Done buying knives for a while

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Done buying knives for a while

Post by Evil D »

How many of you have said this? LOL. Well, with the latest purchase of my M4 Manix 2, I really feel like I'll be carrying that knife for a good long time. I've also amassed a fairly high stack of Spyderco boxes, which is something that (believe it or not) I don't like doing because I like to have intimate long term monogamous relationships with my knives, and there are a few on the shelf that haven't been carried in a long time.

Today I also ordered a bunch of Shapton glass stones and a few Atoma diamond plates for reprofiling on my Edge Pro, so I should have sharpening under control for a good long while too.

On top of all that, I pulled the trigger on a knife that I've never seen in person or held, that I have zero feedback on except for one video on You Tube. That knife is the Wild Steer WX Folder. If you don't know about this knife, you NEED to watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOYlgsYhmDE

It's not a Spydie, it lacks a thumb hole, **** it lacks any form of one handed opening. It's all metal (except the funky paracord fins), and it doesn't really look to be all that comfortable to use, but the brutal punishment that guy puts this knife through sealed the deal for me, and that's exactly what I plan on doing with it...I'm buying this knife just for morbid destructive abusive curiosity. It'll probably only get carried around the house or hiking/camping, but I couldn't help myself. What I don't need is another awesome Spyderco knife to compete with the already awesome collection I have, so this is something different enough to feel justified. I've always loved the engineering side of a folder, and this knife is chocked full of engineering.

Despite all that, there are still a few knives I feel the need to purchase this year....the Domino, a Junior, the S90V Manix 2/Yojimbo 2, just to name a few.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I only plan on buying two more knives this year. I said none, but the equilibrium must be mine, as must the autonomy.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am no fooling myself, I know better than to say those words to myself or out loud. I will be buying again in 2 weeks. I love finding older models.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i quit watching after he was hammering the blade thru the car door, enjoy the knife though.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tonydahose wrote:i quit watching after he was hammering the blade thru the car door, enjoy the knife though.

LOL That's the best part! He goes on to baton the living crap out of that thing and the pivot never shows any signs of play whatsoever. Call it stupid, call it abuse, that knife is tough as nails.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

*This post reserved for future possible regretful complaining post about said knife*

;)
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

that knife is one of the ugliest things ive ever seen haha. was fun to watch though
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Holland wrote:that knife is one of the ugliest things ive ever seen haha. was fun to watch though
A face only a mother could love lol.
~David
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Evil D wrote:How many of you have said this?
Did it yesterday! I realised I had to many knives and put an end to it, not gonna buy a knife in 2 months :) Today someone did me an offer I couldn't refuse and bought 4 Ladybugs :D
Evil D wrote:On top of all that, I pulled the trigger on a knife that I've never seen in person or held, that I have zero feedback on except for one video on You Tube. That knife is the Wild Steer WX Folder. If you don't know about this knife, you NEED to watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOYlgsYhmDE
I would love to see a review from you on that knife, I held it at a local knifeshow and I must say I was surprised by the design and engineering on this knife. The innovative lock turns it into a strong fixed blade. I played a little with it and must say I have hesitated to purchase one. Looking forward to your findings on the WX

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

IG-88 wrote:Did it yesterday! I realised I had to many knives and put an end to it, not gonna buy a knife in 2 months :) Today someone did me an offer I couldn't refuse and bought 4 Ladybugs :D

I would love to see a review from you on that knife, I held it at a local knifeshow and I must say I was surprised by the design and engineering on this knife. The innovative lock turns it into a strong fixed blade. I played a little with it and must say I have hesitated to purchase one. Looking forward to your findings on the WX

The biggest hurdle for me is not being able to clip it in my pocket and open it one handed. In a lot of ways, it's pretty stupid when you think about it and I probably should've just got a nice fixed blade, but I can't help but admire the engineering in that lock, no matter how ugly it is.
~David
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

ive bought a few low cost custom friction folders recently-they seem to be some of the best deals imho-

nothing has given me a tizzy though- last was a military style one
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Eyh. I've got extra cash from my last birthday. Found myself looking at the Vallotton, Manix 2XL, and GB but promised my wife that I'd be done for awhile after the Techno. Regardless, I'd love to get any of those three buuut the super blue sprints I will most certainly pick up at least one model. But the GB haunts me as do the others. Never stops till it's impossible.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I think I've hit that "done with knives for now." I haven't bought a knife for a year and my next planned purchase is a back up of my current EDC (the Caly 3.5 VG10). I believe I have found the knife that works best for me. The only other knives I want are the Southard (I want a flipper but this is out of price range), the Sage IV (to fulfill the collection) and Spyderco's kitchen knives (which should be coming this year).

I'm focused on saving up for an Edge Pro Apex. I get decent results with the Sharpmaker but I really want an exact sharpening device that will help me re-profile my knives.

Now, my knife itch may change when Wouter shares his Amsterdam pictures with us ... :D
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The problem is this is a recognised symptom of buying called buyers fatigue spyderco seem to release a new knife that hits that "only if something like this in my mind" is produced sweet spot , a few days after you've convinced yourself.
As for me I'm dealing with what I term "creepers" models I initially wasn't amazed by but now must have such as the valotton.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

I do understand.

The last Spydie I bought was a Perrin Street Beat, a fixed blade.

I thought a fixed blade would be better than a folder for all the lock-related obvious reasons...

... but honestly, it's so much harder to carry the (very nice) kydex sheath than it is a pocket clipped blade. I love the knife, but it has been doing kitchen duties recently over work in the field.

"No more" ?

I can't say that. Spyderco is my touchstone.
Invective

Post by Invective »

I've recently come upon a large expenditure that I need to save up for so I am trying to put off buying knives for a while. Gotta save up some $1500 which is a seriou hamper on knife buying :P although admittedly, what I'm saving up for is an engagement ring for the girlfriend, so it's a much better investment than any knife :D but it does mean having to miss out on all these awesome sprints planned like the SB Caly but whatever I can always find one on the secondary market. That's much more fun anyways :P
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I've been buying knives for a long time and I've gone through some ups and downs. I did mostly stop buying knives for several years because I was focusing on another hobby, but I've gotten back to buying knives again and I bought a good number in 2012. My wish list has maybe 15 potential purchases on it, maybe 4 or 5 that I really want, so I anticipate buying a more reasonable number of knives in 2013.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If you stop the bad guys win!

That doesn't make much sense but the drama is compelling :p . I've mostly stepped back to sprints and a few standard production ones here and there. Not necessarily stopped just rationally stepped back to weigh things :) .

Rationality isn't a bad thing. Just don't go disappearing! :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I won't say I'm done but, depending on how I feel at any given moment, Spyderco has either been leaving me pretty much out in the cold for the past couple years, or treating my wallet very well. Truth is, very little of the new stuff tempts me, Last new ones I purchased are the ti Chaparral, the damascus Caly 3, and the C54 Calypso Sprint, but I can't say any of them really excite me. Nothing on the horizon really doe either, although I'm hoping the upcoming damascus Stretch will at least have some customizing potential. So, unless some more really rare Q's show up on eBay, this year is going to be very easy on my wallet.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JLS

Post by JLS »

Evil D wrote:The biggest hurdle for me is not being able to clip it in my pocket and open it one handed. In a lot of ways, it's pretty stupid when you think about it and I probably should've just got a nice fixed blade, but I can't help but admire the engineering in that lock, no matter how ugly it is.
I did enjoy the one hand opening demonstration on the video. I don't know that he defines "sharp" the same way many of us do if that's an acceptable method of opening.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...