A Birthday Present (day-pack/backpack)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Student

A Birthday Present (day-pack/backpack)

Post by The Student »

I was looking into some of the maxpedition packs at Howe's to get my brother-in-law for a birthday gift. He is very much into hiking and I would like to get him something he will use. One problem, I don't really follow these things and I don't know what makes a good day-pack. Any input would be much appreciated.

Post by 1623 »

Your choice will depend on how much gear he likes to carry. I'd suggest starting the process by looking at the Versipack line up like the original Fatboy, the Jumbo or perhaps the Mongo.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Versipacks-c4.htm

I like to take short, half day trail hikes and find that my Fatboy GTG suits my minimalist carry approach. The quality of construction is very good and the features are well thought out and useful. I use a Micro Organizer as a small first aid kit in my pack as well.

I also have an Anemone pouch that I've been using for every day carry items over the past year + and it still looks new and hasn't lost a bit of its structural integrity.

The Gearslinger line up also has some nice bags like the Sitka and Kodiak or the Monsoon if he prefers a traditional backpack style over the sling type.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/GEA ... ies-c2.htm

The Fatboys (in one iteration or another) seem to be very popular and I've read good things about the Sitka as well.

If you're not under a time constraint there are many excellent Maxpedition overviews and reviews on You Tube that will give you a nice "in hand" perspective on size, capacity and use.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

If you're looking at the Maxpedition brand soley I'm a huge fan. I have 3 of their bags and keep my knives in two of their padded cases. I use this one, a Versipack Jumbo IIRC, as my daily EDC but if there are so many options it's hard to pick. Does he carry a laptop or anything big?

I also have a Kodiak which I would consider too big to carry every day but it's not much bigger than a standard bookbag styled backpack. For a bookbag styled bag, I have a Pygmy Falcon.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
Divo

Post by Divo »

A person that is into hiking most likely already have build up specific preferences for equipment.
Therefore its maybe best to lay the decision what to buy with him.
The Student

Post by The Student »

FroOchie wrote: Does he carry a laptop or anything big? also have a Kodiak which I would consider too big to carry every day but it's not much bigger than a standard bookbag styled backpack. For a bookbag styled bag, I have a Pygmy Falcon.
I'm not sure exactly what he carries on hikes, but he is still in college and he may dual purpose the bag. I noticed that on our camping trip he had school stuff mixed in with his gear. I would like to get him a bag that he could take on a camping trip an hold all his stuff, but not too big to take it on a half day hike and it be cumbersome.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Divo wrote:A person that is into hiking most likely already have build up specific preferences for equipment.
Therefore its maybe best to lay the decision what to buy with him.
+1
Maybe come up with a list of ideas and run it by him.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Ok if he's going to dual purpose it like that then personally I'd recommend the Falcon or maybe the Vulture. The Condor is enormous. They're all dual strap traditional style bags which are far better for the hiking aspect. If he uses it more for school, gear slingers like Monsoon and Sitka look a little cooler for a younger guy but on a long hike his back and shoulder will feel it more. I understand where the other guys are coming from but I think asking him takes away the fun of gift giving. Plus, as far as organization goes on the inside, most people with these type bags will by their own organizer for the inside. If you're concerned that much that it needs to be absolutely perfect, give him the receipt and let him exchange it before involving him in getting his own gift.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
The Student

Post by The Student »

Thanks for the advice Froochie. I do understand that guys are particular about their gear, but in the past he has mentioned getting such a bag he just didn't say a particular model. Also I have been working with my wife (his sister) and she will have to approve, as with anything I buy, before I buy it. All in all if he doesn't like it I will buy it off him, he is a broke college kid after all. :D