Best value SHTF fixed blade, under $200?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Best value SHTF fixed blade, under $200?

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Not that I believe there will actually be an apocalypse in the foreseeable future, but I think I might want a substantial knife that can shrug off things I would not want to do with a folder. Not necessarily Spyderco branded, either. And while I would love to own a Busse Hellrazor, $600 is not something I can allow myself to spend on a knife.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would say CS Trailmaster or Recon Scout. In Spydievile however, a Schempp Rock or Rock Salt could to well. Also the Hossom line depending on the size you were looking for.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
racer88

Post by racer88 »

Someone beat me to it, but I was going to suggest the Spyderco Rock. About $130 online.

Next to a Paramilitary 2 for size reference:

Comes with a sheath:

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Esee.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

$200 is a pretty steep budget. I would prob get a Condor Knife and Tool product or an authentic Khukuri from Napal.

For a Spydie the Bushcraft or Schempp Rock is very tempting for more cash.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

The Schempp Rock is very tempting. Not sure if I should go that route, or if I should go for a Tops or Esee. I do like the fact that the rock is stainless..
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

A spydie from thr hossom like such as forager or forrester, a schempp rock - maybe a jungalas by esse
JD Spydo

Fallkniven my #2 choice

Post by JD Spydo »

If I was going to get a fixed blade production knife other than something made by the Great Spyder Factory I would go with Fallkniven. They use a lot of laminated VG-10 on many of their fixed blades and the others all have very high quality blade steel.

They also seem to have a good growing line up of good sharpening equipment as well.

I'm not at all saying that there aren't other quality choices out there but Fallkniven would be my top choice next to Spyderco.

Now for the price and if money is a serious constraint my next choice after that would be Cold Steel.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Another vote for the Schempp Rock and for Cold Steel
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

can't ever go wrong with Fallkniven that is for sure.
On the hunt for...
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

Zero Tolerance 0100. Awesome design and in CPM-3V, which gives it epic toughness. I saw a youtube vid of a guy hammering it through a 3/8 bolt.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -George Washington
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Honestly I would go Becker before I went Cold Steel. BK-2 or BK-9. The 2 is noticeably thicker (think recon scout but better), the BK-9 has the length and is surprisingly well-balanced. **** I would actually go for a KABAR over the CS Recon Scout; the RS is just too big/heavy and I don't think the steel is that nice. I have heard really nice things about both Fallkniven and ESEE (the latter being, from what I hear, kinda like Becker but with nicer handles and warranty), but never handled any of them. Any of these would be $100 or less. If you wanted to spend $200, I'd say go all the way to $300 and pick up a Green Beret (that's full price, you may be able to get used cheaper).
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

[video=youtube_share;OCCi6J1XiFA]http://youtu.be/OCCi6J1XiFA?t=32m55s[/video] I'd say $200 is my ceiling right now, and the Green Beret is just for looks.
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

With all due respect, Jeremy, if you judge a knife based on a 300lb man wearing a paintball mask while beating on its spine with a 5# sledge...and acts surprised when it breaks...you need to buy one of these...Stanley FuBar...instead of a knife.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

tobii3 wrote:With all due respect, Jeremy, if you judge a knife based on a 300lb man wearing a paintball mask while beating on its spine with a 5# sledge...and acts surprised when it breaks...you need to buy one of these...Stanley FuBar...instead of a knife.
If you've seen his other videos, a 10" Ontario old hickory butcher knife outlasts the Green Beret. They are destruction tests, and the point of them is to see not "if", but "when" a knife is destroyed.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

How big are you thinking? Enzo makes some 3-6 inch fixed blades, full tang, O1 or D2.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Pockets wrote:How big are you thinking? Enzo makes some 3-6 inch fixed blades, full tang, O1 or D2.
Anywhere from a 4" to a 10" blade.
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

They are destruction tests, and the point of them is to see not "if", but "when" a knife is destroyed.
That's like buying a car then plowing it into a tree to see if the airbags will deploy.
a 10" Ontario old hickory butcher knife outlasts the Green Beret.
Then buy the 10" Ontario old hickory butcher knife, because, apparently, it is the "best" according to his videos.

Plus, it's only $15.79 at Amazon, so you can buy a dozen of them and still be under $200!

There is a difference between using and abusing a knife. As anyone can tell you, a knife is the most expensive screwdriver/hammer/chisel/prybar/shovel you will ever ruin.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

tobii3 wrote:if you judge a knife based on a 300lb man
Hey now.... Easy... You're getting a little close to home here. ;)

Ken
玉鋼
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

Ha ha...no offense intended Ken!