If you were stuck with only one knife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blade Master

Post by Blade Master »

If I could only have one knife forever, it would have to be my benchmade Emissary. Not sure why, it just feels right.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

If I had to decide between the Sage4 and Gayle Bradley I'd choose Sage4 because it is legal where I live. No cops would care about the GB where I live but just in case... Other than that I'd pick the GB because the extra 3/8" comes in handy and it has M4 steel. In the big picture these two are so close I'd hate to have to choose. I do carry the Sage4 the most.

The first thing to NOT WORRY ABOUT is how my one and only knife might scare some people into running away screaming. :D
WMR

Post by WMR »

I think Phillipsted said it all when he typed, "I guess it would depend on where I was stuck." But for 40 years I always carried a Swiss Army "Tinker." Probably went through a dozen of them either lost, stolen, worn out or broken (doing something stupid.) Then retirement and knife collecting brought me into owning Benchmade, Strider, CRKT, Chris Reeves: Sebenza, Mnandi, and Umnumzan. Now after so many Spyderco purchases that I have lost count, I always, for the past two years, carry a Caly 3.5. So in my present enviornment I vote for the Caly 3.5. In a work environment I would still want my Tinker. And in a perfect world...... I would need something with a corkscrew.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

phillipsted wrote:I guess it would depend on where I was stuck.
This is key. The tasks and requirements vary too much for any kind of reasonable response.

Of course, a nice general purpose folder like a PM or GB would fit a lot of scenarios but if I was on my own in "the wilds" ;) I'd definitely want a larger fixed blade. It makes the question impossible to answer, so I'll vote for a CF Balance. I'm "stuck" on the couch with my iPad, reading forums posts ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Dustinm

Post by Dustinm »

I would go with my Esee 3. I don't think I could brake it if I tried and it hold an edge like crazy.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Perhaps a Tuff or Szabo folder.
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

If a folder para2, fixed esee6 or any busse
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Esse 4 for a fixed, Spyderco Military for a folder.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

No choice for me. It's the Military, hands down.
O,
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

fällkniven f1.
Freman

Post by Freman »

I think it would have to be something like the Cold Steel Bushman. It chops, slices and can be added to a staff to make a spear.

I don't think a folding knife of any description would suit if TSHTF.

That said, I'd always have a Victorinox. Probably a SwissChamp as it covers everything.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Of my Folders- Strider sng
Of my spyderco folders - Southard
Of my spyderco fixed blades - forager
Out of my fixed blades - my large thin unnamed old carbon steel machete. Brilliant machete
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

Spyderco Southard, not a hard question, really ;)

but, it's one of those that comes up all the time and tries a knife lovin' persons level of commitment, that until I got the Southard, I'd have had a tough time calling it.
For me, it is what other knives have strived for, I like the grippiness of the G10 scale and the smooth side of the Ti side, curve of the handle, constant curve of the blade provides great cutting action and of course, if does flip open and locks up like a vault.

I've tried the Milly, must be my mitts are too small but the handle didn't work for me, could never bring myself to hang onto one, I have a friend that is a Milly fanatic if there ever was one, he would send me his to sharpen and tried several times to gift me one, but while it was very nice of him, I am not a collector for collection sake and would return it to him.

And yeah, when I first saw the subject line, if I were stuck with one knife, I'd want to stop the bleeding first and then seek medical attention...ASAP ;) I wouldn't be too worried about what stuck me, unless it was something really really cheap and I'd worry about what else I ended up with!
G2
"The Road to **** is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Blerv wrote:I'll put my vote for Team Stretch FRN :)

If society was getting more restrictive and sissy I would probably take my Lava Wharnie (sub 2").
I'll join the team, Stretch FRN in Super Blue or ZDP (or even VG-10). Been carrying the M2 for the week and boy did I miss the Stretch.

I will say that from the few times I'm handled a Military, I would probably be very happy with that knife also.

If we're talking about fixed blades, I would probably go for an ESEE 6 or maybe a CRK Pacific Warrior. I haven't handled a Temperance or Temp2 so I can't say how I feel about them.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

[there is only one answer for me:

The spyderco fixed blade aqua salt sheath knife.

[attach]21929[/attach]
Attachments
SpydercoAquaSaltYellow.jpg
JRShirley

Post by JRShirley »

Since I can't reasonably carry a large fixed blade every day, and the fixed blades I could always carry would be too small for some tasks, I'd pick a Black Lighweight Manix 2.

John
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

These are all some good suggestions. Lately, I have been giving serious though to a Clip Blade Spyderco Enuff. It is just large enough for most tasks, it will (though a bit long) fit in my pocket, and I can hang it around my neck. It has good steel, too. It stacks up well against the tried and true Izula. What about it?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JB3

Post by JB3 »

My 3v full tang Canyon knives original. By Brian Efros

DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Have to be the Manix 2 for me. Perfect for a variety of tasks, easy to sharpen, fits my hand like a glove and very solid lock.
Holland

Post by Holland »

kbuzbee wrote:This is key. The tasks and requirements vary too much for any kind of reasonable response.

Of course, a nice general purpose folder like a PM or GB would fit a lot of scenarios but if I was on my own in "the wilds" ;) I'd definitely want a larger fixed blade. It makes the question impossible to answer, so I'll vote for a CF Balance. I'm "stuck" on the couch with my iPad, reading forums posts ;)

Ken
hahahaha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE