Anybody using weapon lights?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thanks for the input guys. I've considered a few other options too. Like a permanent flood light. I do have to find a way to mount it that it won't be accessible from outside my fence since site prep is a common MO here, where the thieves work on the security arrangements some days before the B&E. For instance, working on window grills or lights a few days before so they can just go directly to B&E. I'm sorry if I make it sound that bad, it's not really that bad but for a lot of instances, this is precisely what happens. Also the floodlights themselves might become a target for thieves.

I also don't want to be backlit by my own floodlghts especially since if there's somebody outside, he'll have been there before me so he can hide himself. Additionally, I'll be exiting from my gate so anybody there will know precisely where I'm coming from. I might as well come from darkness and have control over my light source. Usually when I have cleared the immediate area in front, I put my light off so I can watch and move a bit in the dark with my back to a wall.

****, but this really sounds so mall ninja but I do have to address my concerns in some way.

Anyway, thanks for all you input everyone, and the more ideas the better because I'm sure there are a lot of angles that I haven't even remotely considered.
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

The only thin I can think of is NV. Images are to large so click the links...

http://s19.postimage.org/rnmi5k8f7/IMG_0070.jpg

http://s19.postimage.org/7t51x6ilf/IMG_0081.jpg
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Henry - get both wrote:The only thin I can think of is NV. Images are to large so click the links...

http://s19.postimage.org/rnmi5k8f7/IMG_0070.jpg

http://s19.postimage.org/7t51x6ilf/IMG_0081.jpg
Oh yeh! Now that's a good idea. Just very pricey.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hey, how long is your pistol barrel Chuck? :D

http://elektrolumens.com/Search-Rescue/ ... treme.html
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:Hey, how long is your pistol barrel Chuck? :D

http://elektrolumens.com/Search-Rescue/ ... treme.html
Haha! I usually have a tk35 or a tk15 on a lanyard, in my other hand. I can get it into action as I see that the immediate area outside a door or the gate is safe. The mounted light is just to see outside while my other hand is opening the portal. It's also applying and practicing how I train, like slicing the pie, looking from cover, etc...

Oh so mall ninjaish...but what else can I do? Might as well not train if I don't live it... :p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I totally got ya bud :) . With the price of lights I would probably cover my bases well as you are.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

This might sound strange coming from me but I'm not a fan of night sights nor weapons lights, I have trained myself to move and shoot in low light situations using only the cylinder on a revolver or top of my slide on a semi-auto as an index point from which I point and shoot....quite accurate with practice.....no light to give away your position no light for my opponent to index a head shot with...only light will be some small muzzle flash from flash retardant power bullets on the way to the target, and after that.......ABM......ALWAYS BE MOVING..................Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:This might sound strange coming from me but I'm not a fan of night sights nor weapons lights, I have trained myself to move and shoot in low light situations using only the cylinder on a revolver or top of my slide on a semi-auto as an index point from which I point and shoot....quite accurate with practice.....no light to give away your position no light for my opponent to index a head shot with...only light will be some small muzzle flash from flash retardant power bullets on the way to the target, and after that.......ABM......ALWAYS BE MOVING..................Doc :)
Great reply doc, thanks!
Henry - get both

Dr. Snubnose wrote:This might sound strange coming from me but I'm not a fan of night sights nor weapons lights, I have trained myself to move and shoot in low light situations using only the cylinder on a revolver or top of my slide on a semi-auto as an index point from which I point and shoot....quite accurate with practice.....no light to give away your position no light for my opponent to index a head shot with...only light will be some small muzzle flash from flash retardant power bullets on the way to the target, and after that.......ABM......ALWAYS BE MOVING..................Doc :)
Sounds like a shot in the dark ;) :D :p JK

Good advice though. Just because we have lights doesn't mean we should use them.
JLS

Post by JLS »

Henry - get both wrote:Just because we have lights doesn't mean we should use them.
I agree completely, but it's always nice to have that option and be able to ID your target before firing. That's very hard to do without a light. I find carrying a light to be part of life, just like a knife and other weapons where legally allowed.

I've found the TLR-1 to be a good, relatively inexpensive pistol light if one is needed. The main issue I've had with mounted weaponlights on handguns is holsters. Most are bulky and ill suited for general use. Even if the handgun is to be used for home defense only, I would still like to have a good holster available for when you don't want it in your hand. If it's in a holster, it's still on you and moves with you. Setting it down if you need two hands is far less preferred.

