Will America Collapse like some claim? Why I do not think so.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Will America Collapse like some claim? Why I do not think so.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

There are so many internet sites and books claiming America is due for an imminent collapse, that soon things will be like the "Mad Max Scenario": gangs of roving thugs attacking and stealing, starving masses, every man for himself, and all of that. Then there are those who claim that you must put all of whatever money you have into gold as well. But there are some problems with these claims, I will focus on one issue that I believe refutes these Mad Max scenarios: Simply put: Those who are in control and who are rich and powerful have too much at stake for this to happen.

Think about it:
The billionaires and governments do not want to lose their power and wealth. They do not live in a vacuum. Instead, I believe what we are seeing and what we will see is the opposite: Greater centralization, more tyranny, and more control. Not less. Technology is also increasing, so rather than the Mad Max "post apocalpyse" no man's land, I believe we will see more erosion of Constitutional and individual freedoms, such as more attacks against freedom of expression and belief (as long as it is not the freedom of expression and belief that those in power like, then they will allow it, that is how they work), more attacks against owning and carrying guns and knives and other tools, and an increase in advanced surveilliance systems permeating society, in short, George Orwell was right, Big Brother times a billion.

Now, I agree that it is smart and wise to have survival supplies and emergency items on hand, absolutely. I encourage people to be prepared. But the future I believe leans more towards the idea of greater government control, not less.

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I agree that the response to the 9/11 "attack on our freedom", which was to give away a lot of our freedom voluntarily, seems to have endurance. However a look at US history shows that we have been through more difficult times and the overreach was eventually corrected.

I totally disagree on there being any attack on belief, but freedom of expression seems to be eroding.

If you look at the world in troubled times you will see that their most common response to global uncertainty is to move their money into US dollars. I agree that the US is not headed for a collapse.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Read "Harbinger" by Jonathan Cahn. Interesting stuff.

I see one of two paths, you've listed both. Neither I desire.

A return the the ideals of Freedom AND Greatness will be a long and painful journey, IMO. I sincerely hope there's an easier path someone smarter than I am can figure out.

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Excuse my forwardness but it seems you have been on a roll making volatile threads as of lately. This one specifically is swimming with political undertones and a train wreck waiting to happen.

While I'm sure you have the best intentions it might be wise to find a forum for such posts that doesn't have a blatant "anti-politics/religion" policy. Then you will get honest feedback instead of the PG rated version.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I agree with Blake. O.P. should not be encouraged to continue by responding. He's looking for controversy and IMO doing this at the least moderated time of the year isn't coincidence.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Absolutely it will, just hopefully not in our life times. It's inevitable and a world government will one day be.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well the good news is, if it does come down to this, I'll have a knife that I can pound through a car door hard enough to kill the roving gangs of wild bears that are destroying the country.

Sorry, just trying to sum up all my answers for these crazy threads into one reply.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:Well the good news is, if it does come down to this, I'll have a knife that I can pound through a car door hard enough to kill the roving gangs of wild bears that are destroying the country.
So, exactly what kind of car does a bear drive?

An SUV. Slow Ursan Vehicle ;)

Ken
玉鋼
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

kbuzbee wrote:So, exactly what kind of car does a bear drive?

Ken
Can't speak for other bears, but my Bear prefers not to drive. He'd rather be chauffeured around in a Toyota Corolla

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kbuzbee wrote:So, exactly what kind of car does a bear drive?

Ken
This:

Just imagine a Grizzly bear behind the wheel of that thing. If you don't pee in your pants at the mere thought of that, then you're more man than me because I just peed in mine typing this.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:Well the good news is, if it does come down to this, I'll have a knife that I can pound through a car door hard enough to kill the roving gangs of wild bears that are destroying the country.

Sorry, just trying to sum up all my answers for these crazy threads into one reply.
That's important Evil because you may have to survive only on meat while the vegetarians all die off in the post-bearopocalypse. ;)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Evil D wrote:This:

Just imagine a Grizzly bear behind the wheel of that thing. If you don't pee in your pants at the mere thought of that, then you're more man than me because I just peed in mine typing this.
Photoshop a grizzly into that car and I guarantee you'll see it on the Colbert Report.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sequimite wrote:Photoshop a grizzly into that car and I guarantee you'll see it on the Colbert Report.

Laugh all you want but when you see two pissed off grizzlies hanging out the windows, chasing you down the highway to kill you and steel your gas, you'll remember this thread and wish you took me seriously. :cool:

~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yess! Bear Max, the Road Grizzly :)
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm glad to see niether car was filled with Pedobears. They must not be cruising around the middle schools.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
araneae

Post by araneae »

Evil D wrote:Laugh all you want but when you see two pissed off grizzlies hanging out the windows, chasing you down the highway to kill you and steel your gas, you'll remember this thread and wish you took me seriously. :cool:

Thanks David. :D
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

want a real scary thought-

what if the bear was trained by chuck norris- think about that