys have a job to do - to spot criminals. Make sure that whatever you take is inoffensive and doesn't make you look like Rambo and you should be fine. I'm not sure about the crime levels in Cuba but in Jamaica they have a lot more to worry about than tourists with pocket-knives on them ;) Off the top of my head, I'd say that with the UK links to Jamaica then I'd guess their laws were similar to ours - so a non-locking, sub 3-inch folder should be legal.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Half Sack

Post by Half Sack »

Knives never go in a pocket or cabin bag, I'm very careful to move all knives into my check bag usually aout a day before just so I don't make a mistake.

I think the leatherman or crappy fake swiss army knife may be the 'knife' to bring. No chance of people being upset with those and I still get to have a knife just not my spydies :(

Its a shame the to be legal, unoffensive and reasonable causes honest people to be this worried. My poor caspian was finally going to get a chance to shine, instead paranoia and "Gotta be legal gotta be legal, don't want to get in trouble" is wrecking that.
Do criminals all get together and say I think I'm going to mug someone tonight, but I don't have a permit to conceal carry my gun, what should I do?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

When traveling if I can't find specifics I go conservatively sized and cheap or pack nothing. The logic would be willing to quickly relinquish it if questioned.

Tourists don't always get the same treatment as locals. It's not fair but such is life. :(
Half Sack

Post by Half Sack »

I think I'll go knifeless or just the leatherman as I mentioned. Everyone of my spydies are too expensive or sentimental to lose. If it could be returned I'd risk it but no I can't lose my knives.
I think the ladybug would be ok but its not a slipjoint so it *could* be an issue, not worth it.

I didn't mean to really rag on other countries laws, or really be upset about trying to stay legal. Its just that it is funny that people go through so much effort to stay legal and friendly when most are good honest people just trying to function day to day.

Knife shopping while on vacation is not the worst thing in the world ;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm in the exact same boat as you, bro - even from Alberta! I can't decide on a Squeak, Pingo, or nothing. I feel naked without a knife, and what if there's an emergency where a knife is needed? Stupid *** laws, if you ask me. Stupid *** criminal idiots wrecking the world. Sorry for the rant, but I'm sure I'm not alone. I've never been out of Canada before, so I'm extra paranoid.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Half Sack

Post by Half Sack »

Jazz, your not alone, if its the US or Europe you can probably figure it out with some effort. Keep in mind I'm sure you've seen the 'is this knife legal' a million times, sometimes the answer is well known, times like now not so much.
I made the mistake of carrying my knifes (just edc nothing special) while traveling through the states during a move. I noticed the 'no knives' etc sign while paying for our tickets to use the ferry! :O Immediately I got super paranoid knowing that I had one clipped to the outside of my pocket.

I'm not really complaining about the laws per say, but the lack of accurate information and the amazing amount of inaccurate info is crazy.
Trying to be legal basically requires a lawyer or some sort of magistrate official.

Jazz where are you headed, if its USA/Europe keep in mind every state will have laws that vary so know exactly where your route takes you, same with countries in Europe.

Funny my original Spydie interest was to grab a Spyderfly...