when will the ammo hysteria end?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

kbuzbee wrote:Weird. I'd send it back! Getting mis-fired rounds and random calibres can't be right.....

Ken
It was sent to us for disposal.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Sithus1966 wrote:It was sent to us for disposal.
I kinda figured. Just kidding. ;)

Ken
玉鋼
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Ammo is coming down and getting easier to find. My father in law got me a 50 round box of Blazer "brass" 115gr 9mm for $17.50 at Dicks Sporting Goods today. I last paid $25 for a 50 round box of Federal 115gr.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Just bought some 22 LR for $2.79 here in town at a local gun shop, so it's happening finally. Once the Feds have stocked up, they will start shipping to Syria and things will change again. Buy when you can at a decent price.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

enduraguy wrote:Ammo is coming down and getting easier to find. My father in law got me a 50 round box of Blazer "brass" 115gr 9mm for $17.50 at Dicks Sporting Goods today. I last paid $25 for a 50 round box of Federal 115gr.
Wow. That's STILL very expensive.

I was among those that saw this coming years ago. Accordingly, I regularly bought ammo for the last 4 years, or so. When I saw deals online, I pounced. The last time I bought ammo was before the Sandy Hook-induced frenzy. On October 30 of last year, I bought 20 boxes of 9-mm FMJ for $9.49 / box. It was CCI Blazer Brass 9mm 124gr FMJ. So, your FIL paid 84% more than I did only 8 months ago.

I've now got enough ammo to last me for years. I'm sitting tight and not buying anything.

My prediction is that the pendulum will swing the other way. Not only will prices "normalize," they will actually go LOWER than they were before. Sound crazy? Stay with me.

Just as many fence-sitters bought guns in the frenzy, literally emptying the stores... they did the same with ammo. Furthermore, the existing gun enthusiasts (caught with their pants down) also bought tons of ammo of of shear panic. Ammo is a durable good. It doesn't spoil or go bad. A lot of people bought ammo that they will either never use, or use very slowly over a long period of time. They won't NEED any more ammo for a LONG TIME. So, demand is about to PLUMMET. And, of course, supplies will increase dramatically.

Ammo companies want to produce and sell ammo. It's what they exist to do. They aren't trying to "keep prices up." The laws of supply and demand supersede conspiracy theories. Demand is about to fall off a cliff. Supplies will start backing up. Ammo companies will want to keep the production lines going, so they will have to sell what's already made. When demand drops, so do prices.

And, that's the other reason I'm sitting tight. When prices go to bargain basement levels, I'll be buying again... even though I won't "need" it.

The old adage rings true: "Buy it cheap, and stack it deep." That's what I did (and will do again). And, I'm so glad!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I don' t think it will end this time. I think the Government is buying up all they can to create such a demand as to drive prices where ammo is prohibitively expense for most people.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I don' t think it will end this time. I think the Government is buying up all they can to create such a demand as to drive prices where ammo is prohibitively expense for most people.
Sorry.... but, that's not even close to being the case. The .gov's contract for FUTURE purchases amounts to 1% of ammo production. And, they haven't even actually BOUGHT it. ONE PERCENT. The current "shortage" is consumer-driven. It's us.

I'm no fan of the .gov in many respects. But, this conspiracy theory is bunk. WE bought all the ammo. We actually took possession of it.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

racer88 wrote:Wow. That's STILL very expensive.

I was among those that saw this coming years ago. Accordingly, I regularly bought ammo for the last 4 years, or so. When I saw deals online, I pounced. The last time I bought ammo was before the Sandy Hook-induced frenzy. On October 30 of last year, I bought 20 boxes of 9-mm FMJ for $9.49 / box. It was CCI Blazer Brass 9mm 124gr FMJ. So, your FIL paid 84% more than I did only 8 months ago.

I've now got enough ammo to last me for years. I'm sitting tight and not buying anything.

My prediction is that the pendulum will swing the other way. Not only will prices "normalize," they will actually go LOWER than they were before. Sound crazy? Stay with me.

Just as many fence-sitters bought guns in the frenzy, literally emptying the stores... they did the same with ammo. Furthermore, the existing gun enthusiasts (caught with their pants down) also bought tons of ammo of of shear panic. Ammo is a durable good. It doesn't spoil or go bad. A lot of people bought ammo that they will either never use, or use very slowly over a long period of time. They won't NEED any more ammo for a LONG TIME. So, demand is about to PLUMMET. And, of course, supplies will increase dramatically.

Ammo companies want to produce and sell ammo. It's what they exist to do. They aren't trying to "keep prices up." The laws of supply and demand supersede conspiracy theories. Demand is about to fall off a cliff. Supplies will start backing up. Ammo companies will want to keep the production lines going, so they will have to sell what's already made. When demand drops, so do prices.