Chuck, I think you have the right idea with normally using a separate light, only when necessary and NEVER when moving. That fits very well with the training I've had and the general situations that you're trying to prepare for.

Always remember that you have the best idea of what your next gunfight might look like...and I wouldn't count on it going anything like that. Our opinions are just that and you're reality is all yours...and it's very real.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JLS wrote:I agree completely, but it's always nice to have that option and be able to ID your target before firing. That's very hard to do without a light. I find carrying a light to be part of life, just like a knife and other weapons where legally allowed.

I've found the TLR-1 to be a good, relatively inexpensive pistol light if one is needed. The main issue I've had with mounted weaponlights on handguns is holsters. Most are bulky and ill suited for general use. Even if the handgun is to be used for home defense only, I would still like to have a good holster available for when you don't want it in your hand. If it's in a holster, it's still on you and moves with you. Setting it down if you need two hands is far less preferred.

Chuck, I think you have the right idea with normally using a separate light, only when necessary and NEVER when moving. That fits very well with the training I've had and the general situations that you're trying to prepare for.

Always remember that you have the best idea of what your next gunfight might look like...and I wouldn't count on it going anything like that. Our opinions are just that and you're reality is all yours...and it's very real.
Thanks JLS. I do think a light is essential in ID'ing a target. As doc said, it is possible to hit in the dark but I would like to know what I'm shooting at. There have been a few instances here of people shooting members of their own household because they failed to ID their targets first. I would hate to be in their shoes.

A holster for a gun with a light would be nice. I agree with all your points about that.
Henry - get both

JLS, Good stuff.

Chuck, Raven Concealment ships internationally. They make an awesome holster for the G22/TLR1 combo.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Henry - get both wrote:JLS, Good stuff.

Chuck, Raven Concealment ships internationally. They make an awesome holster for the G22/TLR1 combo.
Thanks Henry, that phantom is looking good. I may end up with one of those at some point.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

I do use weaponlights; an X200 and X300 by Surefire. My Safariland duty holster accomodates a WML on my SIG P229R. In the past, I used the Surefire lights integrated into the forend of shotguns, and my wife's shotgun still has such a light. I am a bit concerned when I read that folks are using a handgun-mounted WML as a primary illumination source when searching or checking an area. I am not saying it cannot be done safely, but am concerned. My current favorite light when searching is a hand-held Surefire LX2, which has a lanyard. This light is of a diameter that allows me to hold it between two fingers, like a cigar, while manipulating doorknobs, gate latches, and such.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

Regarding the Raven Concealment Phantom, I recently acquired one, to fit a Glock G17/G22 with X300 light mounted. The craftsmanship is truly excellent, and the design of the holster minimizes the bulk of the weapon/light combo. I have yet to transition to my G17, however, so cannot provide a long-term evaluation.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
Mojo51

Post by Mojo51 »

I'm a LEO and I carry my Glock 22c everyday with a TLR1 attached. It's all personal preference. Being the range master for my department I can honestly say use what you're comfortable and train to use it efficiently.
Tea Party Patriot and 3% Oath Keeper
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Mojo51 wrote:I'm a LEO and I carry my Glock 22c everyday with a TLR1 attached. It's all personal preference. Being the range master for my department I can honestly say use what you're comfortable and train to use it efficiently.
Thanks, me and some LEO friends are gonna try to set up regular night shooting range time. No one here has really trained/practiced low light shooting yet.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Interesting stuff. I live on a farm whcih can bring a different thought pattern
when thinking about protecting it late at night, which I have. I prefer a hand
held flashlight that is worth teh money. I use an Insight HX 150 and also an
HX 100. They have the push button that yo ucan quickly touch the end cap for
a peek and then release for off. They have a strobe and are programmable,
which is good to make the initial setting as light or bright as you want, which
can be handy if you want a small amount of light for you to move around and
to not give out your location.

I find this of greater value than you might think. I want to be able to get myself
into position and then watch. I want to be able to move safely without being seen.
Then you have a bright light if you need it for spotlighting etc.

Lights are funny. You need to see where you are going, but don't want to be seen.
You might spot a bad guy and hold a gun \ light on them, only to find that bad guy
no. 2, now has you in his sights.

Heck, the night sights on my Glock are great for sighting in at night, but they also
can be seen by someone else. Sometimes I wonder about them. If you are hiding
with night sights, you might be giving away your location.

It's funny when people read things like this and think that you are being a ninja
wanta be, tactical soldier poser. However, I have been in funny little situations
before and you are **** glad that you actually thought about it and are prepared
ahead of time.