Multi=Tools

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SAK anyone?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:David, have you ever tried the Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit X? I don't own one, but have used a friend's a time or two and the driver sets are nice and the scissors are beefier than those found on the Leatherman tools. See HERE

I was just looking at those last night and I think I'll probably look into buying one soon.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

SOG PowerLock here. I carry it pretty often. Like a pocket knife it's amazing how often I use it. Mainly for the pliers but other tools come in handy also. I use the screwdrivers for light prying. As said earlier you can replace the individual tools yourself. I have done this a few times and now have what I like in my tool. I also have a few other tools that I have tried in the PL and have replaced them so they are just laying around. I'm not a big fan of SOG knives but I think their multi-tools are about as good as they come. Leatherman tools, Gerber, and some others are great but I prefer SOG's selection and design.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:David, have you ever tried the Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit X? I don't own one, but have used a friend's a time or two and the driver sets are nice and the scissors are beefier than those found on the Leatherman tools.
I agree with "xceptnl" 100%. I've had a Victorinox "SWISS TOOL" as a user multi-tool for almost 6 years now and it's worked great all the times I've used it. I actually find all the tools on the Victorinox SWISS TOOL to be real functional/useful tools and not just some dime store trinkets that just look cool.

I've checked out many of the multi-tools out there on the open market and so far Victorinox leads the way for me. Now I do have 2 of the original "Spyderco Spyderench" multi-tools and I love them and won't part with them and I've even used one of them on occasion but the Victorinox SWISS TOOL has proven to me to be a very high quality and useful multi-tool.

I'm currently at this time checking out all of the newer multi-tools that Victorinox has for sale because I've checked out SOG, Gerber, Buck and Leatherman and none of them stack to up to what Victorinox has. I've said for years that for the money you spend it's hard to beat the overall quality of anything you buy from Victorinox.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Evil D wrote:
As for Leatherman, I don't think they make a bad tool, they're all fantastic. My problem is that I can't seem to find all the tools I want in one multi tool. I have to have both kinds of screwdrivers (and i really dislike the bits), scissors, a file, and a wood saw. That doesn't sound like a lot to ask for, but you'd be surprised. I'm not a big fan of Leatherman's scissors though, they're tiny and weak IMO. [/URL]
Dude you hate the Leatherman for everything I like it for, proof positive we all have different needs. lol. I use my scissors and bit screwdriver the most on my Leatherman and they've both held up well. For the scissors I use it daily for cutting plastic tubes I use and the screwdriver I use constantly since I sell cars and need to get the plates on and off them. I should try out some other things but I find a brand and tend to stick with it.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FroOchie wrote:Dude you hate the Leatherman for everything I like it for, proof positive we all have different needs. lol. I use my scissors and bit screwdriver the most on my Leatherman and they've both held up well. For the scissors I use it daily for cutting plastic tubes I use and the screwdriver I use constantly since I sell cars and need to get the plates on and off them. I should try out some other things but I find a brand and tend to stick with it.
I just don't like the whole proprietary flat bit crap they use. Sure, you can easily grind down any bit to make it fit, but i hate that i have to. Then the scissors...yeah they work, but like i said put them up next to the SOG scissors and it's like comparing a Military to a Ladybug. You could probably cut carpet with the SOG scissors. The main thing i don't like about the screwdriver bits is they don't have any reach...haven't you ever tried to get to a screw that was deeper than the bit is long, and the housing part that the bit goes into is too fat to fit into the hole? On the other hand, if you strip the tip out at least you can replace it so they're not all bad, i just wish they had gone with a standard 1/4 inch bit.

Leatherman did just come out with the Rebar, which is a badass multi. It also has replaceable wire cutters, which I previously stated as being mandatory but have lived without. I may look into one of those also, but I have a feeling i'm likely going to get a Swiss Tool of some sort.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One thing i'd like to point out about the SOG Powerlock is the opening action vs. all other multi tools on the market. With a Leatherman, you have that stiff/clumpy/notchy opening action that almost always takes two hands to open. With the Powerlock, you can flick them open with one hand, sort of like a balisong would open. The advantage here can not be overstated. When you're working and you only have one free hand, this can not be more convenient. This is ultimately the deciding factor in why i bought a Powerlock over another Leatherman. On top of that, the same gear action that allows for smooth and easy opening also allows you to use the tip to pry things open, because unlike a Leatherman you can pull the handles apart with the same amount of force you would use squeezing them together to pry the jaws of the pliers open. The final straw was the fact that the compound gear at the pivot literally doubles your clamping power vs. other pliers.
~David
Dr Hairy