And, that's the other reason I'm sitting tight. When prices go to bargain basement levels, I'll be buying again... even though I won't "need" it.

The old adage rings true: "Buy it cheap, and stack it deep." That's what I did (and will do again). And, I'm so glad!
You're most likely right and I WILL be ready!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

racer88 wrote:Sorry.... but, that's not even close to being the case. The .gov's contract for FUTURE purchases amounts to 1% of ammo production. And, they haven't even actually BOUGHT it. ONE PERCENT. The current "shortage" is consumer-driven. It's us.

I'm no fan of the .gov in many respects. But, this conspiracy theory is bunk. WE bought all the ammo. We actually took possession of it.
+1

And when you do the math the amount being bought for future use is enough to let each federal agent fire 100 practice rounds every 2 1/2 weeks.

Hysterical buying = product shortages
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

12ga.. BUY .12ga.. Cant beat a shot gun in MOST situtions... I did say most now!! LOL!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

jmh58 wrote:12ga.. BUY .12ga.. Cant beat a shot gun in MOST situtions... I did say most now!! LOL!! John
Right. ;) Or 7mm mag will work too. For some reason, the stores around here have no shortage of 7 mm mag. Not too surprising, though, seeing that you can't hunt ANYTHING with that particular caliber around here. :rolleyes:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Man, I'm glad I decided to wait for this hysteria to end. To be honest, I was almost caught up in it myself and was seriously planning on purchasing a firearm and ammo. I then came to the conclusion that it was just not wise to throw all that cash on that right now. Now that emotions have calmed a bit, it's pretty obvious that racer's breakdown is correct.

By the time that ammo prices and firearm prices have dropped again, I'll be ready to make my purchase. This hysteria makes you wonder just how many Americans actually stayed awake during economics class. :p
racer88

Post by racer88 »

A part of me understands the hysteria. The possibility of the .gov infringing upon our rights seemed VERY real to many people. Heck... look at what's happening in some states. Some states are effectively banning guns.

Fortunately, I live in a very 2A-friendly state. And, fortunately, I bought it cheap and stacked it deep before this predictable attempted gun-grab happened.

But, I'm very disappointed in how many states are handling this. As a red-blooded American Constitutionalist, I have vowed to never set foot in those states again... Nor, will I spend money with companies based in those states, if I can help it. The states that have made my s**t-list are: NY, CA, IL, MD, NJ, CO, CT. I'm sure more will join that list.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Just found a decent deal at a local store this afternoon, actually not too bad at all. I ended up getting 250 rounds of 5.56, 3 p-mags & an ammo can for $170.00, so prices are still coming down and supplies are finally increasing. They also had a decent selection of S&W, H&K, Ruger & FN in new handguns and had some long guns as well. The market is finally stabilizing, thankfully.

This & the 22's from yesterday are the first I've bought since last year's madness began. Nice to be able to top off a few rounds now and do it locally for a change.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I saw on the News and then online where the DHS bought 1.6 billion rounds and I think that would be a little more than 1% of production. So it would be no surprise then that 9mm, 40, 357 sig.,45, 223 and 308 the very rounds mentioned in the articles are the very rounds that are almost non existant. Sure you can find all the 243, 270, 30-06, 7mm and 300 magnum you want because those are the rounds the Government doesn't use.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I saw on the News and then online where the DHS bought 1.6 billion rounds and I think that would be a little more than 1% of production. So it would be no surprise then that 9mm, 40, 357 sig.,45, 223 and 308 the very rounds mentioned in the articles are the very rounds that are almost non existant. Sure you can find all the 243, 270, 30-06, 7mm and 300 magnum you want because those are the rounds the Government doesn't use.
LOL... Ummm... 243, 270, 30-06, 7-mm, and 300 Mag are calibers that are very small part of the civilian marketplace demand. On the other hand, 9-mm, .40, .45, .223, and .308 are... BY FAR... the most popular calibers among civilians. I think 9-mm is THE most popular among civilians and therefore the most scarce.

Again... the DHS did NOT BUY 1.6 billion rounds. They signed CONTRACTS to buy ammo at a certain price IN THE FUTURE, over several years. They have not taken possession of the 1.6 billion rounds. However, WE CIVILIANS did, in fact, buy up (and take actual possession of) all the ammo.

We bought it all. WE DID. And, we're still doing it, though the demand is beginning to wane.
BAL

Post by BAL »

jmh58 wrote:12ga.. BUY .12ga.. Cant beat a shot gun in MOST situtions... I did say most now!! LOL!! John
Yeah, but the barrel sticks out of the bottom of my shirt when I am walking around.
And the Butt stock prints under the arms.