Just realized how strange I am

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
egbladesmith

Just realized how strange I am

Post by egbladesmith »

Hey guys, I have been thinking if i was alone on this or not, or if any of you are similar to me.

I am left handed, but i carry my knife on my right side. The strange thing is, i feel more comfortable opening my knife with my right hand, but when ever i cut something, it is always with my left hand. I never really realized that i switch hands to cut. when using my balisong it is in my right hand. I throw knives with my right hand, but throw a baseball left handed lol. My fork is in my left hand, unless I'm using a knife, then my fork goes into my right hand. I shoot a compound bow left handed but i shoot a crossbow and a rifle right handed. You guys still with me? haha. I am also completely ambidextrous when shooting a pistol. Also when metal working, I swing my hammer with my right hand, but depending on what I am shaping, when i need precision and start using my trim hammer, I sometimes switch to my left hand.

I know a lot of people are ambidextrous, but the way that i am just seems really strange. I am just curious if anyone else has similar traits.

Elliot
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

There are some things that I am equally comfortable doing with either hand. I can open and close a knife just as easily with either hand (and I carry the Military on my right side since I don't have a choice), and I play guitar right handed (which to me seems like it should be the left handed way since my left hand is doing the complicated bit of forming chords and doing scales etc). If something needs picking up or done up or whatever and is closer to my right side I will do it right handed.
But more controlled tasks are always done left handed.
On the hunt for...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You may have been born one way and raised another. I was told i was born left handed by a physical therapist because i have almost the same amount of strength in my left hand as my right. He said i was likely born a lefty and raised as a righty. I don't know about that. I can do some things left handed but i can't punch/throw/write/swing left handed worth a crap.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
egbladesmith

Post by egbladesmith »

From what my father tells me, i was born left handed but my mother would always switch the fork on me lol. From how he tells it, he put a stop to it when he was around, saying if i am left handed, let me be. Who knows what she did when he wasn't around though lol.
My one regret in life is that I am not someone else.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Somewhat similar here. I'm right handed, or at least have a right master eye, but I'm somewhat ambidextrous. I carry and use my pocketknives left handed but can use one right handed when that's more convenient. In the kitchen I chop right handed and slice with either hand while paring and pressing food against the blade with my thumb left handed. With machetes and axes I favor the right hand, same with hammers and saws, but can do all those things left handed if that's more convenient. Use rifles, shotguns, and target pistols right handed, but am both faster and more accurate doing quick draw left handed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The latest research that I've read is that people are born either right handed or ambidextrous. Those born ambidextrous may become predominantly right or left handed.

There are a number of lefties in the family, including my daughter. My best friend in my teens, my first cousin, was forced to use his right as a child, but after breaking his right arm began writing with his left. He now can do most things with either hand but only shoots left-handed.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Interesting topic. I'm right handed and also right-eye dominant. About ten years ago, I broke my right hand (or, more specifically, I fractured the fifth metacarpal on my right hand). Because of this, I obviously had to learn very quickly how to use my left hand for all daily tasks (e.g. shaving, writing, typing, eating, etc.). After a few weeks using only my left hand, I was surprised how quickly I was able to adapt. (Please note: my handwriting still looked like crap, but at least it was somewhat legible :o ). At present, I use both my right and left hands to grind blades on my grinder. It took a while to get used to, but I suppose this is probably the only ambidextrous ability that I possess. Out of six children, five of us are naturally right handed, but my youngest brother is left-handed. Go figure.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

That reminds me, I'm trying to become left handed. I'm right handed but left eye dominant. With a rifle, shooting lefty isn't too bad, but when it comes to a pistol, I'm more comfortable shooting right. With a pistol though, I bring the pistol up to my left eye, and it skews the stance a little. The worst is archery. I am much more accurate shooting lefty, but I have no strength so I can't shoot very long. So I'm trying to become a lefty so that my other arm is equally strong and can also pull a bow. Any tips?
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I am right handed and carry my knife in my left front pocket. since getting my Tuff the other day I am debating swapping to the right because the Tuff is definitely the hardest to open that I have. Other than that I do everything righty.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
raven

Post by raven »

I'm actually True Ambi ;) . I can do everything almost equally as well with either hand. Discovered this by accident as a kid when I broke my right wrist and had to use my left hand. Unable to use my right hand, because it was in a cast I just immediately adapted with my left hand with no problem. After that I tried everything left handed and I didn't have any issues. I use to have fun messing with my teachers in school when they would look at me writing, they'd see me using my right hand and then the next time they looked at me I was using my left hand :D .

This ability came in really handy a few years back when I acquired a really bad injury to my right hand and wasn't able to use it well for quite some time.

The one thing I do prefer is to shoot left handed, because I'm left eye dominant, but I don't have issues shooting right handed... I just have to cant my head over to the right :D . This ability also comes in really handy when I teach firearms. Great to know that there are few of us that have this ability. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Much of it has to do with the way that you are taught. The world is predominantly
right handed, so when young and learning, you watch right handed people and
imitate these actions. I would say that most lefties are more ambidextrous
that righties, although it can go both ways.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

EGBladesmith, you are NOT strange! You're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you! :D

Actually, your semi-ambidextrous-ness sounds really cool. I'm strictly a dull righty myself. My kids do different things with each hand.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I consider myself left-handed, but i do many things right-handed, and a few things ambi...

Lefty: write, shoot, eat, shoot pool, archery...

Righty: (or, "Wrongy", for the Deacon) throw, bat, golf...

Most tools I can use ambi, but probably because I used to do car stereo, and under dash stuff was cramped, and forced me to use whichever side wasn't impeded...

I am not a bowler, but I get suckered into going about once a year, and i usually end up switching hands at some point, trying for some kind of improvement, lol
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I'm right-handed; however I can open my knives with either hand in general (although not as smoothly when doing so left handed).

I shoot a rifle left handed. I have "lazy-eye" and my left eye is dominant. When my dad saw me shooting my BB gun right handed as a kid but saw that I was moving my whole head over to get my left eye behind the sights, he taught me to shoot left handed.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I'm a righty. I can do some things with my left, but not write or throw well. My right side is stronger, too.
goodbloke

Post by goodbloke »

I have never really thought about it too much but I do carry my knife in my left pocket though I am right handed.shoot right handed,bow left handed so I'm told and catapult in either hand.my hand writing is bad as it is so left hand would probably be awful. :eek:
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I've learned to open and manipulate knives equally well with both hands, same as shooting either pistols and long guns. Ask me to throw a baseball or write with my left hand though? Fuggedabouit.
Eee

Post by Eee »

I'm a mixture. My Dad is left handed, may mum is ambidextrous with a slight right bias. Apparently I was showing no inclination either way so they pushed me towards right handed- easier in a right handed world. I am mainly right handed but use a felling axe left handed because my dad taught me. I had to learn how to use a bow left handed after a bike accident. The only real problem with the swap was that I am definitely right eyed.
You are
What you do
When it counts
- The Masao