Is it right to carry knives in church?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
BAL

Post by BAL »

diny123 wrote:Actually..Can someone tell me what is the purpose of carrying a knife to the church? I seriously do not have any idea of this..In face hearing for the first time..
Why wouldn't one carry a knife to church, or anywhere else for that matter.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

hehe one time I got busted for having an airsoft pistol in my pocket at church in 3rd grade.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

NicholasPayne wrote:There should be no guns and knives in church. We don't need them in church so why to carry. It is so simple to understand but many individuals don't want to :)
If it's ever ok, anywhere, it's ok in church. If it's not ok in church, you shouldn't be carrying them, ever, anywhere.
dialex

Post by dialex »

NicholasPayne wrote:There should be no guns and knives in church. We don't need them in church so why to carry. It is so simple to understand but many individuals don't want to :)
I think there is a little confusion here. Indeed, there should be no weapons in the church, it's the golden rule for thousands of years and for good reasons, no doubt about this. But a knife is merely a tool rather than a weapon. So yes, it's ok to carry a knife in the church as long as you treat it as a tool.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

curdog wrote:Member of a small church amount 75 members most carry knifes
and about a dozen carry handguns
Yup, Pastor included.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I think there is a little confusion here. Indeed, there should be no weapons in the church, it's the golden rule for thousands of years and for good reasons, no doubt about this. But a knife is merely a tool rather than a weapon. So yes, it's ok to carry a knife in the church as long as you treat it as a tool.
Alex, many churches have asked members to come up with plans, and help prevent nutcases like this guy

http://murderpedia.org/male.M/m/murray- ... otos-1.htm

from coming in and killing everyone just because they hate religion, other people, themselves, etc. Often the people will have a plan including armed responders in the building itself. Typically parishioners who are trained, often ex or off duty law enforcers, or just people who care.

It's usually not going to be a spontaneous "quick, who brought their gun today?" thing though.

I don't consider my pocket knife a weapon but wouldn't be letting other people see it anyway in church, or anywhere else in public. IF I carried a weapon with a permit it would be the same. I always make sure I don't go into a business, or a persons house carrying a weapon without a reason, and permission. Just basic respect IMO.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Only a person with a gun can stop a man with a gun.
Raymond3

Post by Raymond3 »

Catholic here. Go to church every day in a surburban area of Northern California. And, I always carry a knife, usually full size like a Benchmade 710 or 520, or Spyderco Manix 2. Clipped to my pocket so it is visible to everyone. Never had a problem of any kind, or even anyone seem to notice it at all in over 30 years of doing that. Well, some have noticed it, but only after Church when I take it out, open it and am cutting cake, pizza or goodies in the hall.

Sometimes on Sunday or special occasions (like my children's weddings, funerals, Easter etc.) I will use a smaller dress knife, but those are in pocket.

Just never had any reason to make an exception to the rule: Always have a good knife with you at all times. And, it has never on any single occasion ever even occurred to me that God minded.
johnnygomer

Post by johnnygomer »

As long as you don't plan on stabbing someone I say A okay. :D
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

My 10 year old carries his Grey FFG Endura wherever he goes, including sunday school. One day after church he told me he had a Becker BK14 neck knife on, a Tenacious in one pocket and the Endura in the other!! I just laughed. I usually have my Military when I go, it's my "dress up" knife. My wife will have a ladybug, or often the Kershaw skyline. Oh I just remembered one Sunday my 8 year old had his mora hanging around his neck. A knife is a great tool to have no matter where you are.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Of course it's ok. I've been doing it for fifty something years now. Of course I think it's better to carry something small and not on a pocket clip so as not to appear as if you are carrying it as a weapon because carrying a knife as a weapon will only get you in trouble. You should aiways say it's a tool and never mention weapon or self defense. Always say you use it to open boxes or peel apples etc. and let the other person form their own opinion if they want to.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I have an EDC system that is carried everyday. That is my baseline for tools on hand. I supplement the EDC system freely and generously when I deem it appropriate. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Interesting discussion!
jackknifeh wrote:There is a story in the new testament where I think Jesus "purged", "cleansed" all meats making it ok to eat the meats that were unlawful to eat by old testament laws. But, Paul (I think) goes on to say that even though Jesus cleansed the food, making it ok to eat it, if there is someone who doesn't know this and sees you eat some he will think you were sinning intentionally and you shouldn't do that. Your example is more important than the food. Therefore educate the guy, then eat the steak.
Yes, you're referring to Acts 10 where Peter has a vision and a voice comes to him saying "Do not call impure anything that God has made clean."

The quote from Paul comes from 1 Corinthians 8, where Paul is discussing the eating of food that has been sacrificed to idols. The key point here is in verse 9 where he writes: "Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak." In other words, think of the effect that your action has on others. So your analysis is spot on.

In the context of carrying knives, I carry in church every Sunday, but nobody needs to know I'm carrying. Fortunately most people in Singapore don't know what that clip in my pocket is attached to ;)
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
doctorknife

Post by doctorknife »

I bring my ESEE machete in the church.
A moderate degree of courage joined to great ability will produce greater effects than moderate ability with great courage.
- Carl von Clausewitz

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Spyderco Military Digital Camo CPM-S30V
Spyderco Endura Spyderedge VG-10
Spyderco Matriarch w/ Emerson opener VG-10
Spyderco Resilience 8Cr13MoV
Spyderco Delica Spyderedge ZDP-189
Spyderco Manix XL CPM-S30V
Spyderco Sage Blue Bolt Action CPM-S30V
Spyderco Pacific Salt Yellow Spyderedge H1
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

No, it's not okay to carry knives in church. I would never subject my knives to that kind of torture.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]