Do you watch Youtube videos when thinking about buying a new knife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RanCoWeAla

Do you watch Youtube videos when thinking about buying a new knife

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there like me who watches a lot of Youtube knife videos. When I first start to consider a new kniife to purchase one of the first things I do is to watch every video on that particular knife to see what other people have to say about it. I think you can learn quite a bit about a knife from these videos like the sound of it, how the blade is positioned in the handle if the tip is way down in the handles like it should be etc. I will also catch myself watching the Youtube videos even after I have ordered it to keep me satisfied until it comes in.
Bert T

Post by Bert T »

I believe all available information including Youtubes should be reviewed when considering buying anything new to you including knives.

Bert
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I prefer to glean info from the forums and respected forumites.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Watching videos gives me a sense of how a knife operates and scale. Often you get a 360 view of if too. Most vids I could get the same out of without narration.

I much prefer forum reviews. The content is on average better and the format is easier for me personally. Reviews like Mr Blonde and other folks provide are almost as good as holding the knife.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I do. You definately get a better 360 degree view and what not. Most of the people's voices annoy me, so I just concentrate on the hardware.

- best wishes, Jazz.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I do and there a few people I really enjoy, some of the reviewers are lame as people have said but I try and look for the ones I am familiar with. As others have mentioned combining the videos with the incredible info that you get from the forums really rounds out the information package.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Aside from the SHOT, A'dam, and AIWA "what's new from Spyderco" type which I watch for information, and the "hold my beer and watch this" type which I'll watch out of a morbid fascination with the extent of human stupidity if someone tells me about them, no.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Blerv wrote:Watching videos gives me a sense of how a knife operates and scale. Often you get a 360 view of if too. Most vids I could get the same out of without narration.

I much prefer forum reviews. The content is on average better and the format is easier for me personally. Reviews like Mr Blonde and other folks provide are almost as good as holding the knife.
+1! But if I'm looking at a Spyderco knife, I usually only watch a couple videos to see how the knife looks in hand and the size of it, etc.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not always but i have. It just depends on if i can get my hands on one at the knife shop before i buy or not. I did watch the Mike Janich Yojimbo 2 video about a dozen times before buying one. Every other knife i've bought was handled before buying.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:Not always but i have. It just depends on if i can get my hands on one at the knife shop before i buy or not. I did watch the Mike Janich Yojimbo 2 video about a dozen times before buying one. Every other knife i've bought was handled before buying.
We don't have a lot of knife shops around our neck of the woods (and I sense with the way the world is going, more and more brick & mortar type stores will be going by the way side in favour of the www) so I end up having to shop and research on line. I would much prefer to see the knife physically but I really rely on YouTube and the forum to help me make my decision.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I search for information wherever I can find it including youtube. I have gotten good information from youtube but it can also be frustrating and take a long time. The average youtube video includes the guy talking for 5 minutes before actually doing anything with the knife, and sometimes talking for 5 minutes before anything actually moves in the video.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I watch videos on Youtube. They make me appreciate the forum. I basically got onto this forum over a review of the Lava posted by KaliGMan. I trust his reviews and a few other people's, but only when they have extensive martial training. Michael Janich is one of the few others, and like EvilD, I enjoyed his review of his knife.

I have grown to dislike the average ilk of youtube reviewers, as I can get almost as much information from reading the specs of the knife myself. I guess a modicum of literacy has its benefits. I find the amount of whining about cost or personal opinions of how something should be built like a tank while weighing less than a penny to be ridiculous, and cutting through bottles to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. As a former serious practitioner of martial arts and still knowledgeable FMA/Iaidoka, the mall ninjas just make me sad for humanity.

I guess I can also say that I hate virtually all reviews of Chen Hanwei 'sam-r-eye sords,' and find them to be equally if not more nauseating than the average knife review.

That said, if Spyderco ever makes my knife, I'm posting a youtube video explaining why and how I designed it.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:We don't have a lot of knife shops around our neck of the woods (and I sense with the way the world is going, more and more brick & mortar type stores will be going by the way side in favour of the www) so I end up having to shop and research on line. I would much prefer to see the knife physically but I really rely on YouTube and the forum to help me make my decision.
This is why I almost always buy from him when he has what I want. In fact the only ones I haven't got from my local shop are the ones that were sold out like the 20cp Para 2 I had to order. I figure a few bucks over online prices is a small price to pay to have a shop local where I can handle before I buy. He usually matches online prices anyway.
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

well, the 2 knives I want most are tuff and ZT0561----- Im out of videos I think hahahha
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:Watching videos gives me a sense of how a knife operates and scale. Often you get a 360 view of if too.
I find that aspect VERY handy when researching. Also gives you some idea of "size" though you never know how small or large the reviewers hands are... ;)
Blerv wrote:Most vids I could get the same out of without narration.
So true, but I love when they speak really knowledgablely about something and are just flat out wrong. Not opinions, like "ZDP is hard to sharpen" but facts that, well, just aren't ;) Very entertaining. The key is to do all your research (anything, not just knives) before watching the videos. Then you can just sit back and enjoy the show.
Blerv wrote:I much prefer forum reviews. The content is on average better and the format is easier for me personally. Reviews like Mr Blonde and other folks provide are almost as good as holding the knife.
Always the first place to start and you are right, Wouter's are top shelf. Both words and pics.

Ken
玉鋼
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

SolidState wrote:That said, if Spyderco ever makes my knife, I'm posting a youtube video explaining why and how I designed it.
Oh SNAP! That, my friend is a stroke of brilliance. Not on YouTube. Here! Spyderco needs a video review area where the designer reviews their design. For all of them. I so LOVE that idea!

Ken
玉鋼
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Watch, yes. Listen to, not very often. I like be able to see the knife being handled and used. I also like to see it next to other knives with which I'm familiar if possible. I don't really have a lot of interest in hearing how the knife performs, as I'd rather find that out for myself.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
BAL

Post by BAL »

I have in the past until i figured out that most of the videos are more about the person
getting his 15 minutes of fame and that they like to hear the sound of their own voice.
I have more important thigns to do with my time, like trim the toenails or clean my muck
boots. I can get more info from posts on this website than any of these look at me videos.

However, I am interested to listen to the real experts, such as Sal or Eric, Michael Janich,
Ed Schempp, Gail Bradley etc,
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:This is why I almost always buy from him when he has what I want. In fact the only ones I haven't got from my local shop are the ones that were sold out like the 20cp Para 2 I had to order. I figure a few bucks over online prices is a small price to pay to have a shop local where I can handle before I buy. He usually matches online prices anyway.
I feel the same as you for a few dollars more I would far rather support the local store, I am in business myself - but when they are charging $240for a military ... it makes it hard.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:I feel the same as you for a few dollars more I would far rather support the local store, I am in business myself - but when they are charging $240for a military ... it makes it hard.
Yeah that's insane. I'd go into that shop and level with them and tell them how much i'd pay and show them i can still get it cheaper online, and if they'd work with me on the price i'd buy from them but that's over $100 over what i can get them at online. I usually don't even get charged tax at my local shop, he tells me a flat dollar amount and i buy or pass. He's never given me a price that i felt was unreasonable, and if it isn't the same as the going price online then it's never more than like $10 more. I can handle that for the person to person interaction and handling before buying, i just wish he kept more in stock. He'll order anything i want but ordering usually means buying.
~David