Luxury Watch

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kbrouwer

Luxury Watch

Post by kbrouwer »

I absolutely love Omega watches but not quite $2-5,000 enough (yet.) I'm looking for a good luxury type watch. My dad has an Omega (Constellation, very simple, just date and time) that he doesn't really wear, I'm asking him if we can go to a jeweler and get link removed so it fits me. If we decide not to, I'm looking for a Swiss made watch, preferably a metal band. I like black and blue dials as well. I know it's going to be expensive but I'm still on a budget so if you suggest anything, please make sure it's priced reasonably.

Thanks for your suggestions!
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Whats your budget? I love me some watches... from what you're talking about I'd GREATLY recommend Seiko SNA models. They're aviator watches, come in both black and blue bezels and they're very classy looking. The crystal they use is **** near indestructible and the Japanese movement is some of the best in the world. Retail they're about $400 watches but on eBay you can get them down in the $150 range.

Look up Seiko SNA 411 for example. And make sure you look at a few pics, the depth within the face is beautiful. Much like a Breitling for example.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

FroOchie wrote: Japanese movement is some of the best in the world. .
Even for that price I'd rather a Swiss movement. Why do they call it JAPANESE movement anyway???
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I find it hard to go wrong with Citizen.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

xceptnl wrote:I find it hard to go wrong with Citizen.
I've heard from both extremes of the spectrum about Citizen. I've heard excellent as well as ABSOLUTELY GOD AWFUL things. Citizen is a Japanese watchmaker, I'd honestly rather a Swiss company at least, ideally the timepiece made in Switzerland as well. Notice I did not say DEFERENTIALLY though... I'm open to other things but Swiss is what I'd rather.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

You've heard that about Citizen probably because they run the gamut of ok watches to really nice watches. None of them are crap though by any means. I have a few and love them. If you want a Swiss watch, whats your price range?
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

kbrouwer wrote:I've heard from both extremes of the spectrum about Citizen. I've heard excellent as well as ABSOLUTELY GOD AWFUL things. Citizen is a Japanese watchmaker, I'd honestly rather a Swiss company at least, ideally the timepiece made in Switzerland as well. Notice I did not say DEFERENTIALLY though... I'm open to other things but Swiss is what I'd rather.
Here's the thing . . . Do you want a genuine Swiss-Made timepiece, or just one that under Swiss law meets their ridiculous 51% assembled in the nation legal definition of "Swiss-Made," while containing a ton of Chinese parts? Both types of companies get to, legally speaking, put the words "Swiss-Made" on the dials of their watches. Of course many of the, what I call, "genuine" Swiss-Made brands also use parts originally made in China anyway. So perhaps it's a moot point. Yeah . . . since the quartz invasion of the 1970's, "Swiss-Made" is more about marketing than actual higher standards of quality compared to the Japanese or Germans.

If you're looking for respected brands in the entry-level luxury category ($2,000 or a bit under) check out some of the models offered by Longines or Oris.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

frederique constant ;breitling colt 44 . good luck on the hunt
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

FroOchie wrote: If you want a Swiss watch, whats your price range?
It may seem unrealistic but I'm ideally looking for something in the $1-400 range.
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

Monocrom wrote:Here's the thing . . . Do you want a genuine Swiss-Made timepiece, or just one that under Swiss law meets their ridiculous 51% assembled in the nation legal definition of "Swiss-Made," while containing a ton of Chinese parts? Both types of companies get to, legally speaking, put the words "Swiss-Made" on the dials of their watches. Of course many of the, what I call, "genuine" Swiss-Made brands also use parts originally made in China anyway. So perhaps it's a moot point. Yeah . . . since the quartz invasion of the 1970's, "Swiss-Made" is more about marketing than actual higher standards of quality compared to the Japanese or Germans.

If you're looking for respected brands in the entry-level luxury category ($2,000 or a bit under) check out some of the models offered by Longines or Oris.

Preferrably, I'd like what you're calling "Genuine Swiss Made" every part made in Switzerland.
Mojo51

Post by Mojo51 »

I really like my Bulova watch. I get a lot of compliments it.
Tea Party Patriot and 3% Oath Keeper
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

kbrouwer wrote:It may seem unrealistic but I'm ideally looking for something in the $1-400 range.
For the price range you're going to have to settle somewhere. From all of what you said my best suggestion would be Stuhrling watches. They're Quartz watches so they'll save you money there and technically have Swiss roots but really it's a reborn company. A new company buying an old name. I've handled some of their pieces in person and they're definitely nice looking.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

kbrouwer wrote:Preferrably, I'd like what you're calling "Genuine Swiss Made" every part made in Switzerland.
That will cost you as much as a nice house. And please don't misunderstand, I'm not being even a tiny bit sarcastic. This is the reality of the Swiss watch industry in this modern day & age. (Along with the rest of the industry in other nations.) I was incredibly surprised as **** when I found out. Basically, everything mentioned in my previous post took me over a month of researching before I learned the truth.

Forget luxury. Even when you go up a tier into the ultra High-end brands, and I mean the universally known and respected ones, you're not going to like what you find when you scratch the surface. I recently learned and confirmed that Patek Philippe, a brand far more respected than Rolex among watch collectors, actually uses stamped parts! Not handmade. Not even the majority of the parts used in their movements. Stamped parts. Which would be perfectly fine and even expected in an analog Timex. Even going a bit higher up in tiers, perfectly fine in a Hamilton or Tissot. But when you get to a point where a watch commands the type of asking price that a Patek Philippe does, it's definitely shocking news.

I definitely wish the reality isn't what it is. But the simple truth is that even if you doubled your budget, you still would be several planets away from reaching the goal of a Swiss-Made watch incorporating every part actually made in the nation itself.