Post by Dr Hairy »

Used to carry an original PST which was too big to pocket with no clip, but have been given a micra, juice something with pliers and now carry a cf skeletool clipped into my jeans with a full set of driver bits in my BOB...which come to think of it also has the old PST and a SAK in it.
Bob2swpa

Post by Bob2swpa »

I carry an SOG power lock edc and I love it that being said I'm looking at purchasing a Leatherman Skeletool evenings and going out.
Spyderfly, Endura4 w Wave, C10PS Endura, Manix2, Centofante 3, Ocelot, Blue Domino, Yojimbo, Earthtone Paramilitary2,Vallotton sub hilt so far : :spyder:
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I carry a Leatherman Juice S2 almost every day, there are a few days when I think I might need a bigger tool and I carry a Leatherman Charge then. I also bought a Leatherman Skeletool as an experiment to carry a tool and folding knife in one, but for a person that has lots of folding knives to choose from the Skeletool gets left out a lot.

The Juice is a weight, size and shape that I can put in my pocket and not notice. Anything heavier would be more noticeable. The Charge is a lot larger and heavier but I carry it as much with the pocket clip as just in my pocket and with the pocket clip the size and weight is not noticeable.

I don't use my tools very much but I carry them for the just in case. However I've been out in the middle of nowhere on 2 separate occasions when I needed my old Leatherman PST to fix our vehicle so we could get back into town.

I also carry the Leatherman PST when I travel. I carry it for its tools but also because I might go to jurisdictions where the knife laws are restrictive. I figure that the old style Leatherman would have the biggest chance of being seen more as a tool than as a weapon.

Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I carry the Leatherman Super Tool 200, Leatherman Tool Adapter, and the Leatherman Micra as my daily multi-tool EDCs.

When I need to carry an extra multi-tool, I rotate between the Leatherman Super Tool 300 and the Leatherman Pulse.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I have several, 6 total, one Vic and 5 Leatherman. While at work I have a Supertool 200 and on my go to work jeans I have the new Rebar, love the Rebar. On my regular jeans I have a Surge. I also own a Pulse, Core and Swisstool RS.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Eee

Post by Eee »

I've got a bladeless leatherman fuse. That way I get to choose which other knife I carry too, without any awkward questions from police about why I need two knives.
You are
What you do
When it counts
- The Masao
angusW

Post by angusW »

Victorinox Swisstool Spirit. I carry it in a Skinth Shield that doesn't stick out as much as the Victorinox or a Leatherman pouch. I barely notice it's there.

I also carry a Surge at work in another Skinth. That Skinth is larger so is loaded with more items but it rides very well.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Holland

Post by Holland »

that juice is calling my name
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Holland wrote:that juice is calling my name
It size makes it really handy I have one in my pocket everyday and I don't even notice it's there. Not my picture but you get the idea.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

My edc 'multitool' is a victorinox classic. It's got all the tools I need as a suburbanite. When traveling or on the road, I bring along a Leatherman Pulse. It's got all the tools I've needed so far and is reasonably light. If I were shopping today, I'd consider one of the skeletools by Leatherman. I prefer a modest selection of the ´right´ tools over a ´heavy brick´ that carries all the tool I could imagine to use.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
goodbloke

Post by goodbloke »

I agree Eee,I have the original sog power plier and removed the blade for that reason,most of the time I carry a Vic alox soldier though.
when your back is against the wall sometimes you have to turn around and fight.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Mr Blonde wrote:My edc 'multitool' is a victorinox classic. It's got all the tools I need as a suburbanite. When traveling or on the road, I bring along a Leatherman Pulse. It's got all the tools I've needed so far and is reasonably light. If I were shopping today, I'd consider one of the skeletools by Leatherman. I prefer a modest selection of the ´right´ tools over a ´heavy brick´ that carries all the tool I could imagine to use.
The thing I found with the Skeletool is that when you already carry a knife it really doesn't provide you with much, a pair of pliers, a couple of screw drivers and a bottle opener in a not too compact or light weight package. I find the Juice isn't a bad balance for me, it is more solid than you would think and not very large with a decent variety of tools. Personally I wouldn't go any larger in the juice series than the CS4 or it would get too bulky, smaller if anything. I would have gone to an S2 myself, I just wanted the corkscrew :-)
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Bouncing between the SOG Powerlock, Gerber Diesel, and Leatherman Rebar right now.