Is it right to carry knives in church?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Clip

Post by Clip »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:...when you go outside.
Who does that anymore?
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Clip wrote:Who does that anymore?
Haha, you're church is inside your house?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

kbrouwer wrote:I'm Catholic and go to church on Sundays. I'm actually an alter server. I usually take my knives out of my pockets and put them in my drawer before church. I'm not looking to get all into biblical philosophy and everything, just some yes's and no's. Do you think it's right to carry a knife in church?
Since you are an altar server, it is okay to carry a knife, there, if the intent is not to use it to hurt someone. Also, many priests feel that there should not be any material in the altar that is made from something like bone in which an animal died in order to make it. Some priests, during these dark times, find it comforting to know that some of those around them might be able to handle a serious threat in the church while they are bundled and tied in all the vestments they have to wear. Also, a good pocket knife comes in very handy in the altar because there is always something that needs opening, fixing, or cutting (candles, wine bottles, acolyte robes, etc).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I have always carried a knife in church ever since I got one. Of course I work with kids at my church so I don't pull it out when I'm with them obviously. Nobody has a problem with me carrying a knife. The only time I am not allowed to pull it out is during study group, because its a distraction............ AN AWESOME DISTRACTION! :D
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
BAL

Post by BAL »

Clip wrote:Who does that anymore?
How else do you get home.
BAL

Post by BAL »

NicholasPayne wrote:There should be no guns and knives in church. We don't need them in church so why to carry. It is so simple to understand but many individuals don't want to :)
Welcome to the forums. I have an idea that you are on the opposite opinion of most
people, especially on this forum. Eveyone has their opinion and there is no right or
wrong in that.

Personally I don't shop at any place that does not allow conceal carry. I wouldn't want
to be inside that store without any way of protecting my family or myself. The same
would go for a church.

I am not sure why it is simple to understand why a knife shouldn't be allowed. I would
offer the opposite.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

BAL wrote:Welcome to the forums. I have an idea that you are on the opposite opinion of most
people, especially on this forum. Eveyone has their opinion and there is no right or
wrong in that.

Personally I don't shop at any place that does not allow conceal carry. I wouldn't want
to be inside that store without any way of protecting my family or myself. The same
would go for a church.

I am not sure why it is simple to understand why a knife shouldn't be allowed. I would
offer the opposite.
You missed your calling at the State Department Bal. :D
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

I have been carrying a pocket knife virtually everywhere since I was a kid, including church. In my younger days, I did not consider a simple folding knife to be a weapon, anyway, as it seemed the blade would close upon one's fingers. Even at school, simple folders were not seen as weapons. (I graduated from high school in 1980.)

Today, most of my knives will lock in the open position, and I am more aware of the weapon potential, but the knife clipped into my left pocket is still primarily just a tool, to me. If I want to bring a weapon to church, that means something more substantial, such as a sword or pistol, and in my part of the world, in my culture, in the twenty-first century, that
means a pistol, which relegates the pocket knife to a secondary or tertiary role if an armed encounter were to occur.

If a church policy were to deny my entry onto the physical premises because I am carrying a knife, that church can do without my membership. After all, a church is the membership; the building is just the meeting place. I do not like the idea of a majority discriminating against a minority. I would rather worship with those of like mind.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
BAL

Post by BAL »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:You missed your calling at the State Department Bal. :D
:cool:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

If a church policy were to deny my entry onto the physical premises because I am carrying a knife, that church can do without my membership. After all, a church is the membership; the building is just the meeting place. I do not like the idea of a majority discriminating against a minority. I would rather worship with those of like mind.
Very well put Rex. I agree.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

There should be no guns and knives in church. We don't need them in church so why to carry. It is so simple to understand but many individuals don't want to
Perhaps your religion is different from mine but there is no reason I can't or shouldn't take a knife to church. I certainly see no moral reasons not to either. Whether I have a knife or not wouldn't be any other persons business.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Rex G wrote:If a church policy were to deny my entry onto the physical premises because I am carrying a knife, that church can do without my membership. After all, a church is the membership; the building is just the meeting place. I do not like the idea of a majority discriminating against a minority. I would rather worship with those of like mind.
+2 Very well said!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Mastiff wrote:Perhaps your religion is different from mine but there is no reason I can't or shouldn't take a knife to church. I certainly see no moral reasons not to either. Whether I have a knife or not wouldn't be any other persons business.
That's just the problem Joe, a lot of people make it their business. These kinds are often very good at swaying a group's public opinion and portray us as bad guys. A lot of us don't care but it still stinks.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That's just the problem Joe, a lot of people make it their business. These kinds are often very good at swaying a group's public opinion and portray us as bad guys. A lot of us don't care but it still stinks.
These types would be a lot easier to ignore if there weren't so many of them in politics. :)

Joe

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Mastiff wrote:These types would be a lot easier to ignore if there weren't so many of them in politics. :)

Joe
You got it right. It seems that these types thrive in fields where attention is given to them.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

It is absolutely okay and commended. Knives are man's oldest tool (Adam probably carried an Endura, just kidding ;) ) and God Himself endorsed the production and use of cutting tools in the Old Testament/Hebrew Scriptures and The Lord Jesus Christ told the disciples to purchase a sword (presumably for self-defense purposes) after His departure. Just please don't do what Jehudi did in the Old Testament with his pen-knife. [And it came to pass, that when Jehudi had read three or four leaves, he cut it with the penknife, and cast it into the fire that was on the hearth, until all the roll was consumed in the fire that was on the hearth.
Jeremiah 36:23]

And on top of that, it can and often is very useful. Example: A bundle of new Bibles or literature comes in, and it is bound with packing tape and plastic straps. Instead of fumbling around with scissors or nail clippers, whip out your razor-sharp Spyderco and have it open in a cinch :)

diny123

Post by diny123 »

Actually..Can someone tell me what is the purpose of carrying a knife to the church? I seriously do not have any idea of this..In face hearing for the first time..
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

diny123 wrote:Actually..Can someone tell me what is the purpose of carrying a knife to the church? I seriously do not have any idea of this..In face hearing for the first time..
What purpose does a knife serve everywhere else?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Actually..Can someone tell me what is the purpose of carrying a knife to the church? I seriously do not have any idea of this..In face hearing for the first time..
Same purpose as carrying a knife anywhere else you carry one. Why would there be any issue with carrying a pocket knife to church? What would be the basis for the "don't take a knife to church" argument? Is it based in something traditional? These are strange times we are living in, but I don't just assume it's just the "knives are bad" kneejerk stuff.

shunsui

Post by shunsui »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Just please don't do what Jehudi did in the Old Testament with his pen-knife. [And it came to pass, that when Jehudi had read three or four leaves, he cut it with the penknife, and cast it into the fire that was on the hearth, until all the roll was consumed in the fire that was on the hearth.
Jeremiah 36:23]
FWIW Apparently the "he" refers to the king and not Jehudi in many translations of that passage.

http://biblehub.com/jeremiah/36-23.htm

When the nuns used to line us up and march us into church, most of the class was packing. ;)