If you want to learn more about how the watch industry actually works, especially in Switzerland, stop by the biggest watch forum on the net. Watchuseek.com (WUS). You'll be able to confirm everything I've said, and learn even more. I'll tell you now though . . . You're not going to like what you find.

At the very least (no offense to my fellow members here) you'll be able to get more suggestions from a bigger collection of knowledgeable watch enthusiasts / collectors for good models within your budget.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

FroOchie wrote:For the price range you're going to have to settle somewhere. From all of what you said my best suggestion would be Stuhrling watches. They're Quartz watches so they'll save you money there and technically have Swiss roots but really it's a reborn company. A new company buying an old name. I've handled some of their pieces in person and they're definitely nice looking.
(Emphasis mine).

I wouldn't. Scumbag organization that literally lies to potential customers by actually making up a false history. Both for itself and its so-called accomplishments. It's not even a bit of exaggeration the way most watch brands practice it. Rolex tells everyone how their Explorer model accompanied Sir Hillary on his climb up mount Everest. The implication being that he chose, wore, and was satisfied greatly with a Rolex on his wrist. Not quite though. His Guide wore the Rolex. Hillary himself preferred a Smiths timepiece (British brand). That's what he actually wore on his wrist. And it too survived the climb up mount Everest every bit as the Rolex did. But Rolex excels at marketing.

Those types of examples. However, Stuhrling literally makes $#!% up! I'm not kidding. Just blatant, ridiculous, and very detailed lies about the company history and their so-called achievements. Only other watch brand out there that comes close to doing the same thing, though they don't push it nearly as far, is Invicta. Even with the issues currently facing the watch industry, no; other brands don't pull that sort of absolutely ridiculous B.S.

kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

Monocrom wrote:That will cost you as much as a nice house. And please don't misunderstand, I'm not being even a tiny bit sarcastic. This is the reality of the Swiss watch industry in this modern day & age. (Along with the rest of the industry in other nations.) I was incredibly surprised as **** when I found out. Basically, everything mentioned in my previous post took me over a month of researching before I learned the truth.

Forget luxury. Even when you get up a tier into the ultra High-end brands, and I mean the universally known and respected ones, you're not going to like what you find when you scratch the surface. I recently learned and confirmed that Patek Philippe, a brand far more respected than Rolex among watch collectors, actually uses stamped parts! Not handmade. Not even the majority of the parts used in their movements. Stamped parts. Which would be perfectly fine and even expected in an analog Timex. Even going a bit higher up in tiers, perfectly fine in a Hamilton or Tissot. But when you get to a point where a watch commands the type of asking price that a Patek Philippe does, it's definitely shocking news.

I definitely wish the reality isn't what it is. But the simple truth is that even if you doubled your budget, you still would be several planets away from reaching the goal of a Swiss-Made watch incorporating every part actually made in the nation itself.

If you want to learn more about how the watch industry actually works, especially in Switzerland, stop by the biggest watch forum on the net. Watchuseek.com (WUS). You'll be able to confirm everything I've said, and learn even more. I'll tell you now though . . . You're not going to like what you find.

At the very least (no offense to my fellow members here) you'll be able to get more suggestions from a bigger collection of knowledgeable watch enthusiasts / collectors for good models within your budget.
I know some consider them rivals to Spyderco in the knife world but has anyone had experience with Victorinox/Wenger Swiss Army watches? Are they Swiss made?
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Look at their prices. No.

They do meet the 51% requirement under Swiss law to be legally called "Swiss-Made." That's about it.

I know quite a few folks who consider the Victorinox versions to be very good values. Personally, I've owned two in the past. Both quartz. One that was $200 and the other was $450. Both suffered from ridiculous Q.C. issues that honestly should not have existed. My $55 Timex expedition (also analog quartz) exhibited far better quality than my two Victorinox watches that were both returned. But once again, quite a few folks I've run into are happy with them. But yes, Swiss-Made in name only.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I have a couple Seiko's and don't follow the hobby but hear good things.

Are you looking for a quality time-piece or a Swiss watch solely for the sake of having a Swiss watch?
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Monocrom wrote:(Emphasis mine).

I wouldn't. Scumbag organization that literally lies to potential customers by actually making up a false history. Both for itself and its so-called accomplishments. It's not even a bit of exaggeration the way most watch brands practice it. Rolex tells everyone how their Explorer model accompanied Sir Hillary on his climb up mount Everest. The implication being that he chose, wore, and was satisfied greatly with a Rolex on his wrist. Not quite though. His Guide wore the Rolex. Hillary himself preferred a Smiths timepiece (British brand). That's what he actually wore on his wrist. And it too survived the climb up mount Everest every bit as the Rolex did. But Rolex excels at marketing.

Those types of examples. However, Stuhrling literally makes $#!% up! I'm not kidding. Just blatant, ridiculous, and very detailed lies about the company history and their so-called achievements. Only other watch brand out there that comes close to doing the same thing, though they don't push it nearly as far, is Invicta. Even with the issues currently facing the watch industry, no; other brands don't pull that sort of absolutely ridiculous B.S.
Take a deep breath. Now that you have, look at his budget. You're going to need to deal with a bs brand if he doesnt want a quality Japanese watch.
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

Blerv wrote:I have a couple Seiko's and don't follow the hobby but hear good things.

Are you looking for a quality time-piece or a Swiss watch solely for the sake of having a Swiss watch?
Quality timepiece to wear, I'm not looking to et into watch collecting. I like metal bracelet ones the best.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watch ... BM7100-59E

I highly recommend this watch. It was my graduation present from basic.