Is it right to carry knives in church?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

Knives, guns, Tazer, OC spray....what's the problem? :D
There's been some heinous attacks in Christian churces, synagogues and even the Sikh Gurdwara most recently in Wisconsin.

Always be prepared. ;)
notos&w

Post by notos&w »

Yes
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I'm Catholic and have carried a knife in my pocket since I was 6 so I've carried a knife to Mass for 60 years. I can't even imagine going out of the house without my knife. I have always wondered what type of knife that Jesus and the apostles carried - everyone had some type of utility knife back then.
** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **
connor

Post by connor »

I'm an agnostic and I'm pretty sure I only need about 10 minutes with a searchable bible on a computer to find a quote why it is a mortal sin to bring a knife into a church (or anywhere else) and another quote that commands you to carry your tool(s) everywhere, so ...
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I'm not a church-goer, unless I get invited to a wedding, christening or funeral. But my gut feelings are that you shouldn't carry a "weapon" in church but a knife isn't a weapon per-se ... it is a tool. Guns, swords or articles made or adapted specifically to cause injury should be left at the door.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Deacon wrote:Some would say Luke 22:36 supports it.
You have a verse against drums? We had drama once about that :p

Context weighs heavily into such a situation. Even churches of the same religion vary drastically as do members. Unlike movie theaters and schools I don't recall many anti-weapon policies in the bylaws of mine growing up but also didn't read much into it.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm an agnostic and I'm pretty sure I only need about 10 minutes with a searchable bible on a computer to find at least three quotes why it is a mortal sin to bring a knife into a church (or anywhere else) and another three quotes that command you to carry your tool(s) everywhere, so ...
?

Don't know much about religion eh?

My opinion is there are no church laws, canons or gospel that discourage the carry of a pocket knife. Some modern churches may make them into gun free or weapon free zones but that is the people running the church, and leasing or owning the property. They have the same rights as private owners or businesses as far as these things are concerned but it has nothing to do with religion.It's just their opinion about making themselves and their members feel safe, whether it's an illusion or not. Some churches actively encourage or designate some members to be armed to respond to threats and there has been some success with that. http://articles.cnn.com/2007-12-10/us/c ... s?_s=PM:US

Posts like the one above by Connor do nothing but confuse the issue while attempting to be witty to cover up a real lack of knowledge. Ignore those unless that's your thing. As to why people with no clue feel the need to contribute drivel Is beyond me. Perhaps I may be the one that needs a searchable bible instead of the regular one I have had for 45 or so years.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
paladin

Post by paladin »

Carry my Kiwi every worship service I attend...I just realized that I mostly take for granted that I'm NEVER without a blade on any occassion when not prohibited law. A fixed blade belt knife might distract some from concentrating on study & worship...but IMHO 98% of Sal's offerings would fit in seamlessly with services where I attend.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I actually can't think of a single circumstance where you would not potentially need a knife, unless you have a servant who never leaves your side catering to your every need, and he has a knife. Except that something might happen to him, he could get kidnapped, and then at that moment your tie gets stuck in an elevator. Bam! You're dead! Only for lack of a knife.
As long as you are alive I see no reason not to have a knife with you.
connor

Post by connor »

The Mastiff wrote:My opinion is there are no church laws, canons or gospel that discourage the carry of a pocket knife.
023:014 Then Jehoiada the priest brought out the captains of hundreds
that were set over the host, and said unto them, Have her
forth of the ranges: and whoso followeth her, let him be slain
with the sword. For the priest said, Slay her not in the house
of the LORD.

Well, at least this quote insinuates that you shouldn't kill people with a sword inside a church. I'm sure I could find more quotes, if I really wanted to.
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I always do. Usually I carry my T-Mag, but today the Zulu is in my church slacks. Last week was my CF Dodo. Sometimes my CF Sage. I tend to carry my dressier knives on Sunday while at church.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
connor

Post by connor »

The Mastiff wrote:Don't know much about religion eh?
I know enough to prefer science logic and philosophical schools of thought over any religion.

You may have noticed the quote in my signature, this is one of the very few (if not the only) "rule" necessary that would make a near perfect society, if everyone would decide to live by it.
So, what would happen if we apply Kant's categorical imperative to the problem at hand?
"Everyone should carry a knife at all times because it's one of the most useful tools ever invented and you never know when you might need it."
I can't find much wrong about this statement.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I carry a knife in multiple pockets and I also carry my Kahr .45 just like Monday, Tuesday, etc. I know how the law reads, but I always carry my tools becase you never know when you will need one of them.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
golddot370

Post by golddot370 »

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
International Order Of The SpyderEdge
Spydiefanatic #370
Emersonaholic #370
Team KillboX #370
Proud member of the N.R.A
'MAY GOD HAVE MERCY UPON MY ENEMIES, BECAUSE I WON'T.'
General George S. Patton
Luke 22:36
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I carry at church. Once I even used my knife(Chaparral). As a minister of Holy Communion, a lady we work with couldn't open a package of Communion wafers before Mass, :) out comes the Chap.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
jumbo

Post by jumbo »

I say it's a matter of conscience, and if it's a struggle, ask your priest. Personally I don't even carry a phone to church. I find it distracting even having in my pocket. that's just me!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

connor wrote:I'm an agnostic and I'm pretty sure I only need about 10 minutes with a searchable bible on a computer to find a quote why it is a mortal sin to bring a knife into a church
Go ahead and find it, I would like to see it. I've read the entire bible and don't remember seeing anything like that, but I would like to see it if it is there.

Of course the justification for buying a knife ("sword") is pretty clear. We could possibly interpret it as "and he that hath no assault weapon" ... "and buy one", since in those days the sword was their version of assault weapon.

Don't misunderstand this to mean that we should all buy swords and go around looking for people to attack with them, because the bible (Matthew 26:52) also says "for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword".

I see no reason not to carry a knife into church for your normal carry, or a gun for self defense, where each is legal.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

know enough to prefer science logic and philosophical schools of thought over any religion.
I don't have a problem in the world with this, if it was even my business, which it isn't. :)

What gets me is you trying to talk about things you have no knowledge of as if you did. If it was a joke please include that it was a joke in there to avoid encounters such as this. That's my opinion anyway.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It doesn't have to be in a book of law or religion for someone to have a problem with it. Often this can produce in real consequences despite on paper you doing nothing wrong. A majority of court cases and religious/political agendas (pick one) have been constructed in a similar way.

It doesn't take an atheist, agnostic, or a member of the clergy to understand this rudimentary law of life. :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not a religious type, but I have a lot of respect for *most* who are (I'll just leave it at that and save the religious debate for another thread ;) ). That said, I think it really depends on what you carry and how you carry it. If you're hanging out with a Warrior strapped to your hip, then that's ridiculous. If nothing else I think just showing respect and keeping whatever you carry thoroughly concealed is the right thing to do regardless of what you have on you.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David