Knives on boats/ships?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jazz

Knives on boats/ships?

Post by Jazz »

I'm going on a river cruise this year from Switzerland to Amsterdam, and am wondering if anyone knows if you can carry knives on cruise ships or, in this case a river cruise ship. Also, does anyone know the carry laws for Netherlands, Germany, France, and Switzerland? One more question - I've never been on a large plane before, so how do you carry your knives in baggage? Do you have to tell them there's a knife in your baggage or not? Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

- best wishes, Jazz.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i think you only have to tell them if there is a firearm in your luggage. As far as a knife i would hide it/them in your luggage. If there was a way to secure them to the inside of the luggage that would be even better.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would probably get like an Opinel # 2 for $8 or a Leatherman Style PS for $20. That way you can willingly hand the folder to someone if they have a problem or explain the multi-tool is TSA compliant (and ultimately give it way if pushed).

I would hate to lose something worth more than about $20. I mean...that would piss me off too just not as much as something Spyderco.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I agree with Blerv, Pack a "throw away" knife as I call it. I did this on my last vacation as I wasn't sure of laws/rules and ended up having to forfeit it at a museum we were at one day. I was so glad it wasnt a spydie.
-John
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I carry knives on almost every plane trip I make. Normally I slip them inside a pair of socks, insert the socks into my packed shoes, then stow the shoes inside a shoe bag. Security folks can get to them if they need to, but it would be too much work for a thief to find...

And no, you don't have to declare cutlery or other tools that you pack in your checked luggage. In the U.S., the Transportation Security Administration publishes a detailed list of prohibited or restricted items on their web site - they list the obvious stuff, illegal drugs, flammables, explosives, etc. You can find it here. I'm sure Canada has something similar.

The river cruise sounds really interesting! When we were in Netherlands and Germany a couple of years ago, we saw the river cruise boats plying the Rhine and talked about taking one of these cruises ourselves...

TedP
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I think the Netherlands has some very restrictive laws, maybe someone from there can confirm that. I think Germany has some, but you can have small fixed blades. I can't cite sources, so double check.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks, guys. I guess I won't waste money on a Pingo, in case I lose it. A Swiss Army should be safe, eh? I should leave it on the boat and not carry in cities? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't get out much - instead of jet lag, I get shoe lag.

- best wishes, Jazz.
utor

Post by utor »

in germany you are on the save side with a ukpk, a pingo, an urban or a squeak out of spydercos choice. :spyder:

every other nonlocking or not one-hand opening knive shouldn`t give you any trouble either. size
restrictions are 12 cm but only for fixed knives, for folders there aren`t any restrictions in size strangely.

so far about the rules here, of cause the interpretation of the rules can differ widly and if you wanna be
sure not having to discuss something then take a sak, opinel or some other classic two-hander.

:rolleyes:
have phun!
utor