G-10 scales need better grip

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

G-10 scales need better grip

Post by jackknifeh »

I've made scales of G-10 (smooth) and would like to know if there is a product to put on the scales to give them more grip. I'm thinking about something to brush or spray on that dries 100% clear. Shinny or matt finish would be another thing to consider. That's just me thinking though, any thoughts or recommendations are welcome. How about clear fingernail polish or things that may be in the house already? Wife used to paint ceramics and used spray to finish the pieces. That's kind of what I'm picturing. I just don't know how that stuff would hold up to a lot of touching, dirt, water, sweat, etc.

Jack
rycen

Post by rycen »

The only thing I can think of would be this but I'm unsure on how it would hold up with use.

http://www.amazon.com/Performix-0758151 ... B000LNN11G
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

I know sand blasting smooth G10 gives it a lot more grip.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

You could get a small file and make jimping on the sides of the handle (where your palm and finger tips go).
You could sand them with coarser sandpaper (maybe a tad more subtle).
Clip

Post by Clip »

I'd sandblast too and follow precautions you used when working with it.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Or you could gouge some Anso style grooves into the g-10 for a better grip without destroying the look....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Or you could gouge some Anso style grooves into the g-10 for a better grip without destroying the look....Doc :)
That might work too. I did that once, and found that the first scale was easy, but trying to make a matching one was a nightmare.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Or you could gouge some Anso style grooves into the g-10 for a better grip without destroying the look....Doc :)
I did this a couple of weeks ago. It helps quite a bit even though they are smaller than the ones you are thinking of I believe.

Jack
mattman

Post by mattman »

Hey Jack-
If you have a couple of scraps you would like me to blast for you to test results on, just drop them in the mail to me.
My cabinet has a fairly coarse abrasive in it right now, and I will be switching it over to glass beads soon for some other parts I need to clean...
I can run the test scraps through both grits, and you'll have a good idea from there...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

mattman wrote:Hey Jack-
If you have a couple of scraps you would like me to blast for you to test results on, just drop them in the mail to me.
My cabinet has a fairly coarse abrasive in it right now, and I will be switching it over to glass beads soon for some other parts I need to clean...
I can run the test scraps through both grits, and you'll have a good idea from there...
I appreciate the offer and I will take you up on that. All I have right now that is usable is a piece of blue G-10 just like the red ones I used on the Sage4. If you could blast both sides with the different grits I would cut it for one side of the Sage4. I already thought about using it for the Sage4 just to see how it looked with two colors. If I could also try the blasted texture that would be great.

To eliminate my ingnorance, I'm assuming you mean sand blasting. Is that right? The only sand blasting I've seen is when they blasted the launch platforms and buildings at Cape Canaveral to get old paint and/or corrosion off. I was lucky enough to work there for 4 years as my first tour in the AF. But, I wouldn't want you to put my poor lonely piece of G-10 through anything like that. :) I guess I'm hoping you have smaller equipment. :D

PM me your address and I'll send the piece, and thanks.

Jack
mattman

Post by mattman »

Jack-
Sorry it took me so long to reply...
Yes, I mean sand blasting. This will be my first go 'round with texturing scales, so that's why I was asking for scraps, first, so I can practice, and you can check the results, and see if you approve. (Also, I want to work with the specific material you have, so there is no question as to what the final result will be...)

I will be PM'ing you post-haste.

Matt