Is it right to carry knives in church?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kbrouwer

Is it right to carry knives in church?

Post by kbrouwer »

I'm Catholic and go to church on Sundays. I'm actually an alter server. I usually take my knives out of my pockets and put them in my drawer before church. I'm not looking to get all into biblical philosophy and everything, just some yes's and no's. Do you think it's right to carry a knife in church?
:spyder: :spyder: Kirk Brouwer :spyder: :spyder:
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

kbrouwer wrote:I'm Catholic and go to church on Sundays. I'm actually an alter server. I usually take my knives out of my pockets and put them in my drawer before church. I'm not looking to get all into biblical philosophy and everything, just some yes's and no's. Do you think it's right to carry a knife in church?
Yes.

While not a catholic church, my next door neighbor is a minister and he always has a traditional case in his pocket. He often has a small revolver on him as well.

This should probably be in the Off-Topic forum.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

kbrouwer wrote:I'm Catholic and go to church on Sundays. I'm actually an alter server. I usually take my knives out of my pockets and put them in my drawer before church. I'm not looking to get all into biblical philosophy and everything, just some yes's and no's. Do you think it's right to carry a knife in church?
I see no problem with it, honestly. I am Greek Orthodox and do not feel like I am violating any sacrament or other law of the church when I carry a knife in my slacks. I usually just carry a Vic Cadet (due to its slim size) but I have also carried a Sage on Sundays, too. I feel it comes down to how you view and use your knife. For me, my knives are a tool first and weapon only as a last resort.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

D1omedes wrote:I feel it comes down to how you view and use your knife. For me, my knives are a tool first and weapon only as a last resort.
This. What do you use your knife for? I carry mine in church, just as I carry a pen in church; they are both tools that I use frequently. I wouldn't carry a weapon in church, although I have more than a few friends who do (and they even have special, usually beautifully designed, guns that they only take to church or weddings!!).

So it's how you feel about having a weapon in a sanctified place, and whether or not you consider your knife a weapon.
Mc556

Post by Mc556 »

I carry a M&P 9mm 4.25 and lately my Southard. ( pistol with the church's permission)
I think you just have to judge for yourself if its appropriate or not.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Sure, it's fine.
:bug-red-white
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

If I can legally carry I do.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Honestly, the question never occurred to me. Turn it around, though: if it isn't right to carry a knife in church, why would it ever be right to carry one anywhere? I guess I don't expect different behavior from myself or others in church than anywhere else.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

There is ONLY ONE reason that it would be wrong to carry a normal size pocket knife in most Christian churches in the United States. Depending on the typical lifestyle of the community some hunting knives are ok too. Of course this depends on why you go to church. The only reason I think it would be wrong is if there was a biblical scripture something like "It is wrong to carry a pocket knife during church survices". If the bible (God) doesn't say there is anything is wrong with it he probably doesn't care. I assume you are concerned with God's opinion and not other people. But, I'm sure you don't want to upset anyone by doing something so easily lived without.

There is a story in the new testament where I think Jesus "purged", "cleansed" all meats making it ok to eat the meats that were unlawful to eat by old testament laws. But, Paul (I think) goes on to say that even though Jesus cleansed the food, making it ok to eat it, if there is someone who doesn't know this and sees you eat some he will think you were sinning intentionally and you shouldn't do that. Your example is more important than the food. Therefore educate the guy, then eat the steak.

If you (anyone) hasn't noticed the bible seems to say a lot of things but then covers the subject with "but if's". That is why it's not a good idea to discuss this stuff on inet groups. It may start a digital holy war. :) I can enjoy these discussions but some get MAD if you don't agree with them. :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Yes, the :) is key! :spyder:
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

i have been to church 4 times since june 2000, and i believe i carried a pocket knife on all the occations.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It depends on your church and who becomes offended. There isn't any scripture to support or refute it but that won't stop a zealot on a mission to make someone's life difficult.

I wouldn't bring it up much. The potential downfall FAR outweighs the chance of cutlery camaraderie.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Ever hear the phrase "Church-going knife"? Just like you dress up nicer for church, the same goes for your knife. Instead of carrying an Endura or Manix you swap them out for a fancy handled Kopa or maybe the Damascus Delica. While there are no rules stating what a Church-going knife is, I always took it to be a bit smaller & prettier to look at than your normal EDC knife.

Catholic here too, and as an Altar Boy in my younger days I always had an old Case or Schrade slipjoint in my pocket. As an adult now, married to a Methodist (Catholic-lite :) ) I have carried Spydercos, Kershaws, and various other knives when I do go to church.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Why whatsoever would it be wrong?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Holland

Post by Holland »

ive only been to church 3 times in my life (2 funerals and a baptist ceremony) so im not speaking by experience, but lots of people use the term "church knife" so i would assume it isnt a problem. Maybe if it bothers you, you shouldn't
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I carry to mass all the time....I carry everyday. I only don't carry if I've been asked not to....there's a sign....or I have to pass through a metal detector. Knife = life....rinse and repeat.
Getting my :bug-red on!!!!

:usflag
chukar8

Post by chukar8 »

Depends on what the intent is in carrying? If your knife is a tool then I would say sure, if it is carried as a weapon then it would seem to me to be inappropriate. JMO
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:It depends on your church and who becomes offended. There isn't any scripture to support or refute it but that won't stop a zealot on a mission to make someone's life difficult.

I wouldn't bring it up much. The potential downfall FAR outweighs the chance of cutlery camaraderie.
Some would say Luke 22:36 supports it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chukar8

Post by chukar8 »

The Deacon wrote:Some would say Luke 22:36 supports it.
Good one
Matt 26: 51,52 = for the right reasons. he he :)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Paul, there is also Luke 22:38 ... ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto