Knife-BST Changes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Vincent

Knife-BST Changes

Post by Vincent »

Hello Everybody,

As many have probably noticed I have not been around much. I do keep up on the forums but don't post much. I have been very busy these days with a new job. Everything is going great but there are some changes that will be made for the betterment of Knife-bst.

Knife-bst.com has grown a lot in the past years. We have ~800 users. We have a few frequent users and some who come and go. The site has been very useful to many people. Knife-bst started as a way for people to buy, sell and trades knives for free. It was a success at that. The community was always great and as I said in the email I sent out I can't think of a time we really faced any type of use misuse. The protections we put in place such as being a confirmed spyderco forum user really did work. It speaks to how great this community really is.

It is my wish that the site keeps going. Mike Smith (smikesmith3) from spydietalk has reached out to me and has offered to keep the idea going. He has shown great enthusiasm for the site and I am sure he will do a great job. He has administrated his own site for many years and is a respected dealer in the community. Mike will take over control of the domain and site in the coming days. Due to concerns about user data and the version of phpbb used we will be starting fresh. On 1/31/2013 Knife-bst.com will go down as the service contract for hosting ends that day. Mike is working on getting a new site up and running. We understand that it's not an ideal solution but there is no real way we can get confirmation from 800 users that they are OK with the data being handed over. We would rather play it safe and respect all users data in a conservative manner. The new site will take some work to get going but it will be a better site in the long run. The domain changes will occur on Thursday and the new site will follow.

Thank you to everybody for all of the support over the years. Keep tuned to this thread for updates and I hope to see you on the new forum.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Thanks, Vincent for all your hard work. And Mike - thanks for picking up the mantle!

TedP
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thx guys!! Awesome job and see you on the new forum :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Great job guys and thanks Mike!
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

FYI: This is slowly coming online right now. Feel free to send feedback. There are still some tweaks being made so if you see something wrong let me know. And really this was a no brainer. It was one of the first sites I ever went to when I realized I had to pay 25 bucks over at bladeforums. Glad I can keep it going.

Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I wasn't a steel snob until I met CTS-XHP."
Spyderco Dealer
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Do we need to re register with our usernames etc? It says I do not exist lol
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Nice to have it back, great job!
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

spyderHS08 wrote:Do we need to re register with our usernames etc? It says I do not exist lol
Yep, I don't exist too according to the site. :)

Anything I can do about it?
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

spyderHS08 wrote:Do we need to re register with our usernames etc? It says I do not exist lol
chuck_roxas45 wrote:Yep, I don't exist too according to the site. :)

Anything I can do about it?
Vincent wrote:...Everything is going great but there are some changes that will be made for the betterment of Knife-bst.

...Due to concerns about user data and the version of phpbb used we will be starting fresh... We understand that it's not an ideal solution but there is no real way we can get confirmation from 800 users that they are OK with the data being handed over. We would rather play it safe and respect all users data in a conservative manner. The new site will take some work to get going but it will be a better site in the long run...
The underlined part of Vincent's post lead me to believe we will need to recreate our accounts and any listings, but like you guys I'm not 100% sure.
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

Pinetreebbs wrote:The underlined part of Vincent's post lead me to believe we will need to recreate our accounts and any listings, but like you guys I'm not 100% sure.
Hey all, sadly we did have to do it that way. Vincent wanted to make sure legally everything was clear to transfer the 'data'. In the end we just decided it would be less of a headache to start fresh. I know this may be a pain but really it is the best solution overall.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spyderco Dealer
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

Yes, sorry!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spyderco Dealer
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I just registered - looks great guys!

TedP
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

phillipsted wrote:I just registered - looks great guys!

TedP
Thanks philipsted! Glad to you have you over there!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spyderco Dealer
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Pinetreebbs wrote:The underlined part of Vincent's post lead me to believe we will need to recreate our accounts and any listings, but like you guys I'm not 100% sure.
smikesmith3 wrote:Hey all, sadly we did have to do it that way. Vincent wanted to make sure legally everything was clear to transfer the 'data'. In the end we just decided it would be less of a headache to start fresh. I know this may be a pain but really it is the best solution overall.
Oh ok, thanks, just wanted to know how to fix it. :D

Edited: Registered. :D
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Oh ok, thanks, just wanted to know how to fix it. :D

Edited: Registered. :D
Glad to have you there! Thanks!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spyderco Dealer
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

smikesmith3 wrote:Hey all, sadly we did have to do it that way. Vincent wanted to make sure legally everything was clear to transfer the 'data'. In the end we just decided it would be less of a headache to start fresh. I know this may be a pain but really it is the best solution overall.
No problem, I signed up and make a post already, thanks much for taking this on.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

IG-88 wrote:Registered :) Waiting on admin approval :)
All good to go! Thanks IG-88!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Spyderco Dealer
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

smikesmith3 wrote:Glad to have you there! Thanks!!!
No, it's thank YOU Mike!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Registered and on standby.

Thanks Mike.
Come Join Us Click Here